Fishing Leech for the first time!

• jech84

Well much to my little lady’s protest, I’ll be heading up to Leech Lake this weekend and was wondering if anyone has been out fishing it. This is my first time on Leech so any help would be greatly appreciated. I have heard stories of some big fish up there and i’m really looking forward to the trip.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

I made a day trip last saturday for some perch…. Lots, lots and lots of little fish. Did manage to keep 5 fish over 10″ in a morning of fishing…You will not be able to travel on this lake unless you have a snowmobile. I seen at least 15 trucks stuck throughout the day. We were near walker fishing in 11-13 fow. Lots of people out fishing, not many quality perch yet. I will be back up to this lake later on in the spring.
    Good luck

the_grump
    Le Center

I fished the main lake over the weekend and had about the same luck. There alot of smaller perch biting, but there are some big ones too. We caught several over 13″ and one 14″. We did best fishing silt in 15′ to 17′.
    I also lost my biggest walleye of the year right at the hole .
    My buddy was landing a nice pout, and when I looked down the hole to help him there was a very large musky right on his tail.
    Be ready for the deep snow, its tough.
    Our first days catch.

jech84

Wow looks like you did very well. It would have been interesting to see if that musky would have grabbed hold. I think the guys that I’m going with are bringing an Argo so mobility hopefully wont be an issue. What type of bait were you using? Jigging Raps or spoons or what?

the_grump
    Le Center

I like to use a jigging spoon with a single hook. Something like a mega glow demon from custom jigs, the single hooks make unhooking much faster so you can get back down when a school comes thru. Jigging raps were getting fish, but it is to much trouble to unhook.

Bones
    New Prague, MN

Buckshots with a two inch drop hook worked very well two weeks ago. I suggest spooling up with some fire line there are alot of big fish in the lake, I had a fish bite through six pound fire line.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.