After ice out perch?

• smokercraft

I never seem to hear much about perch fishing between ice out and opening day. Was wondering what type of structure they will be on before, during and after spawn? Do they stage near spawning grounds in the shallower water late in the ice season? I never seem to see any boats fishing early open water season in Wahkon Bay and was wondering why. Any info would be appreciated.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I’m no expert, but hooks and I bumped into a school of perch last April while searching for crappies in Isle Bay. (Weekend of April 23/24) We were tossing simple hook and bobber combos baited with minnows. Stayed on the move working shorelines until we hit a school. Tossed out the anchor and jerked perch from that location for a couple hours. Will make a point of doing that again this year. We were in 8-10 FOW near a weed line. (Pretty much describes all of Isle bay I know.) But I’d expect perch to be anywhere in there this year. Lots of fish in the lake, and like you said, not many if any boats out…

Good Luck.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

They spawn right after ice out on the sand and gravel in the bays. The cattails in Isle bay have always been good to me. I havent tried for them in Wahkon Bay but I would try the shallow shoreline that have rocks and sand. The perch fishing can be some of the best of the year in the spring.
    Like Jon said, drift with a bobber combo until you connect with fish then anchor up. You gotta sort through them. Lots of male fish that will milk all over the boat. Keep a few for lunch and release the rest as the eggs need these males to finish the job..

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.