fresh water fish parasites (worms and black spots)

• kaos607

Been ice fishing for many years. every once in a while I get some fish with worms and or black spots in the fish. I usually just pick the worms out. but in a new fishing spot the are abundant. should it be a concern if eating them. Anyone have any information about these. thanks

catmando
    wis

If you ate fish, you have ate some kind of worms, pickle them or cook thoroughly .

zachary Wietzema

The black spots on sunfish where I fish normally means nothing. Looks a little different but thats it. Some people i know wont touch them but i’ve never had a problem. I wouldnt worry

White Ranger

Always use pepper when you cook those! =)

kaos607

the black spots aren’t really to much of a concern to me. its the worms that look like small spikes. they do move around. if there is a few then I just pick them out. its when there is an abundance of them is my concern

Cory Carlton

I like to hold the fillet up to a light and look through transparently. (both sides) sometimes you can miss the white worms if not. Coming from Southern Part of Iowa we do see them more. Agree on black spots. usually scrap a bit and move on with a good hot cooking vessel thereon.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

I dont care to see any of them, white worms worse. Ive eaten fish with both, but never tasted them. If i bring home fish that end up having alot, then i might not keep that species from that lake again. I find that pumpkin seeds tend to have more, so i dont keep them anymore. Caught a perch yesterday that was covered in black, like, alot. He didnt come home with me.

riverruns
    Inactive

The black spots on sunfish where I fish normally means nothing. Looks a little different but thats it. Some people i know wont touch them but i’ve never had a problem. I wouldnt worry

Yes this. They won’t hurt you.

riverruns
    Inactive

I like to hold the fillet up to a light and look through transparently. (both sides) sometimes you can miss the white worms if not. Coming from Southern Part of Iowa we do see them more. Agree on black spots. usually scrap a bit and move on with a good hot cooking vessel thereon.

jester I would hold all my fillets up to a light and look transparently but my bluegill fillets are too thick and I don’t have that kind of time with a limit.

robby
    Quad Cities

I’ve heard those worms are a parasite spread by geese. I know if I find a pond with infected fish in it, they seem to always be there. Doesnt seem to bother the fish much.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

our lake the cabin is on, some of the fish have a lot of those black spots on. the fillets don’t. been eating them for 50 years and haven’t grown extra toes or fingers yet. nuttin to be concerned with in my opinion.

Ryan Templeton

our lake the cabin is on, some of the fish have a lot of those black spots on. the fillets don’t. been eating them for 50 years and haven’t grown extra toes or fingers yet. nuttin to be concerned with in my opinion.

Like everybody else, I don’t worry and haven’t gotten sick. Mostly aesthetic IMO…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.