Best outing ever

• jasonhoerter
    Minnesota

We all know the drama involved with Mille Lacs these days. I haven’t fished the lake in several years and decided to give it a shot on Sat. afternoon for smallmouth. Started on the southeast side and did nothing for two hours. The wind was frustrating and I was beginning to feel sorry for myself when I pulled up one another reef and hit the mother load.
    I was throwing a 1/4 ounce pink/white hair jig with a 4″ pink/white Moxi over the rocks. I slowly retrieved it over the bottom in 8ft of water when felt my first tick right next to the boat. It was a respectable 17″ fish and I was on the board. Over the next 1 1/2 hours, I boated over 20 smallies 4lbs and bigger! One three consecutive casts I popped a 4lb, 4.5lb and a 5lb pig. As the bite turned on, I reeled faster and actually ripped the jig across the bottom. Two hard rips and then kill it. They’d crush it on the pause.

There aren’t too many places in our state that a person can experience fishing like this and I hope our government doesn’t destroy it with it’s new regulations.

greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

My whole day was a lot like the beginning of yours! My father-in-law and I fished also fished the south-east side, in the same FOW, hitting the same kind of structure. But we never did hit the mother load. Actually, we zeroed on smallies. Got the skunk out of the boat only with a rogue Northern.

Congrats on findin’ and crushin’ ’em!

Jack Naylor
    Apple Valley, MN

Trashman
    Great time, Congrats on the nice Bass.
    Jack

fishin
    Blaine, MN

Mille Lacs has some great smallie fishing, I have to get there soon. Congrats on the success.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.