Finding a Woman's Shotgun

• dirk-w.
    Minnesota

My daughter needs a shotgun. Primarily for Roosters. Rarely/occasionally for ducks/geese. She’s about 5-4 and even my old 20g Mossburg 500’s stock was a bit long with winter clothes on. I don’t really want to cut it down. I’d like to have her shoot a 12g but, for example, the kick on my old Berreta 390 with a Limbsaver, albeit with 1 3/8 high velocity Fiochii’s -was a bit much for her. The kick with 20g Fiochii’s 1 1/4’s high velocities was fine.

So, I’ve never been in the women’s market before. Lots of fun things to think about. Basically my questions are – What shops in the metro area would take the time and effort to be able to help me find her a good fitting gun? Ahlman’s (please don’t say Cabelas, that’s a joke)? Anyone have any suggestions on individual guns to get me started? Are there any newer 12g auto loaders with technology that would make the kick tolerable with magnum pheasant loads? No pumps. Auto loader is first choice but an over/under would be fine. Used is fine. Price is whatever it takes but the cheaper the better. It would need to shoot 3 inch shells if a 20g. We hunt public land and longer shots are common.

I realize this is a big question that could digress quickly, but basically it comes down to finding a good fitting woman’s 12g or 20g auto or O/U, with tolerable recoil when shooting hot loads. Thanks.

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

I would highly reccommend a Franchi Affinity youth shotgun. I bought one for my son when he was 8. He has been shooting it until 13 as it comes with adjustable plates to customize the fit. You can also buy a full size stock later if needed. Many options with this shotgun. I plan on having my 10 year old daughter start shooting it as well. The gun shoots very well and recoil is low. My son has taken many ducks and pheasants with this gun.

Ben

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Stick with an autoloader. An O/U that is light enough for her to carry comfortably will also kick like a mule.

Your experience with the Beretta 390 is not really a good indicator of what will work well for her over the long haul because of the magnum loads you used. The gas-operated auto system of the Beretta is the softest shoot auto available because the gas driven recoil redirects gasses that would otherwise cause a greater kick. Obviously there are limits, if you stuff 3.5 inch goose loads in the hopper, no amount of recoil reduction is going to make that shotgun kick as it would with a trap load.

Let’s address the gauge first. You say longer shots are common. Well, that may be true for you, but let’s think about her for a minute. A fundamental skill that every wingshoooter needs to learn is how to shoot within one’s effective range. If you’re shooting outside of your effective range, it’s skybusting, not shooting. It doesn’t matter what load you stuff in the pipe, magnum loads are NOT a substitute for skill and judgement.

Also, you WANT her to succeed, right? Letting a young shooter blaze away at 45+ yard roosters is NOT a recipe for success. She’s going to miss and the implication (to her) is that if she shoots and misses, it’s her fault for not hitting. It’s much easier for kids to accept that a bird was out of range and no shot was available than it is for them to put up with constant long range misses that they think they should have hit.

So IMO, the way forward with a young, recoil-sensitive shooter is a 20 gauge with a 3 inc chamber. Start and build confidence with light 2.75 inch loads. Use heavier 2.75 and eventually possibly even 3 inch loads with her experience and sensitivity to recoil both allow it.

I have shot a 20 gauge on pheasant my entire life. My father shot a 20 gauge auto since he was 8 and he has never in his life even owned a 12 gauge.

A lot of guys have a totally mistaken belief that the 20 is not enough gun for pheasants. Bull cookies. Let me be blunt. If you can’t stone a rooster with a 2.75 load of 20 gauge 6 shot out to 35 yards, the problem ain’t the gun. A 12 isn’t going to shoot them any deader.

Yes, the 12 is better in some conditions, wind, etc, but all of these are overweighed by the fact that to a young shooter, recoil matters. No young shooter is going to enjoy shooting and hunting if their shoulder is getting turned into hamburger, no matter how many birds or targets they hit.

Bottom line is get her a 20 so she ENJOYS shooting. Let us all hope that she loves it so much that in 3 years she’s begging you for a high-end 12 to add to her collection.

Here’s what I’d suggest you look at:

– Beretta A400 or A300. I believe there is a short LOP version available. Gas operated will maximize recoil reduction.

Now we venture into the recoil-activated autos… None of these will reduce recoil like the Beretta, but they are still better choices than an o/u and with light target loads the difference is minimal.

– Franchi Affinity Youth as mentioned.

– Stoeger 3020 compact. You can replace the stock with a 14 LOP later if needed.

– Nothing wrong with a Benelli if cost is not the primary concern. Benelli, to their credit, makes a “compact” in the SBE and Montifeltro line that has a 13.x LOP which, unless your daughter is likely to be very tall, would be nearly ideal.

Grouse

dirk-w.
    Minnesota

Thanks for the info guys. I failed to mention that my daughter is 22 years old with a fairly muscular build, which is why I’m even considering a 12g. But, having a pleasant shooting gun is a must. Really this could be a gun that she’d have for a long time. She’s the one in my profile picture but all grow’d up now.

snelson223
    Austin MN

Some Benelli’s have the comfort tech stock so you can change out the the length of pull and add a higher comb if needed. Neither are cheap. I think the M2 would be your cheapest option.

404 ERROR
    MN

CZ 712 ALS. Ugly, but works flawlessly, smoothly and can grow with the user. It will recoil softer than ANY pump 20ga.

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

Stick with a 20 ga as mentioned above. Like I said, my son has killed countless ducks and pheasants with his Franchi Affinity.
    You dont need a 12 ga. That is a matter of preference. A 20 ga 3 inch load will be perfect.

Ben

Sharon
    SE Metro

I have a 12g Browning BPS that was too long for me, so we brought it to Alhmans and they took some measurements and chopped off just a bit of the stock. They are a handy and helpful shop. They did a great job and my 12g fits much better now. I’m 5′ 4″ and on the muscular side as well. Though my arms are a bit on the short side.

I also have a Mossberg 500 youth model 20g that I got when I was in my early 20s and that fits me very well. And it’s a bit lighter of a gun to carry around the field as we are hunting too, but for some reason I just love my Browning 12g.

So in short, I love shooting both my shortened 12g and my youth model 20g but I did spend several years getting into hunting with my 20g (and my mom’s beautiful single shot 28g) before I received my 12g as a surprise anniversary gift.

JMP1890

I just helped my son buy a shotgun for his wife about 6 months aga. Finding a gun to properly fit women is a tough adventure. The biggest hurdle I found was that is seems that the standard comb drop is to large for women and it tends to have them “lean” their head slightly over the comb when shooting. When that happens the recoil is felt in the cheek of the shooter and that does not feel good. In my opinion, this is what happens when people say the gun kicks to much. They have an improper fitting gun and get recoil to the face. The second issue was the distance from the palm swell to the trigger. My daughter in law is 5′-4″ and she can not reach the trigger comfortably on a standard model or even most youth models.

She ended up with a Franchi Affinity Catalyst in 20ga. The Catalyst series is tailored for women with a higher combo, shortened trigger reach, and I was happy to see that the palm swell was very small. Gun is light weight, simple to operate, and I thought it was a well thought out design. I could not find that gun within 100 miles of the twin cities this spring so if you would like to see how it fits your daughter, let me know and I would be happy to arrange a meeting.

tswoboda

I went through this process trying to find a shotgun for my wife when she was 24. She is similar height to your daughter, 5’6″ but longer than average legs and not a lot of upper body strength. She eventually went with the aforementioned Franchi Affinity 20 ga Compact and we’ve both been happy with that purchase.

Biggest advice is to get as many shotguns in her hands as possible, even better if she can actually shoot them.

Second bit of advice is to figure out her dominant eye if you haven’t done that already. Women have a higher occurrence of cross eye dominance or no dominant eye.

The biggest compromise with smaller shooters is weight vs recoil. The 2 are inversely proportional so she needs to figure out which is more important or meet somewhere in the middle. A lightweight 20 gauge can produce more felt recoil than a heavy heavy 12 gauge.

For my wife the weight of the shotgun was much more important than the recoil. She could shoot clays with a 12 gauge all day and not have a sore shoulder but her arms would get tired after a few minutes. She felt way more comfortable and confident shouldering and swinging with a lighter gun.

I think the Franchi Affinity 20 ga Compact is one of the lightest shotguns on the market… it was at the time we bought anyway. The adjustable length of pull is great for getting a good fit and makes it fit well for multiple different shooters. I killed a pile of big mallards and honkers last November with her gun.

Don’t expect the featherweight Franchi, or any lightweight shotgun for that matter, to be a soft shooter just because it’s a 20 ga. The thing is a shoulder stabber due to the light weight and the garbage “recoil pad”.

Other shotguns that were in the finals…
    Benelli Montefeltro: This would have been my choice but she didn’t like the flat rib and preferred camo over walnut (the camo thing surprised the hell outta me)
    Benelli M2: Too much coin for being so similar to the Affinity. My go to shotgun is an M2 12 ga but her 20 gauge is used much less so harder to justify the cost.
    Beretta A400: Same points about the flat rib and high cost. More importantly, it turns out that gas autoloaders are wayyyy harder to pull the bolt back on than inertia autoloaders. She struggled to get the bolt back comfortably on pretty much every gas shotgun she handled so she was pretty much limited to Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My wife is a shade over 5″ and shoots a 12g Remington 1100. I found a shortened stock on eBay. No, it’s not perfect, but she shoots as well with it as I shoot, and it was a hand-me-down, so I have about $25 into the gun. waytogo

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

My wife is a shade over 5″ and shoots a 12g Remington 1100. I found a shortened stock on eBay. No, it’s not perfect, but she shoots as well with it as I shoot, and it was a hand-me-down, so I have about $25 into the gun. waytogo

Your wife is 5 inches tall? I’d pay to watch her shoot a 12 ga.

S.R.

TimberCrappie
    Eden Prairie, MN

She ended up with a Franchi Affinity Catalyst in 20ga. The Catalyst series is tailored for women with a higher combo, shortened trigger reach, and I was happy to see that the palm swell was very small. Gun is light weight, simple to operate, and I thought it was a well thought out design. I could not find that gun within 100 miles of the twin cities this spring so if you would like to see how it fits your daughter, let me know and I would be happy to arrange a meeting.

My FW is the one who owns this gun. It also comes in 12 ga if you believe that a 20 is a disadvantage. I looked at guns for about 2 years before finally purchasing this gun. It shoots like a dream for her. Light with minimal recoil.

Cabin Fever in Victoria is the place we went through to find the gun as it was not in the midwest area at the time.

Note: the Franchi Affinity Catalyst is not the name as the compact. Two completely different guns

Reef W

I know this isn’t what dirk-w is looking for but, for anybody else browsing, I’ll add that a 20ga Benelli Nova Compact works well for my GF. She’s 5’4″ I think and could barely hold a full size 12ga up. No issues with recoil even though it’s a pump.

tegg
    Hudson, Wi/Aitkin Co

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Steve Root wrote:</div>
    Your wife is 5 inches tall?

Ha! Whoops. 5′. Either way, she is SHORT!

Would have been perfect for the 1984 Spinal Tap world tour.

Attachments:
    1. Spinal-Tap-Stonehenge.jpg

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.