Fluorocarbon Leaders

• Bassn Dan

Does a 6-8lb. fluorocarbon leader give you any bite off protection against pike, or should I just use mono and buy more spoons???

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I normally use 8# floro, and I don’t see any reason you couldn’t go bigger floro leader if worried about pike, 10, 14, what ever you want to deal with tieing.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

think of it this way, how easy is it for you to bite off 6# fluoro with your teeth to retie? It’s even easier for a pike.

I use fluoro leaders in open water for pike and once in a while on tip ups. Need to beef up the poundage significantly.

If using small ice spoons for perch or walleye, I just buy a few extra. Heavy leaders can kill the action and I don’t get too many bite offs.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I normally use 8# floro, and I don’t see any reason you couldn’t go bigger floro leader if worried about pike, 10, 14, what ever you want to deal with tieing.

I agree with this. I’d go 14-15-17 lb range myself. Maybe even 20#.

Walleyes don’t care.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

I use 20# all the time during the open water period walleye fishing… as a matter of fact, I use it panfishing too, unless I need to scale down for finicky fish… then I’ll still use 10#… I might catch less fish, but with the nearly all the time more aggressive approach I take fishing, if the rest of the boat starts catching more than me, I know when to scale down.

During the ice season, I tip-up fish with 20# just in case a toothy critter comes a long. But the fish I am fishing for I am using 2# mono…

Mark

Bassn Dan

Thanks guys. That’s what I needed to know.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.