Fish frying question

• Coletrain27

So tonight frying fish the oil gets so foamy and almost runs over the pot. I’m using a cast iron Dutch oven pot, canola oil filled less than half way, temp at 350 according to the oil thermometer, shore lunch breading. Why does it get so dang foamy? Normally I do this out in the garage so it doesn’t stink up the house in a electric fry pan and it doesn’t seem to get foamy but I did it inside tonight on the stove. Anyone else have this problem or am I just a moron?

B-man

That’s just the nature of Shore Lunch fish breading, and it’s far worse if you are dipping the fish in eggs.

If you are using eggs, try skipping it next time and use milk or water.

I myself love using Shore Lunches Fried Chicken mix on fish. It’s absolutely awesome, especially with some hot sauce on the fish before breading them or after they’re cooked.

Coletrain27

I did dip them in eggs. The weird thing is that I made 2 bags of shrimp the exact same way and it didn’t foam at all. I’ve never tried the chicken mix on fish. I’ll have to give that a try

Coletrain27

I suppose the shrimp didn’t have as much surface area and egg on them is why they didn’t foam as much then. I normally just toss the fish in breading and don’t even mess with eggs. From now on I’ll skip the eggs. Thanks guys waytogo

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

Can confirm that it is the eggs causing foam.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

funny i saw a post on this and out of 100 plus responses, it was all over the board with everyone blaming it on oil, milk, eggs, pans….yadayadayada. had it happen this year to me too. glad to see some consensus here. def passing on the eggs from now on

KP
    Hudson, WI

Funny I had this happen to me this week when frying up some fish. Glad to know to skip the eggs with Shore Lunch.

Deuces

I don’t use much shorelunch, but once I switched over to peanut oil I’ve found alot less of the foam in general.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

So that begs the question. What is the best way to apply shore lunch? I did a few fillets the other night and here’s what I did: thawed, pat dry, salt and pepper, light flour, egg, shore lunch, then oil. turned out great just like always (did notice some foam).

should it just be filet into milk and then shorelunch?

B-man, you’re right about the chicken fry, really good!

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

For Shorelunch breading, I use 1 egg, half can of beer for small batches. 2 eggs, full can of beer for large batches. (Half box/full box)

-J.

B-man

Luttes everyone has their favorite way, don’t change it if your guests plates are bare waytogo

Here’s my method, it’s really easy but has a few very important parts to it.

Starting off with the fillets themselves, I never cook them whole unless they are smaller panfish.

On bigger panfish I “unzip” them into two halves. For walleyes, I “unzip” them and cut into fingers. The bigger the fish, the more fingers I cut.

In the summer (especially) I soak all of the meat in milk, a half hour minimum, up to overnight. It helps to get rid of any fishy/weedy/muddy/summer taste. It’s not completely necessary, but it does make a difference.

Next, if you like things a little spicier, soak the meat in some hot sauce prior to breading. Smaller/thinner fish don’t need much, thicker/bigger pieces can take a lot more. Give it a few minutes minimum, and up to 10 minutes or so. If you go longer, the color of the sauce gets into the fillets and it looks funny eating orange meat lol

Now onto the breading. I cook fish with all sorts of different things, but as mentioned my favorite is Fried Chicken mix. Shorelunch makes a good one, but literally any brand works just as well.

I leave the fingers wet, whether it’s from water, milk or hot sauce. You want some moisture to get dry breading to stick. It’s the complete opposite if you are using a wet batter, then you want to pat the fillets somewhat dry.

The next step makes a HUGE difference when using dry batter.

After you roll/shake/pat/Batter Pro or whatever in dry mix, LET THEM SIT before dropping them into oil.

You want most/all of the dry batter to start looking “wet”. This makes for a far better finished product, because the breading will stay on the fish and not fall off into the oil. Their texture will be more like a chicken finger from a restaurant.

Next, fry the fish in 350-375 like normal. Cook the fish longer than it “needs to” without getting it too dark. If using a wet beer batter, err on the lower side (350), or they brown too fast.

A lot of people complain about fried fish being oily, when in reality it’s just too much moisture. Soggy fish is bad fish. Don’t be afraid to cook the hell out the meat, especially with thicker pieces.

Once you see the amount of steam escaping from the meat slow way down, you’ll know they’re done. The pieces will all be floating too.

Don’t be afraid to experiment, cook a round like normal, then intentionally overcook a round. See what texture you and your guests prefer.

Next is a trick I learned years ago and makes a big difference too. Instead of placing the cooked fish on paper towels, invest in a handful of cooling racks (like for baking cookies). This allows any drips of oil to fall down, instead of the meat sitting on a soaked paper towel. I also use the cooling racks when I’m letting the dry mix turn wet-looking prior to frying. It’s far less surface area for the breading to stick to.

I’ve cooked a ton of fish in my life, and wish I knew 25 years ago what I know now toast

Along with using cooling racks, I highly recommend a Batter Pro for applying dry mix. It’s so much easier, cleaner, and faster than other methods. Both are money well spent.

JEREMY
    BP

My biggest problem with cooking fish lately is my inability to catch any.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I stopped using eggs at all a few years ago. In addition to less foaming the oil seems to break down far less and much slower. Using egg wash will cause the pil to turn dark much faster and leave way more gunk at the bottom of the fryer or pan.

tornadochaser

Instead of egg I use a light beer batter. Dip, drip, then dip in panko mixed with any variety of breading mix and seasoning. Works best on walleye and perch pieces. Gills cook faster and i tend to just beer batter those.

mojo

I can share some tips.

With all fish to be fried, pat the fish dry with paper towels, and then dredge the fillets with flour or any finely powdered seasoning, but salt or corn meal or similar size granules will not stick, just a light dusting on the dry fillet and shake off – this is not your breading, just helps your breading stay crispy and light, not soft or soggy.
    Then dip it in liquid of your choice (both eggs and milk can cause foaming in oil), and then coat with your breading of choice.
    If you like a hint of sweet in your breading, substitute some instant pancake mix in your breading.
    If you like beer batter, dredge your fillets, then mix a batch of breading that is finely powdered, and add your beer of choice until it’s soupy enough to leave just a thin layer coating the fillets, you don’t want it so thick that chunks of batter break off the fish while frying in the oil. I place them on a large cookie sheet so that excess runs off before I drop them in the oil.
    If you have a group that likes lemon on their fish, try a Lemon Breaker Beer from Hop & Barrel (Brewery in Hudson, WI) or Leinenkugels Summer Shandy for your beer batter – my family’s favorite batter, just a tiny hint of beer flavor, but the lemon flavor is fantastic. Lemon Breaker has more lemon flavor, Summer Shandy has just a bit of lemon. Both are under 4% alcohol.
    For your oil, get it HOT, use an accurate oil thermometer if you are deep frying, get the oil to nearly 400F before dropping in your fish. The temp will drop substantially once fish are added so turn the heat up immediately before you add the fish. Try to keep the temp close to 375F while frying (allow oil to get back up to temp between adding additional batches of fish). Peanut oil is best for flavor and for durability, I use it for turkeys, fish, chicken, french fries and making my own crispy tortillas, and it can go up to, and above 400F for short periods with no problem. Vegetable oil is cheaper, but the flavor is not as good in my opinion, and you should never exceed 400F with it, because it will start to smoke and take on a burnt flavor. Oil can be reused many times as long as you filter it once it’s cooled. Keep fish oil separate from oil used to cook anything else.
    Fry the fillets in small batches, so they do not cling to one another in the oil, and depending on the thickness of your fillets (try to keep fish chunks to the same size in each batch), turn them over once they start to float in the oil so they cook evenly. Those long-handled, stainless steel scoops with the mesh or perforated scoop are invaluable when deep frying.
    If you have to fry multiple batches (I usually do 80-100 pieces for the family fish fry), it is important to keep the fried fish from getting soggy while waiting for additional batches to cook. Set the cooked fish on a cookie sheet lined with paper towels right out of the oil, then after 30-60 seconds, transfer them onto a cooling rack like would be used for cookies. Set the oven to “warm” and place the cooling rack full of cooked fish on the racks in the oven to keep hot and crispy until all batches are done. They will lose crispiness if you just leave them on paper towels or any solid surface for more than a few minutes, but thinner fillets may start to get chewy if kept in the oven too long. Try to fry them last.

mojo

Thanks for the tip on the Batter Pro B-Man!

I had no idea that existed, just ordered a large one from Amazon.

I can recommend the Hiware 2-pack of stainless steel cooling racks from Amazon as well – exceptional value, though when I bought some last year they were less.

Mr Big Eves
    Prior Lake, MN

Cooling rack seems like a great concept. I just use paper towels, but do not stack the fish. Otherwise the oil will just drip onto the fish below it and they get soggy. My go to breading is whatever is in the cupboard. Ritz, club, pretzels, Doritos anything I can smash into fine crumbs. It keeps things interesting for the family.

Nodakk

Highly recommend Andy’s Fish Batter. The Red’s is a spicier blend that has just the right amount of seasoning to it. Not sure what’s in the batter but it seems to bind really well to the fish and leaves a good crunchy crust without having to use milk, eggs, or anything else.

toddrun

I’ve tried just about every over-the-counter fish batter on the planet, and I am beginning to think I am the only person that like that taste of the fish. Everything I try takes away from the fish flavor. Kind of like A1 on a steak, why would you want to loose the flavor of a good steak.

I tried “Louisiana Fish Fry” this past weekend up on LOTW, and it was nice and crispy, had decent flavor, but I could not taste the awesome fish.

Good old crushed up saltines for me I guess, best I have found.

By the way, I tried frying the fish without batter, and that is not a good idea either…..

404 ERROR
    MN

You haven’t had crispy fish until you stick fresh, moist bread in a food processor until well blended and roll the fish in that. The moisture in the bread makes the crispiest crust I have ever had.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I’ve tried just about every over-the-counter fish batter on the planet, and I am beginning to think I am the only person that like that taste of the fish. Everything I try takes away from the fish flavor. Kind of like A1 on a steak, why would you want to loose the flavor of a good steak.

I tried “Louisiana Fish Fry” this past weekend up on LOTW, and it was nice and crispy, had decent flavor, but I could not taste the awesome fish.

By the way, I tried frying the fish without batter, and that is not a good idea either…..

no you are not alone. i almost exclusively make my fish without breading. couple times a year i use some type of breading but it is such an dam mess! 95% of the time it goes in a pan with just a coating of oil or butter. i throw some lemon pepper or anything else that i have laying around. maybe some panko for texture. less mess and still tastes great

B-man

We eat fish all sorts of different ways with few ingredients and no breading (grilling, boiling, sauteing, etc) Some salt and pepper to taste is all that is needed.

But when it comes to deep frying them, I like to have at least some sort of seasoning, or it just tastes like oil with some fish mixed in.

One of my most basic and favorites is seasoning with Lawryer’s or Johnny’s and rolling in flour.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I use saltines also but before they hit the saltines:
    1) the fillets are patted dry,
    2) coated with flour that has been seasoned with Season-All,
    3) dipped in egg
    4) then coated with crushed saltines

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

So tonight frying fish the oil gets so foamy and almost runs over the pot. I’m using a cast iron Dutch oven pot, canola oil filled less than half way, temp at 350 according to the oil thermometer, shore lunch breading. Why does it get so dang foamy?

BMan’s post is exactly right. Straight from the directions (which nobody ever reads) on the Shore Lunch package.

Dip. Bread the fish, LET DRY. That’s the key.

BTW, the greatest fish breading ever is hot-n-spicy Doritos that have been crushed with a rolling pin. Discuss.

duh queen

So tonight frying fish the oil gets so foamy and almost runs over the pot. I’m using a cast iron Dutch oven pot, canola oil filled less than half way, temp at 350 according to the oil thermometer, shore lunch breading. Why does it get so dang foamy? Normally I do this out in the garage so it doesn’t stink up the house in a electric fry pan and it doesn’t seem to get foamy but I did it inside tonight on the stove. Anyone else have this problem or am I just a moron?

There’s a good chance that baking powder or another fine powder is in the mix. I use an egg wash on the outside of a seasoned starch mix, then coat it with cracker crumbs. No frothing there…..unless I added a fine powder to the cracker crumbs. I’ve found tat the trick is to avoid any fine powders or flour in the outer layer. The same will happen if you use flour on trout.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I used Sriracha panko last night instead of Cajun shore lunch. I dipped in egg wash. 0 foam none.

B-man

I used Sriracha panko last night instead of Cajun shore lunch. I dipped in egg wash. 0 foam none.

There’s something about dipping in eggs AND using Shorelunch together that makes a lot of foam, especially if you throw the fillets into the oil when they’re still powdery.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

There’s something about dipping in eggs AND using Shorelunch together that makes a lot of foam, especially if you throw the fillets into the oil when they’re still powdery.

I typically do hot sauce instead of eggs but my mom was over and I did egg so I didn’t kill her with spicy. First time ever using panko and it wasn’t bad at all

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.