Salmon?

• francisco4
    Holmen, WI

What is yours very salmon recipe? I had a friend just get back from Alaska and he dropped off a filet, with skin on, of salmon. I don’t want to screw up such a quality and fresh product. So start sending me your best recipes. I hope to serve it for dinner tomorrow.

Thanks,

FDR

midnight
    Grand Rapids, MN

Don’t get too fancy with a fresh salmon filet, enjoy it. Heat up the grill on high put it on the grill skin side down, turn down the grill cook on low, the skin will stick to the grate and meat will just lift off with a large spatula. Season with any dry seasoning you like. Keep it simple and enjoy!!

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Quote:

Don’t get too fancy with a fresh salmon filet, enjoy it. Heat up the grill on high put it on the grill skin side down, turn down the grill cook on low, the skin will stick to the grate and meat will just lift off with a large spatula. Season with any dry seasoning you like. Keep it simple and enjoy!!

I agree. Here are some of the more agreeable seasonings:

Salt and pepper is a must
    Fresh parsley
    Brown sugar
    Chili powder
    Lemon juice
    Ginger (fresh)
    Soy sauce

Any combination of the above seasonings. Fewer is probably better. I personally like the chili powder.

zooks

If you’re going to leave the skin on, which you should, I’d highly advise you to remove the scales before you cook the fish. If you’ve never had salmon skin correctly cooked, you’re missing out – it’s like a fish cracker in the best way you can imagine.

Here’s another one I like to use a lot.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/broiled-salmon-with-abs-spice-pomade-recipe/index.html

I make that spice mix into a thick paste then slather it on heavy before it goes on the grill. I use a mortar and pestle to bring everything together but if you don’t have one, a clean coffee grinder works to grind the spices too. If you use a grill instead of a broiler, I start with skin side up to set the spice crust first then finish skin side down get it nice and crispy. Good luck and enjoy!

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Thank you for the advice! I now realize that I am over thinking the whole deal.

How about Halibut? Same deal. Keep It Simple Stupid?

FDR

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

With Fresh Salmon I do as little as possible. I put butter on it and some seasoning. Bake it. Eat it.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

This recipe from Alton Brown is for salmon steaks, but I have used it on fillets, too. Just adjust your cooking time accordingly. It’s tasty!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Quote:

With Fresh Salmon I do as little as possible. I put butter on it and some seasoning. Bake it. Eat it.

same here but I put it on the grill.

smoked is great salmon……….kinda hard to roll them though!

eelpout

2-3 parts mayo, 1 part yellow mustard, fresh chopped garlic to taste. spread mix over flesh side of fillet, grill skin side down till done. 10mins. per inch of thickness. only fresh garlic, not that bottled schlit. you will lick the plate, guaranteed! please post how this works for you if you try it. pout

Bob Schultz
    Wausau,Wi

We have been baking the halibut we have. It is delish! Salt. Pepper. Garlic powder. Dill if you like it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.