Lead Core/Open Water

• fish509
    St. Michael

So I want a new toy and I wanna use it this weekend… My buddy and I are hitting ML this week. We both want to learn how to use lead core and specifically basin trolling on ML. We need advice on what reels/rods etc to add to the collection. Anyone who isknowledgeable about both, can you send me a PM on equipment and ideas on where to start on ML. I’m tired of reading the posts and need to get in on the action. Thanks for any help.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

What is your price point for a new combo?

bigcrappie
    Blaine

Do not buy it at Gander Mountain, Cabelas has some line counter combos that look nice.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Recent Leadcore Post

Everything you need is in this post. Brad Juaire’s last report has the information you need on where to start.

Cabela’s
    Depthmaster reel-size 30 or 35
    Depthmaster rod-9′ Planer Board
    Line-18 lb. Cabela’s brand
    Mono or flurocarbon leader-10 lb.

If you want to meet me at the Rogers store some night this week, I would be happy to help you spend your money. Or you could just hire me as a guide this weekend and then you could decide which rod and reel combo you like and go shopping after.

corey-studer

I’m by no means an expert, but I have had pretty good luck with the 8’6″ Mr. Walleye Telescopic rods: http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22174&pc=2310
    And Okuma Magda 20DX reels (can hold up to 6 colors): http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=22482&pc=3976

There’s a lot out there for combos and a lot of different price points. Just remember, you will have the rod in the rod holder the majority of the time… Both the Daiwa’s and Shimano’s are very nice, but the Okuma gets the job done for me. No need for a great drag if you know how to free spool.

I generally tie the lead directly to the reel and use a nail knot to my leader. If in a pinch, I will tie an albright knot, but will take about 2 inches of lead out for intial “loop.”

travp
    Blaine , Mn

I’m running 9’6″ Mr. Walleye LC rods paired with Daiwa Accudepth 47’s. It seems to be a good combo for me.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.