Ford Aluminum F 150 (2015)

• cbeeksma
    Delta, WI

A friend of mine is interested in finding/buying a used 2015 Ford F 150 with the Aluminum body. Are all the F 150’s made that way now? Anyone own one of these trucks? Good and the Bad???? Thank you

Ryan Harper
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

I’ve had a ’16 & now a ’19 XLT modles and both were aluminum bodies. In my ’16 I backed into a pole doing maybe 5 mph and put a dent in my tailgate and pushed my bumper in. It was a pricey repair. I think if I had a steel body, I wouldn’t have needed the repair. Other than that, there wasn’t anything really negative. The positive is knowing that your vehicle won’t ever rust.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a 2015 F150 Supercrew with the fx4 package…. I get a new one every four years and will be finishing the trade deal on this for a 2019 just like it next week. I usually list mine on Craigslist for a week before dealer gets it and sell it just days. They are aluminum just like the 2020’s. Great trucks. I have 50k on mine and it is everything I could ask for.

munchy
    NULL

“The positive is knowing that your vehicle won’t ever rust*

But it will corrode…..

CaptainMusky

“The positive is knowing that your vehicle won’t ever rust*

But it will corrode…..

Absolutely it will. They dont use aluminum because it doesnt corrode (it does). They use aluminum to save weight to help with fuel economy and GVWR.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Absolutely it will. They dont use aluminum because it doesnt corrode (it does). They use aluminum to save weight to help with fuel economy and GVWR.

This is correct. I have a 2015 with 94k and it’s been flawless.

Out of curiosity, how many people have seen their aluminum F150 corrode so far?

John Timm

I would assume since they have only been in production for a short period of time the corrosion isn’t an issue……yet.

CaptainMusky

I would assume since they have only been in production for a short period of time the corrosion isn’t an issue……yet.

I have seen some, but not a lot yet. The Expeditions had aluminum rear hatches and they were notorious for it. It looked like the paint was just flaking off mainly around where trim and other moldings were installed by the license plate, but its actually the aluminum oxidizing and paint flaking off.

munchy
    NULL

I get a kick out of the local Ford dealers radio ad. They clearly say “Will Never RUST” a couple times during it. I just shake my head.

Yes the body is aluminum and you are correct it will never RUST. But in the presence of air and chemicals (such as salt) it will corrode. So any rock chip, deep scratch, or missed paint, will start the corrosion process.
    Also most everything hidden under that body is STEEL. And it WILL RUST/CORRODE.

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’ll take my chances with the AL corroding over steel rusting. Compare steel and AL snowmobile trailers of the same year.

Robert M

I have a 2015 F 150 , which was the first year they went to the aluminum oxide body. The frame is steel. I had my truck rustproofed as I have with all my vehicle. There is not a spot on this truck. It also has the 2.7 Ecoboost V6 and the MPGs are very good and it tows like a champ! Very happy with the truck. BTW, rest assured if it was a 2015 Ram, there’d be evidence of rust by now.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

BTW, rest assured if it was a 2015 Ram, there’d be evidence of rust by now.

There would barely be any evidence of truck after that many years. rotflol

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Robert Moon wrote:</div>
    BTW, rest assured if it was a 2015 Ram, there’d be evidence of rust by now.

There would barely be any evidence of truck after that many years. rotflol

rotflol

deertracker

I’m going to come out with a galvanized body. Anyone want one? hah
    DT

onestout
    Hudson, WI

I’m going to come out with a galvanized body. Anyone want one? hah
    DT

Current steel bodied vehicles are galvanized. It’s not dipped like you think of that they do to some trailers, that would add a lot of weight but more of a baked in thin layer.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

If a good set of tires are losing air over 2-3 days, more then likely they are on aluminum rims and have corroded.

404 ERROR
    MN

What many people don’t realize is that MANY vehicle hoods have been made of aluminum for dozens of years now, even dating back to the early 70’s. Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Plymouth, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Volvo, Mazda, Mercedes, Subaru. Many G body vehicles like the Monte Carlo had aluminum hoods and trunks. Sure, corrosion can happen but it’s clearly not as big of a scare as some make it out to be. But they’re surely more expensive to repair…

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

What many people don’t realize is that MANY vehicle hoods have been made of aluminum for dozens of years now, even dating back to the early 70’s. Ford, Lincoln, Chrysler, Plymouth, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Volvo, Mazda, Mercedes, Subaru. Many G body vehicles like the Monte Carlo had aluminum hoods and trunks. Sure, corrosion can happen but it’s clearly not as big of a scare as some make it out to be. But they’re surely more expensive to repair…

The Ford F150 has had an aluminum hood since ’97 I believe. So over 20 years ago!

john23
    St. Paul, MN

The reason you don’t see many F150’s on the road is because they corrode so easily and people generally don’t like owning them.

LOL – sorry, I just couldn’t help it.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

I have an 18 and it has been great. I had a baseball hit my front quarter panel and they were able to do dentless repair on it. The 2.7 pulled the Skeeter WX1910 nicely as well. I’m happy with it and will buy another.

B-man

My Dad bought a brand new F-150 last year and was hit while parked within the first 1,000 miles.

A year later the professionally repaired area is corroded and just went in to be fixed again.

My wife’s 2014 Grand Caravan has an aluminum hood and after three years some small corrosion bubbles appeared on the front edge by the grill. To this day not a hint of rust on the rest of the vehicle (steel).

The only car parts that are 100% corrosion proof are plastic coffee

She used to have a Saturn Vue…..that thing didn’t have a speck of rust on the body after eight Wisconsin winters and barely got washed….cause almost everything was plastic, doors, fenders and all lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.