First time out )

• gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Hello all,

I have spent the past few months rigging my boat and adding some new things so I can give lake trout/salmon a go. I put downriggers and rod holders in for trolling and am going to be headed up on saturday morning out of Superior. Does anyone have any advice or pointers for me to get started. I am hoping to catch something but being that it is my first time I will be just learning how to use the equiptment so anything that is caught will be a bonus.

I will probably be running boards and then getting the whole downrigger process figured out. If anyone has any advice depths, information, colors it would be greatly appreciated and I would love to return the favor or possible give you some knowledge in the future.

Thank you,

Benn
    507-226-6341

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

Stop in or call marine general in duluth they always help me out. I’ve only gone a couple times so I don’t have much for ya except early in the year there suspended up high plan on using boards and no down riggers for first couple months. Let me know how you do.

Dave Ansell
    Rushford, MN

Good luck Benn.

I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing but have not made the time to get the rigging done or set any dates on the schedule. Let us know how you do up there. I would love to head over the Lake Michigan again soon too.

Dave

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

Are you fishing the Mn side or the Wi side?

M. Leslie
    Twin Cities

I second calling or swinging by Marine General when you’re up in Duluth. They are always very helpful and happy to get you started in the right direction. Also, if you haven’t already, download and read the short fishing manual put out by the Western Lake Superior Trollers Assn. (WLSTA). Several of their members have put together a nice .pdf with helpful tips, methods, areas for early spring/summer fishing in and around Duluth/Superior.

Can’t get the direct link to work, but can find it by following the “Fishing” link at http://www.wlsta.org

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Thank you everyone. I am between the decisions of landing out of Loons Foot and McQuade. I have heard really good things on McQuade and I know that Loons Foot is a lot closer of a drive as well. I got the boat all loaded last night and the weather still looks like it will be good for Saturday morning.

I will definatley be getting ahold of Marine General as well.

Attachments:
    1. bigjons.jpg

FlyRodAddiction
    Minnesota

Benn,

I’m heading out Saturday morning as well, was also contimplating Mcquade’s but with the wind direction decided to launch at Rice point. PM me if you want to meet up for some pointers. Haven’t fished this early in the year before up there but we have similar gear so I can get you pointed in the right diection and you can troll back from me to see how to work mud edges and temp seams. Plus working together gets patterns figured out quicker.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Thank you to everyone for the advice and help! We wound up fishing out of Superior (Loons Foot) and it took about 2-3 hours before we got a system together and then Wound up loosing 2 and boating the 2nd two. It was definitly more then I had expected for our 1st time out. The weather could also not have been any better!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_0904.jpg

2. almon.jpg

3. FullSizeRender.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.