On The Water Training With Jason Betzler

• chriswallace
    Andover, MN

Recently I sat down with a few of my employees and asked them to tell me their strong suits and what areas in the fishing world they are weak at, and then I had to figure out, what am I going to do make them more well rounded. So we went fishing!

I took a couple of my employees up to Mille Lacs for some “on the water training.” Neither of the guys have had any experience in the leadcore or planer boards.

What I want from these guys to be able to know as many different techniques and tips to help the customers that come into our doors. I really think that leadcore and open water trolling will only get more and more popular, especially with the younger crowds.

So we hopped into Jason Betzler’s boat and away we went. We only could fish until noon than we had to be back at the store. We really didnt need much more time than that. Jason dropped us off with our limits of eaters and some perch and back to work we went smelling of fish slime and big smiles on their faces! Jason did an excellent job explaining them what he looks for in areas to fish, how to scout. The small critical details that are needed to be successful on doing this gig. After about an hour of teaching, JB and I got to sit back and enjoy the weather and make the boys do all the work.

Was a great learning process for them, something that can not be taught in store, and will pay off in the future for them.

Deal was gravel and mud, 24-28 fow most of the time with a little over 3 colors out. The perch rocker put fish in the boat as well as the purple and tullibee shadling. The Beckman got a good work out in with multiple doubles on the day.

Thanks again for a great time Jason! The fish were excellent! The boys are still talking about it and they each own their own set of LC set ups and boards….

Doubles

JB’s stringer only holds so many…need another one

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Great report Chris and I commend you for investing in your employees that way! It shows you sincerely care about them and I’m guessing that will pay off for you big time down the road. The open water trolling system is truly an effective and enjoyable way to catch walleyes. I also consider it the most consistent big fish presentation.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.