Fishing big Catfish in minnesota

• greg taitt

Can any local members tell me of a couple specific places in and all around the metro area of Minnesota where I can go and catch nice size catfish?
    Specifically detailing fishing holes that are off the Mississippi River, the Minnesota River, or the Saint Croix river…
    Also, any recommendations and specific types of bait?
    I’m from Minnesota and I’ve fished all over the state but not so much I’m catfish.
    The times I’ve caught them have been off of the Minnesota River and Mississippi River both times using nightcrawlers, sucker minnows or chicken liver…
    But I’ve never had a chance to actually catch some nice size catfish here in Minnesota, so any advice specific information would be truly appreciated….
    Look forward to hearing from all my fellow brother who love to fish like I do.
    Again thanks….

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I won’t tell you my spots holes or specifics. But I fish the Croix south of taylors falls. And north or marine on st croix. We boat big flat heads and some really dandy channels along with many accidental sturgeon. Sunfish is my number 1 bait of choice for flats. Cut up suckers or sheep for channels. Also large bull heads. But they tend to get more walleye for us then cats. We go out early and catch sunfish. Then go to the cat spots. We typically can do very well. But like fishing, some days is no good. My biggest flat came off a rock bass that swallowed a nightcrawler and he wasn’t surviving the hook.
    I wouldn’t even bother with chicken liver. Whe. I was young I did, but cut bait is way better. And if you can figure out where the channel cats are then crank baits work great to. I fish downed trees and brush more so then holes. Most my big girls come from less then 8 ft of water

luckydave
    Cottage Grove, MN

Be sure you are fishing on the WI side of the river if you are using sunfish as gamefish are not legal bait in MN waters.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Be sure you are fishing on the WI side of the river if you are using sunfish as gamefish are not legal bait in MN waters.

Yup, I assumed this guy knows the rules

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.