Wife is catching on help needed

• mr. sauger25

Ok this is to you river fisherman i have been coming down to pool4 3 times a week now past 2 weeks its about a 2 hr drive from where i live my wife loves pan fish but does not like missississippi river walleye or sauger and i myself will only keep 14 inch males and still dont care for the muddy fishy taste so i usually dont keep any well we just ate the last pack of what i caught ice fishing pan fish now the wife is not happy about me spending roughly 80 dollars a trip and not bringing her supper home is than any ideas on how to make the fish a little more likeable for her i usually soak in salt water for a day or milk any thing to try so my wife dont cut my trips back lol

huntfishhastings
    Hastings, MN

Its only about 20min for me so I have no business talking but take her with. If you can get her down there on the right day when the fish are biting like crazy she wont want to fish anywhere else. Heater(s) will make the trip more enjoyable for her, and in turn you. As far as the taste I soak mine in saltwater also but I only really keep fish until the water comes up. I dont think they taste like a canadian walleye but their definatly not chop liver. My neighbor soaks his in milk but I dont think it makes a diffrence.

Fishing Machine
    Lansing, Ia

I am one who doesn’t like a strong flavored fish. So I am very careful on how my fish are cleaned and taken care of. I make sure not to have any red on the flesh next to the skin, that will make the fish strong tasting, also when I am done filleting and skining I cut on each side of that blood line at the end of the tail then pull on each side and take that dark blood strip out. Soak in vinegar water for over nite. Do that with all fish except crappies, gills and perch. I do soak all of my fish in vinegar water. It also helps to firm the fish. I use about 1/8 cup of vinegar to 1/2 gal of water. Makes a world of difference in the way your fish will taste.

whittsend

I’ve had no problems with the taste of those fish, but how do you normally cook them?

Frying with a coating or batter would obviously mask the flavor of the filet due to the other ingredidents. A nice beer or tempura batter or half corn starch/half flour dip. Or just have your wife drink a 6 pack prior to dinner… She won’t notice the taste then…

Or the always popular ritz cracker crumb coating, fried in butter.

Make a nice cream, pesto, or parmesan sauce. A good garlic aioli sauce would be an awesome dip for breaded/fried walleye…

This is a killer sauce:

1-2 finely chopped jalepeno peppers (or more to taste)
    2-3 finely chopped cloves of garlic (or more to taste)
    1 Tbs EVOO or butter
    salt and pepper to taste, other spices if desired, but not necessary
    Sour cream
    Heavy cream
    Handful of shredded cheese
    filets (any fish will work)
    Rice

Pan fry or bake filets. While or prior to cooking fish, prepare sauce as below:

Add EVOO, jalepeno and garlic to a small saucepan and sautee for roughly 5 minutes, until cooked. Do not let burn.

Mix equal parts heavy cream and sour cream in a small bowl. Add cream mixture to oil/jalepeno/garlic mixture. Heat over medium heat, adding a handful of shredded cheese (shredded pizza or mexican blend works well, however you can experiment or use a favorite local cheese). Heat to melt cheese and to reduce sauce as needed. Sauce will thicken slightly when cooling.

Place fish on top of a bed of rice, and smother with jalepeno cream sauce.

Compliment with a side of asparagus (Or Genoa/proscuito wrapped and grilled asparagus!) and glass of wine.

Trust me, this jalapeno cream sauce is AWESOME. I tried to model it after the jalapeno cream sauce that they serve at Manny’s (Eau Claire and Onalaska – Excellent coastal Mexican seafood, BTW), and it turns out pretty similar…

Enjoy and good luck!

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Quote:

Soak ’em in milk.

Better yet Buttermilk Jesse…then shake em up in a bag with Shorelunch Cajun/fine yellow corn meal…deep fry at 350 until golden brown. YUMMY!

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Yes get that red/brown meat off of it and you’re good to go. Soak them bad boys over night in salt water. Even then you may have a strong taste if you fry them up the next day. I kinda like it that way, but if that’s even too much then just freeze them in water. After a couple weeks in the freezer the walleye taste is gone

hoistafish1
    Long Prairie,MN

MacDonald’s fillet of fish..on sale now 2/3.33

gusschoenfeld
    Winsted, MN

Do you “ZIP” your fillets and take the mud line out? I have eaten alot of fish fron the river this February and March and given to my inlaws as well and everyone loves them!

finman

cut the gills while the fish are in the livewell and let them bleed out- really helps with the fishy taste!

whittsend

Made the jalepeno cream sauce over lightly seared tuna steaks with rice last night…

MMM MMM Good!!!

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Quote:

Do you “ZIP” your fillets and take the mud line out? I have eaten alot of fish fron the river this February and March and given to my inlaws as well and everyone loves them!

How do you “zip” the fillets and where is the mud line?

I kept some 17 – 18 inch sauger last fall from the river and I didn’t like the taste either.

From now on I’m only keeping 13-14 inch saugers.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.