Fishing DEEP?

• eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

One of the lakes that I’ve fished for years has recently been opened up to allow motor trolling. This has caused me to search more open water than I ever have there before. In doing so, I have discovered that there are massive schools of ciscos and suckers which roam the open basins during summer. In addition, I believe that some of the largest fish in the system chase these schools and never really come up onto the structure, which we are so accustomed to pulling fish off of. I can catch plenty of fish up on the structure and some suspended off, but they’re not the monsters that I know live in this lake.

So, how would you approach trying to catch large predatory fish in an open basin environment, up to 50-60ft down? I’ve tried flatlining big cranks on braid up to 200ft back, but still only pull eater fish which seem to be feeding on YOY clouds more int that 20-40down range. Is running a magnum sized crank on a few colors of lead a bad idea? How bout riggers? Also, is fishing that deep ethical, in regards to barotrauma? I have had no issues what soever so far, but wonder what the limits are….. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is largely unexplored territory for me, and most other people IM guessing.

eyecatchum
    Milwaukee WI

I should have mentioned. These are musky, walleye and pike I’m targeting. There are no trout in this lake.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I doubt many fish caught deeper that 50 Ft. would survive being released. There is a method called Fizzing that some say will aid in the survival of deep caught fish. There are various online video’s on the procedure along with various tools to perform the technique. I know many who believe more harm than good is done by doing it.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.