Mille Lacs Report West Side 11/04/06

• shayla

Well, I just don’t know where to begin with this report? It was just one of those nights a walleye fisherman realizes why it was he was born! First off, I sincerely want to thank Calvin Svihel for taking me along last week as his “net-man”. He was kind enough to show me the ropes out there and it paid off tonight! So Cal, thanks again for finally getting my lazy butt out on the big pond after all these years!

Tonight I was joined my Father-inlaw, Max Zahler. Normally Max isn’t a cold-weather type of guy, but after coaxing him out on to pool 2 last weekend and having him actually live thru the experience, I thought “what the heck”, and asked if he’d be interested in a full-moon foray to Mille Lacs. Max and I launched at a very busy Terry’s on the west side about 5 pm. We began our trolling with #12 husky-jerks in Tennesee Shad and Firetiger. Well, it didn’t take long before we found the walleyes. I started us off with 4 eaters for the box and one nice perch as a bonus-fish. I noticed Max wasn’t getting any fish on firetiger, so we tied-on a gold colored #14 husky-jerk and he was “off to the races”, boating several of his own personal bests on walleye. His first one was a nice 23″ fish, followed by successively larger fish! Not to be out-done, I also tied on gold and from that point on we were into some very nice large walleyes! We mainly trolled St. Alban’s bay in about 6-8′ of water, lures running 50-75′ back of the boat. We also spent some time in Garrison bay where we found fewer, but larger fish! The moon was full and it appeared that many other guys were taking advantage of it and boating some nice walleyes of their own. Here’s my largest for the night, and my all-time largest Mille Lacs Lake walleye, measuring 29″ on the dot!

shayla

And here’s Max’s biggest for the night, a nice fat 27″ fish!

shayla

And the release!

shayla

Just a nice “average” fish for the night!

shayla

….and another!

shayla

….and another!

shayla

Fishing was GOOD! I think you get the message! I encourage anyone who hasn’t tried this fall trolling to get up there and give it a try….it is a ton of fun!

shayla

….oh, and look-out for deer on the way home!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

Thanks slip! What were your speeds? Great report!

dd

shayla

Sorry about that, we were trolling at 1.1mph most of the night until the wind picked up….then we boosted her up to about 1.3-1.4mph just to stay parallel to shore, but only managed one fish at that speed. Figured we had a good outing so we packed it in and loaded the boat shortly after midnight.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

What was the air temperature and the wind speed before 12 midnight? Does anyone know why gold would work? Has it got to do with the full moon thingy? But I think the moon must have set by then.

TSCTSC
    Rochester, MN

BTW, did u guys REALLY post those reports and replies at 3 in the morning???

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

We did equally as well last night on the west side with 18 total eyes in 4 hours with two guys. The biggest being 27″ with numerous nice slot fish 25-26″‘s throughout the night. Firetiger HJ’s and black/chrome working best. 1.1-1.3 mph in 6-7’ of water seemed to work best. Plenty of boat traffic still to deal with but plenty of action to go around as most all boats were steady catching fish. Boy was Terry’s packed with rigs.

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Dave and Max,

Nice report, and very nice fish.

Yes it was toooo nice of a night to not be on the lake, over all the fishing was very good.

Read Derek’s report in the report section.

the fish are all very healthy…

Tsc, Yes people do make posts at 3am. A good trip, big fish, put the boat away, and relax for 30 minutes on IDA, and share your night with others, so everyone can enjoy your trip. Then hit the rack and sleep in….

and to answer a couple of your other questions–The air temps were above freezing all night, around the mid-30’s was prob the lowest temp. And NO, the moon does not set while night fishing during the full moon phases. It comes up early evening, and is directly overhead mid-night to 1am..

Lure color gold, if some colors are not producing, it is recommended to change colors and/or lure types til you find what the fish want.. if that deveolops into a pattern, switch all your rods to that lure and color, and stay flexible to change again if they change their mind again, which happens.

Jack..

bgrotte
    Rogers, MN

Slip-

Looks like you and Max had a lot of fun!!!

I bet Max really enjoyed that!! I wish I could of been there….

Great Report

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

Nice fish Slipsinker! Congrats on your personal best on Mille Lacs.

Chris Meisch
    Ramsey, MN 55303

Looks like fun! Congrats!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.