For those of you that have dropped your phone down the hole

• Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Gotta be quick!

More to come from this trip to Webster, SD. Click Subscribe to see more.

Gregg Pfeifer
    Fort Atkinson, WI

Ha, love it! I’ve dropped phones and so much more down holes I’m considering opening a underwater used tackle shop. Wonder if anyone has ever discovered magnetic forces that draw items to open holes.

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

Hahahah

The ice hole has similar gravity to the sun. Nothing is safe, lures, phones, keeper fish, unsecured rods….

404 ERROR
    MN

I’ve gotten a phone out of a spear hole with a big treble….lifeproof case saved the phone too! Hook made it into the speaker hole on the case…after about 50 tries…

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Never dropped anything un intentionally down my holes. I know good for me! Some guys are just more clumsy than others i guess. Now that i bragged about it, my next time out, something will find its way down the hole.

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Go ice fishing, create your own model of a black hole! laugh

Seriously, though I’ve dropped darned near every other darn thing down one of those holes, never a phone. Not likely either. I’ll use my phone navionics app to get situated, then zip it up in a pocket for the day before I drill holes. Also, it’s SILENCED, so I don’t have to know if someone’s trying to get in touch with me! whistling

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

Never dropped anything un intentionally down my holes. I know good for me! Some guys are just more clumsy than others i guess. Now that i bragged about it, my next time out, something will find its way down the hole.

Bingo! waytogo

Gitchi Gummi

For those of you serial droppers out there, I saw an add for one of these hole covers recently and it seems like a good idea. Obviously you have to lift it up if you have a fish on (just like taking your transducer out of the hole), but it seems like it would keep most things from falling in the hole.

Attachments:
    1. 1-6-2017-10-28-39-AM.png

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I remember talking to a buddy about the bite while he was in his shack. I all of a sudden heard a loud bang on the phone, a cuss word, then literally water splash, then the call dropped haha! He called me back later that day. First thing I asked is if he dropped his phone down the hole, answer YEP!

Dash Adams

Tried to sneak in what was most likely my last ice fishing trip of the season. All I found was chocolate Milk Water, 3 Dink Perch, and of course the kicker dropped my Iphone down the hole. Luckily the phone was a POS. Not enuf memory. Barely could get it to charge. Was shopping for a replacement anyway – SO NO BIGGIE. For the future though are there any good products out there to keep the phone topside or tricks or hacks people use? I try to keep the phone in the pocket but you know the wifey is gonna text or call at some point and I have to use Navionics from time to time to. Would be nice to know whats out there for products. I’ve had many close calls but this phone was on a suicide mission.

buck-slayer

Lost one a few years ago. Was only able to retrieve half of my pictures lost some good ones that bums me out the most.

Ice Cap

Lost my first phone down the hole this year. I don’t care where you are in the house if you drop a phone there’s only one place it will go. All my photo’s and music playlist were in the cloud so I recovered all that. My contact list was not. Which turned out to be a good thing because my contact list need to be purged anyhow. But still $350 later I had a replacement. mad

tim hurley

JB weld it to a section of 2×4! It will float. I am worried I might drop my new aqua view in the drink.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

***I SWEAR THIS IS NOT A PLUG FOR A YOUTUBE CHANNEL! ALSO NOT TRYING TO THREAD JACK YOUR POST JOE!***

Last Winter I was fishing with PJ Vick and Jakob on Superior for lake trout. We were sitting in about 80-100ft of water. Bloop! Down goes PJ’s phone. They had a Marcum camera and got it out and panned in on the phone. PJ put on a rippin rap or jigging rap, can’t remember which one but actually hooks the phone and get’s it all the way back! One of the craziest things I’ve ever witnessed.

Scroll to the end of this video to see the clip. I only caught the tail end on my cell phone but I think Jakob actually recorded the whole scene on the big camera too, wonder if he still has that somewhere.

Ice Cap

Is it worth trying to fish a cell phone out after it has sat on the bottom of a lake for any amount of time at all? Did it work at all?

Zack Shack Guy

One of the worst days of my life was when I was ice fishing in 2003, I was 20 at the time. It was about 10 days after my father had passed away and I was fishing a local pond. During that time I was using my dad’s cell phone. Day started off well with catching a huge crappie (back then I didn’t even have a marcum or anything). Of course I felt the need to call people and tell them about it. Not thinking I put the phone in the front chest pocket of my bibs. Well, eventually I needed to change the propane on my heater and bent over to grab the heater, and plunk there goes the phone, straight down the hole. No bounce or anything, just straight in. As I sat there dumbfounded, I was already dreading informing my mother of what had happened. Finally I got the courage to go home, and inform my mom of what happened (back then there was no cloud or anything, and I wasn’t even sure we would still have my dad’s voice saved from his greeting on the voicemail).
    Well, I got home and tried to inform my mom of what had happened. Before I could say anything, she informed me that she had received a certified mail package for me from the university I was attending. That’s when my heart really dropped. Needless to say, with my dad being sick that semester, I knew my grades were going to suffer. What I didn’t know was that they suffered so much, that the university actually kicked me out based on my academic performance (or lack there of).
    So, losing my dad’s cell phone and being kicked out of college in the same day, after just losing my dad… I would say that was a pretty bad day. However, lessons were learned. I haven’t lost a cell phone down the hole since (been close many times), and after petitioning the university I was let back in, and carried about a 3.5 the rest of my time there.
    Sorry for the long post, it just brought back this memory, and thought it would be good to write it out.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Is it worth trying to fish a cell phone out after it has sat on the bottom of a lake for any amount of time at all? Did it work at all?

It did turn on. Not sure that it worked very well after that though. You’d have to ask PJ! If I remember right I think it may have been a very new (at the time) phone that had water resistance.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.