First Time fishing trip, Advice

• djshannon
    Crosslake

I am heading for a new to adventure.

I am traveling with a friend to Temple Bay Lodge on Eagle Lake in the middle of August.
    We have booked a guide while we are there…

I have a MN “EDL”, an Onterio Sport Fishing License for the week…

One of us will be driving, do we need any Special Insrance Endorsment, vehicle paperwork, etc…?

How about Canadian Dollars…. How much is enough?

Any and all advice would be appreciated…

Cam White

Make sure everyone in your group can cross, I see groups turned back because one guy forgot he had a dui… I’d use your credit card, grab a couple hundred in cdn from your bank, the rates will be better. Get 20’s, smaller stores may not be able to break large bills. If any minors, make sure you have permission slips signed by both parents with contact numbers.

CaptainMusky

I would avoid getting CAD if at all possible. Use your credit card and it converts to USD for a very small fee. Try and get bait arranged ahead of time. Depending how you get to Eagle Lake, if you go through Sioux Narrows there is a bait shop that you can order bait and have it ready in advance. You cannot even bring crawlers anymore. Swenson’s Bait is the name its on the right side of the road right on the water’s edge of LOW.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

One of us will be driving, do we need any Special Insrance Endorsment, vehicle paperwork, etc…?

You should be able to call your agent and request a Canadian Insurance Card. Coverage or required endorsement may vary by company so have them review that as well.

CaptainMusky

If any minors, make sure you have permission slips signed by both parents with contact numbers.

Great point and if they are 17 they need a passport too. My son turned 17 and a note this year wouldnt have gotten him in. He needed a passport.

picklerick
    Central WI

I’ve been to Temple Bay a couple dozen times since 2002. If you have a guide you’ll be in good hands. My father in law and two friends were there last week and caught something like 1100 walleye in 5-6 days. It’s on TBL’s Facebook page. They fished with Miah, as usual, and I’m sure they went down to the east end (Nivens) like they always do. I never go that far since I started bringing my boat in 2007.

If the wind is blowing into the west side of the closest island to the docks, the evening bite can be decent there. Same thing by the new house on the point right in Temple Bay. Water is really low this year so be careful when you go out on your own.

We tell our State Farm agent when we’re going and they send us something. I’ve never needed Canadian money while we were there. Once you get past the Great Bear store in Fort Frances there are no stores or gas stations until you get to the lodge. We always took 502.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

You should be able to call your agent and request a Canadian Insurance Card. Coverage or required endorsement may vary by company so have them review that as well.

Is this a new thing? I never checked with my insurance before going up there. Is there a chance I was not covered when I was up there, and is this for just the boat or everything?

To the OP I am jealous, have a great trip!!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Is this a new thing? I never checked with my insurance before going up there. Is there a chance I was not covered when I was up there, and is this for just the boat or everything?

It’s not new, but I don’t think it’s mandatory either (I’ve never been to Canada personally). I work for State Farm and we do them somewhat frequently. With SF your coverage extends automatically in Canada for your auto, but some people want to make sure they have the appropriate documentation beforehand. I can’t speak for other companies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.