fox with mange????

• mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I live in Brooklyn Park and there is a fox in my neighborhood that has mange. I don’t know what to do, or who to contact. I tried the local PD / animal control, but the fox is still running around. I just say it in my yard again tonight and now it has no fur on its tail at all.

any one have any suggestions? or am I better off giving up and let nature do its thing?

munchy
    NULL

Try the DNR?

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

Try the DNR?

but who? an e-mail or even a phone number would be nice

phishingruven01
    Inactive
    southeast lower michigan

how do I contact Minnesota DNR?
    Call us: 651-296-6157 or 888-MINNDNR (646-6367)
    Email us: [email protected].
    Hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday-Friday; 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.

B-man

I’d wouldn’t bother the authorities with a natural event.

If the fox was attacking little old ladies in the parking lot…..then yeah….that would be out of the norm and worth intervention ($$)

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

If the fox was attacking little old ladies in the parking lot…..then yeah….that would be out of the norm and worth intervention ($$)

Mange is contagious and can spread it to other Fox and dogs in the area. If possible why let the animal suffer thru this if at all possible to put it down.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

IMO this is worth a call to the DNR if only because a fox with mange is going to be a threat to domestic animals in the area. He could spread the disease, but more directly a fox with mange is cold and hungry all the time. Suddenly other small dogs start looking like a possible meal that could be worth the risk.

I’ve called in a few mangey coyotes, they really come roaring in for a free meal because they are so desperate.

Any chance you could call him in and plug him with some kind of urban-safe weaponry?

Grouse

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Have any buddies or do you your self shoot bow? That would be the way I’d go about it if the local police and dnr didnt handle it.

big_g
    Isle, MN

.22 Between the eyes works… don’t ask how I know.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

.22 Between the eyes works… don’t ask how I know.

Subsonic rounds are amazing

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>B-man wrote:</div>

Mange is contagious and can spread it to other Fox and dogs in the area. If possible why let the animal suffer thru this if at all possible to put it down.

Spot on !

B-man

Another thought……

Live trap it and take it to the vet.

jester

Like I said before, just leave it alone since you’re in the city. Don’t go flinging .22 rounds through the neighborhood….

I’d love to hear one personal experience of anyone here’s dog getting mange from a fox…..

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Good luck with a bow. .22 is your best bet. Just be very careful. Shot a yote in the yard this fall that had been attacking my little lab. Didn’t see any more for a good 3-4 months

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

If you are in a good place to get a close down angle shot then a .22 with a subsonic round is your best bet. Make 1 good single shot and it’s very hard to pin point from a neighbors perspective on where that 1 single shot came from. (Not that I know anything about that)

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

There are so many variables that it is difficult to say what is best for your particular situation/location from an outside perspective. Who knows, your best bet might just be DNR or even live trapping. Just my honest opinion. Hope the best for that coyote in any case, even if they are my and my dog’s arch enemy… no wild animal deserves to suffer. But it happens!

Born

Ive have read that you may be able to feed it some dog antibiotics to help it survive mange. Not sure but maybe Ivomect or something.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.