Cormorant thoughts?

• smokercraft

I’m well read on the treaty issues but one thing I haven’t heard about much is the increase in the number of cormorants that call Mille Lacs home. In the last 12 years that I’ve had a place on the south end I’ve noticed a drastic increase in their numbers. Just a guess but there has to be at least 500 to 750 of them around all summer now. I think the DNR should start looking at thinning out their numbers immediately. From the Leech lake studies its been shown each one will eat 1 pound of fish a day! In the course of a 7 month long season that really adds up to alot of baitfish, perch and small walleyes. All of which we are in short supply of. This could be the first step in the lakes recovery.

blufloyd

All in favor of breaking all treaties. If we got to bomb Tokyo again to get the birds on the vermin list, why put it off.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

There’s a lovely thought.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The cormarants had almost zero reason as to why leech collapsed. You think it might have had something to do with massive over fishing and spawning habitat loss? The birds were just a easy scapegoat! Look at what happend when they tightend the slot and limit. Remember when you point one finger there’s four more pointing back at you…

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

There’s a lovely thought.

They sure did a good job of rebuilding Tokyo, I’d have to admit.

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

Quote:

I’m well read on the treaty issues but one thing I haven’t heard about much is the increase in the number of cormorants that call Mille Lacs home. In the last 12 years that I’ve had a place on the south end I’ve noticed a drastic increase in their numbers. Just a guess but there has to be at least 500 to 750 of them around all summer now. I think the DNR should start looking at thinning out their numbers immediately. From the Leech lake studies its been shown each one will eat 1 pound of fish a day! In the course of a 7 month long season that really adds up to alot of baitfish, perch and small walleyes. All of which we are in short supply of. This could be the first step in the lakes recovery.

…12ga. SHOOT AWAY JUST DONT GET CAUGHT. …RRR

super_do
    St Michael, MN

Quote:

The cormarants had almost zero reason as to why leech collapsed.

Quote:

I strongly disagree with this.

Quote:

Look at what happend when they tightend the slot and limit.

Quote:

They also happened to stock millions of walleyes in there as well as putting the slot in place to bring it back.

Natives net Leech as well. You just don’t hear about it. We watch them pull their nets every opener.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Personally, I blame the wolves for the drop in walleyes.

<— please note

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

Back in 2003 i worked at a resort on Leech. When the big flock would fly over it pretty much blotted out the sun for 30 seconds. Impressive sight to say the least.

I always thought it was cool watching them hunt together, leap frogging each other to stir up the fish. Most people griped about them and talked about wiping them off the face of the earth. I liked them, but what do I know?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.