Devils Lake May 19 to 23

• midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

In just 2 weeks I am heading west for my first ever trip to Devils Lake, we will be staying in Michigan City. Planning to fish Devils and Stump Lake (if it is too windy). Been doing some reading and it appears casting cranks or twister tails along with slip bobbers will be the most productive way to find fish. Anyone offer any advice on depth, water temperature or structure we should look for. We will be targeting Walleyes mainly but I’m sure the Pike and White Bass will be close by. Just looking for some ideas, general area and such. I also posted this on the North Dakota General Discussion Forum.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m headed out there saturday AM. I’ll report back upon return.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Devils Lake fishing report

This report is from 2006…I know its a few years old but it will give you basic techniques to get started. Bring lots of leeches and crankbaits. Jointed #7’s were the best. The cabelas brand is good because they are cheaper. It also helps to have a rattle in them like the Cabelas jointed shad rap or even the berkley frenzy. Fish the wind. The fish relate more to wind on Devils. Have fun.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

When fishing with leeches I don’t think you can go shallow enough. I pulled a 10 lb. one out of 3 feet of water last year. Let me us know how you do and what works, I’ll be out there first week of June. Good Luck.

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

I fish DL every year around that time… Fish the wind and find warm water! It sounds like the lake is higher than ever, so there should be more water to fish. I just throw cranks until my shoulder falls off. Found better luck in the evening as the water warms.

Post a report when you return

Good Luck

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Sent you a P.M. midnight on some specific spots to check out. Like I said it doesn’t get any better than Devils Lake!!!

James I wish I would have known you were heading out there when I talked with you yesterday. Not sure who you are going with but I have some great spring spots I could have clued you in on. Good luck! Let us know how you guys do. I will be up June 1-6.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

Scott,

I’m heading out there on the 5th, which end of the lake will you be fishing? We’ll be on the east side this year for the first time so I will be trying to find some new spots. Let me know how things go.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

I stick with what I know and thats the west end and Pelican. Good luck!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Sent you a P.M. midnight on some specific spots to check out. Like I said it doesn’t get any better than Devils Lake!!!

James I wish I would have known you were heading out there when I talked with you yesterday. Not sure who you are going with but I have some great spring spots I could have clued you in on. Good luck! Let us know how you guys do. I will be up June 1-6.

Well, with the way the weather treated us, it wasn’t lack of spots that made this a tough trip. Mother Nature wins this round after throwing high winds, non-stop rain and even hail at us. When we did get out and the clouds parted to let some sun shine in we caught some nice fish… all on plastics. But for most of our two day stay it rained and the wind blew. Nasty, nasty wind!

Water temps were in the 48 – 49 degree range. We did see 50 degrees back in a shallow bay just outside the cattails. Water temps were in the upper 50’s to low 60’s earlier last week. During that time the fishing was rumored to have been HOT with big numbers coming on plastics, cranks or bobbers and bait.

We’re headed back out there on the 23rd for round two. Hopefully Ma Nature runs out of moisture by then and throws a little sunshine our way.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

thanks for the report, I want to get out there more every day. Maybe if I find out where you live James I’ll hide out in your boat the night before. If that doesn’t happen I guess I’ll have to wait until I’m out the on the 5th….just under 4 weeks away

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Well, if nothing else, I’ll have another report for you after I get back from this next trip.

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

Rarely does the wind not blow in North Dakota but man it sure has been rippn the last week. Look forward to your next report.

Which part of the lake were you targeting James?

shadrap23
    Ramsey, MN

Thanks for the report James… I’m off to DL on the 26th and can’t wait. Did you have issues with accessing your boat? Some reports are indicating a lot of the accesses are closed or roads are closed. Not sure if Grahms Island is open or not. Good Luck

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Did you have issues with accessing your boat?

No sir. No issues. But then we launched just south of Minnewaukan right off of HWY 19 (Hwy 19 is closed if you’re coming from the south) and drove the lake to get where we wanted to go. The landing there was in good shape with nice docks in place. Can’t comment on any other landings as we didn’t use them.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

If you want to inquire about other ramps on the lake you could always give JJ’s a call. Jerry is super helpful and Jason (the guy I fished with) is on the water almost every day so he’ll have the latest info.

http://www.jjsbaitshop.com/

Jason Feldner and Jerry Fenner – owners
    phone & fax number is 701-473-5440

Email: [email protected]

PerchEyes

Hey Midnight. I would start shallow for the Eyes. Get as far back as you can in the bays. A lot of the times the fish are up along the cattails in 2 foot of water. Its almost feels like your bass fishing. Another thing if you dont have luck on the east end head west. The reason for this is the east end is the deepest water. As you move west it gets shallower and this = warmer water and feeding Walleyes. Baits I would use are #5 shad raps, shadlings, countdowns and jigs with plastics. Good Luck javascript:void(0)

scottb.
    Southeast, MN

James you picked a good one to go out with, nobody probably knows that end of the lake better than Jason and I bet you fished some of the exact areas I would have told you to check out. One of my first trips up we rented a house from him during the FLW. Sure was nice to have a full kitchen along with washer and drier, after 10 days the clothes could use a wash!

Jason your post mirrored mine that I sent midnight in a p.m. When you go to Devils think more like a bass this time of year! It can be hard for us die hard MN walleye guys but it has paid off well for me since I figured that out.

Man all this Devils talk is driving me crazy! I cannot wait to get out there. I will probably see you around Jason when we are there. We are staying in Minnewauken as usual just not one of your houses this time, sorry.

cspierings
    Oregon, WI

I am out there the 19th – 26 th of June. Jointed Shad Raps and Mimic minnows have been great producers for us over the last couple of years.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James you picked a good one to go out with, nobody probably knows that end of the lake better than Jason and I bet you fished some of the exact areas I would have told you to check out. One of my first trips up we rented a house from him during the FLW. Sure was nice to have a full kitchen along with washer and drier, after 10 days the clothes could use a wash!

Well it looks like we’re headed back out on the 25th – 27th. I’ll be sure to post a report once I get back. Hopefully everyone else will do the same.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ll be posting when I get back. Would you do anything different on the east side, my first time over there? I plan on dragging cranks early in the day over structure and when the bays start to warm up try in them with plastics, bobber, and casting cranks. I guess if all else fails I can motor over to the central/west side of some known spots and try. Still over 3 weeks away though.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.