Fish guts

• Joe033

I know lots of people (including myself) freeze their fish guts until trash day. If anyone lives in the South Metro near Hastings and has a bunch of clean fish guts in the freezer I would love to pick them up! Both my mom and grandmother have some eagles that fly around and love to stop by and eat fish guts that are left out for them. They live looking at them and I can’t keep up with providing guts

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’d pick up a fresh road kill deer and bring it to them. That would keep the eagles busy for awhile.

Joe033

I thought about that, the things are getting thrown in fields and I didn’t want to have to go pick up the remains of a carcass like bones and such come spring time…

AK Guy

Not to be d-bag but feeding an eagle is illegal.

Joe033

I totally spelled racoon wrong, I love those cute Lil fellas!!!🤭🦝🤗🦝🦝

Michael Best

Is picking up a roadkill deer illegal in Mn with out some kind of tag?

I know you need a tag to pick up a dead head in Iowa.

Joe033

You do need a tag, but any sheriff can write one up. It’s super easy if you come across one.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yea well then there alot of resorts in Minnesota that are illegally feeding the eagles. Including me at times.

Iowaboy1

I feed eagles year round, nothing worse than eating a scrawny eagle,too dang tough!!

Joe033

I feed eagles year round, nothing worse than eating a scrawny eagle,too dang tough!!

Low and slow on the smoker isn’t bad if you wrap them in bacon 🤤🤣🤣

Iowaboy1

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

Low and slow on the smoker isn’t bad if you wrap them in bacon 🤤🤣🤣

I forgot about that!! You’ve heard of turduckhen?
    Ya, well I have a killer recipe for eagowlospery!!

Joe033

Eagowlospery🤣🤣🤣🤣
    That’s gonna be stuck in my head for days!!!!🤣🤣🤣
    All I wanted to do was get a few birds for my mom and grandma to look at and I ended up with a whole new recipe to try! LMFAO🤣

Iowaboy1

Glad you got a laugh today joe!
    My Mom loved watching the birds of prey, we would catch carp all summer long and freeze them.
    About this time of year we would toss several of them out in the pasture close to her house where she could watch the eagles feed.

Once the word got out amongst them it wouldn’t take long to have over 40 eagles feeding for about 2 weeks before they moved further north.
    I gotta tell ya,it doesn’t take long for that many to scarf down 2-300 lbs of carp!!

We didn’t shoot any of the carp, wanted to be sure they didn’t croak from lead poisoning ya know!!

Iowaboy1

Oh, and if anyone asks how so many carp could end up in a pasture during winter time,we would tell them a tornado out west sucked them out of a lake down south and dropped them here when it blew over.

Joe033

That is awesome! My grandma has put piles outside of her window for years to watch the eagle come and eat all winter long.
    Just a couple months ago when dad was diagnosed I started putting a feeder full of cracked corn in their backyard so they would have something to look at since he couldn’t leave the house. He passed a couple weeks ago but mom loves looking out the window at the birds and I know there’s a few eagles around so I would love for her to be able to look out the window from time to time and see an eagle in the backyard! 🤗😊

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

sorry for your loss Joe.

Iowaboy1

Sorry to hear about pops joe!!
    My Mom,,, purebred kentucky stock loved hunting and fishing,one hell of a shot too!!
    She loved watching birds in her last years,how do I say,,if feeding eagles is illegal, I would of went to jail a hundred times to see the smile on her face!

Joe033

My Mom,,, purebred kentucky stock loved hunting and fishing,one hell of a shot too!!
    She loved watching birds in her last years,how do I say,,if feeding eagles is illegal, I would of went to jail a hundred times to see the smile on her face!

Absolutely!!!!! Plus I think it’s kind of fun to go out there and fill her feeders and see what’s around and it gives me a good reason to go visit everyday!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>iowaboy1 wrote:</div>

Absolutely!!!!! Plus I think it’s kind of fun to go out there and fill her feeders and see what’s around and it gives me a good reason to go visit everyday!

Great reason to visit. Sorry for your loss.
    I wish I was closer so I could help you out.

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>phishingruven wrote:</div>
    sorry for your loss Joe.

Thank you, cancer blows

that’s putting it a lot more mildly than i do. I too lost my dad to cancer. I saw my first eagle with him in the upper peninsula. Every time i see an eagle soaring, I think of that memory.

AK Guy

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>AK Guy wrote:</div>

Yea well then there alot of resorts in Minnesota that are illegally feeding the eagles. Including me at times.

I didn’t write the law. I’m just telling you what is.

buck-slayer

The drive to Mayo takes us over the Red Wing bridge and we see the trees loaded with eagles. Love to see that many in one place. And you are right cancer sucks.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Sorry for you loss Joe. Did you think to try calling a fish market or go around and pick up guts from local fishing resorts? You can also get on the call list for reported road kill deer, they call you and you go grab it.

Joe033

Sorry for you loss Joe. Did you think to try calling a fish market or go around and pick up guts from local fishing resorts? You can also get on the call list for reported road kill deer, they call you and you go grab it.

What a great idea! It never even crossed my mind to call local markets for scraps. I’ll make a few calls this morning!

AK Guy

What do you think. Would you consider this illegally feeding eagles?

Attachments:
    1. 801AF939-396A-4298-803D-153F1B3556F4.jpeg

Joe033

Looks fine to me as long as he has a fishing license, I bet that would be a fun fight!🎣

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

How is feeding fish guts to an Eagle any different than feeding seeds to a Chickadee ? I think the prohibition had more to do with people dumping the guts. Seems the me the rule book said something about “properly disposed of”. Personally I can’t think of a better way to dispose of fish guts than donating them to the local Eagle population.

SR

Coletrain27

using them fancy hook setters you have there should be illegal instead of feeding a bird

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Looks to me like he’s claiming the next jaw jacker that goes off….

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.