North End ???

• fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

I was wondering if Steve or anyone fished the Wealthwood area this weekend. What were the ice conditions, and how was fishing? I’ve got it bad.

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

A buddy of mine fished at Barnacle(sp?) Bills Saturday and the ice was questionable. Definitely no ATV due to 7″ and lots of cracks. He was allowed access for free because the ice was not safe. I fished the south end on Saturday and had 8.5″ of good ice out to Sloppy Joe.

steve-fellegy
    Resides on the North Shores of Mille Lacs--guiding on Farm Island these days

The north ice is “mostly” 6-7 inches.

That said, remember the open water stretches? That went from Barnacles west and then south to Spirit Island–continuous? And who knows where else on the main lake? THAT “new” ice is ONLY 3-4 inches. As of this past Saturday morning!

So—-the guys that went to the East Flat this past weekend drove over THAT ice on the way. Zero brains! I hope they read this!

One 4 wheeler went down in 34′ out of Agate Bay last week–I hear from the guy who pulls vehicles out of the lake.

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

synthes
    Plymouth, MN

I drove around the north and east side of the lake on friday. stopped by several resorts to talk ice conditions. No one out on the north end…there was a good size heave out on the first break. Red door told me 5-7 out to the first break, then 2-4 shakey ice out to the second break. No one out of Castaways, Agate had his access closed off (four wheeler through the ice out in front) Old lakeside had a couple people out right in front and several people out front hunters. George told me they checked ice out to two and three mile. Lots of cracks…use caution, but 7-8 inches out. He said that the ice is really bad down in front of agate area and not to run that way. Several people out on hunters point on foot, atv/snowmobile. lakeside reef was covered, others out to three and two mile. south end..saw people in all the bays and out as far as sloppy joes…and some people north of spider island. I don’t know where they were traveling on at…oh yea, and several shacks out from big point.
    Went out of hunters sat. and sun. Some big heaves out just west of lakeside and three mile. The ice was making alot of noise on sunday. There are cracks all over…some bigger than others. There are also several areas not far out there that DO NOT look good…use caution. Good Luck if you get out.

steve-fellegy

I’ve actually heard, recently via this site, that I am being “too negative” when it comes to the ice safety/thickness issues presently at Mille Lacs.

I doubt that but I’ll just say after you stand next to a kid wearing blaze orange, after being shot, you maybe emphasize safety, GENERALLY, a wee bit more. ‘Nuf said!!

Back to the ice—-I really think, after last nights 10 degree ice making temps and another tonight likewise, that the main lake “new” ice will be in the 6″ range and be ripe for ATV access by the middle of this week. The “old” ice will be in the 7-10″ range for sure, that surrounds those “new” ice areas. Of course, the expansion cracks will be an issue as always and could break off while crossing–anytime–anywhere–without a form of bridging.

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

Good points Steve. This is why you should always check in at a resort to find out IF there are trouble spots. Most resorts do checks regular and put bridges in areas where they suspect problems. Use common sense and if it looks risky…it IS. It’s still early Ice.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I appreciate the honest reports Steve.

big g

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

Steve, I appreciate you telling it like it is. In the case of the Agate Bay wheeler, the guy who went through is my buddy’s co-worker. The story goes that he could not SEE the difference between the ice at 7″ versus the ice at 2″ because it was so clear. Cost him $400 to have it pulled from the lake once he climbed out of the water and made it back to shore.

hwalleye18
    Coon Rapids MN

Keep the reports coming steve nothing wrong with honesty and informed opinions.

steve-fellegy

Quote:

Steve, I appreciate you telling it like it is. In the case of the Agate Bay wheeler, the guy who went through is my buddy’s co-worker. The story goes that he could not SEE the difference between the ice at 7″ versus the ice at 2″ because it was so clear. Cost him $400 to have it pulled from the lake once he climbed out of the water and made it back to shore.

That’s EXACTLY the scenario I was trying to warn everyone about the past week or more. The guys that have ventured to the flats the past few days have just been lucky. The 4 wheeler setting on Garrison Reef this past weekend and the one out from Pike Point a half mile both crossed 2-4 inches of ice to get there. Luck–that’s all that saved them from the same mess your buddy got into.

ALL for a fish?

Steve Fellegy
    218-678-3103

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Steil, Grow and I accessed the lake from the west side this weekend. Ice depth was 6″ – 8″ in MOST places. In SOME places we found 3″ of milky ice that wasn’t suitable for walking on. Throw in a 3 foot wide crack recently healed over with half an inch of ice and guys need to actually keep their eyes open and their brains engaged instead of pointing the wheeler towards the lake and hitting the throttle.

In the day and a half we fished the area we saw one wheeler dump the front end in a smaller crack and another sled nearly run across the wider crack… it took a last second 180 degree power turn to avert that potential disaster.

The most telling thing we heard about the north end ice conditions was the fact that we kept running into the same group of locals that normally fish out of Myr Mar… and they weren’t having any part of the conditions up on that end of the lake.

One of the guys, like Steve, has decades of experience on the lake and he said… next weekend, at the earliest.

bucky12pt
    Isle Mn

I for one rely heavily on your reports steve! When someone lives on the lake for that many years and see the changing environment day to day I will take his advice anyday of the week. Keep up the good work, some of us really appriecate it!

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I second what bucky said, and thank you!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Keep up the reports Steve. Some of us dont have much experiance ice fishing on the lake and need a honest report.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I have a hard time understanding why someone wouldn’t be thrilled that Steve is taking the time to give updated ice condition reports and adding in his opinion on what is and isn’t safe.

We’re glad to have you here and grateful for your input, Steve.

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

with me being a Pollock I will have to say a big thumbs up to Steve for the reports. I am a Pollock who gets stuck in the tree and if you wave at me with both hands (because I think I have a freind. I wave back and fall out of the tree , because I think you like me.) . I wave back with both hands happily falling out of that darn tree . It is great to know that you report for safety instead of “business in the area”, just makes it easier to rely on the reports that you post on the site. Also checking with the resorts before heading out on the ice . makes it easier to be able to go home to the family after the fishing is done.

Broncs

fisheyes925
    Sandstone, MN

Thanks Steve. Your reports are a reality check as I sit here talking myself into venturing out there. I can talk myself into just about anything Thats usually how I get myself in trouble.

steve-fellegy

The north end is in a unique air mass right now. It’s 7 above here. 12 in Brainerd and gets about 10 degrees warmer as you go south every 50 miles. Pretty good ice making here—a little ice making on JACKS south end and no ice making south of the lake.

Again—planes flying the lake on Sunday afternoon(Dec. 17th) saw open patches of water! “Scattered” in the “middle sections”

of the lake. Reports now verified!

Those areas AND the areas that have “new” ice from last week will STILL need 3-5 nights of single digit temps to be safe. At least! IF the snow stays off.

103 miles of walleyes and perch within 1/2 mile of shore……

Steve Fellegy

218-678-3103

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Just an FYI. When someone goes down and is lost in Mille lacs. The first person they call is Steve.

Lets not have Steve looking for anyone..

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.