Flasher Mod question

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Ok, I have a simple question or two, I think….I have an old Hummin’ bird super-sixty flasher…..maybe 20+ years old. Can I find an ice transducer that will fit my unit? And then, if I can, will the signal it produces be good enough to use this as a second flasher? (My first unit is a Vexilar-F18.) (or would I be able to use it as is on the ice?) I figured somebody here will know. Thanks, in advance.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Any graph that works in open water will work on ice.
    Some work better than others.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Nice! That was the first flasher I ever owned! Worked great for me, but in terms of finding a ducer, do you already have one? I simply had a puck style ducer meant to go on a trolling motor, screwed to the bottom part of two 1X’s of pine shaped like a “T”. The top of the “T” held the works above the hole, and the weight of the ducer kept it pointing mostly straight down.

If you don’t have one, there are old timey fish electronics joints out there. In fact, the last one I visited was named “Fish Electronics” but I think they’ve moved? Not sure where too. I’m sure someone on here can point you in the right direction if you don’t already have a ducer.

That unit has a pretty sweet gain curve if I remember correctly, more similar to Marcum mechanical flashers nowadays. Good luck!

Joel

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Not familiar with any after-market ice-ducers. But use with an original transducer works fine. That was my second ice fishing flasher following the old Lowrance green box. I made a PVC pipe on the side of a bucket with a slot and a wooden dowel inside. Transducer on the dowel and could adjust the depth of the ducer hanging down with the bucket along side my hole. Battery inside the bucket and a lid with the gimbal bracket for the locator. Worked great for me for years.

Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Well, thanks, guys. I thought I could get by with the original transducer, but I was thinking I had heard something about how you needed an ice-ducer. (Probably just a salesman!) I will give it a try & see how it works! Thanks again. Good fishing!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Fish Lectronics is North of 694 on Central (Hwy 65) ave. I think it’s Fridley.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.