Fall Bite Patterns

• Sean Solberg
    St. Paul

While the extended family has had a place on Leech for a few years, this is the first year that I’m planning to fish into the fall. I’ve heard that Leech can really have great fishing as the weather turns cold again, but I’m wondering if anybody has some pointers on general fall patterns?

Do the ‘eyes go back to a jig and minnow bite primarily? Jiggin’ raps? Or are spinners/trolling still the primary tactic?
    Any other info I should know?

I know I’m for sure going up around Sept 16 and also the last weekend in October. Hoping to make it up a few other times as well, schedule permitting.

Jonesy

While the extended family has had a place on Leech for a few years, this is the first year that I’m planning to fish into the fall. I’ve heard that Leech can really have great fishing as the weather turns cold again, but I’m wondering if anybody has some pointers on general fall patterns?

Do the ‘eyes go back to a jig and minnow bite primarily? Jiggin’ raps? Or are spinners/trolling still the primary tactic?
    Any other info I should know?

I know I’m for sure going up around Sept 16 and also the last weekend in October. Hoping to make it up a few other times as well, schedule permitting.

Much of it will depend on water temps. I have fished leech in the fall for 13 years. I’m no expert so keep that in mind.

When the water starts to dip into the 50’s or even low 60’s you will see most people out jigging wind blown points and various flats, reefs, etc. There are still fish to be had pulling spinners or trolling cranks. I troll cranks at night and have had very good luck.

Jiggin raps and other glide baits will also produce. Don’t be afraid to also look for submerged weedlines that are still green as they can be holding a good number of fish.

I will be up there the last week of september and the first week of october. Hoping to squeeze a late October trip in also.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Went through 3 tanks on my kicker trolling from 3′ rocks to 33′ basins, nada. Mostly spinners, some cranks. Brutal catching.

Had one 24″ planer board slow death in 4-6′ weeds. Couple shorts on very wind blown rocks. Got back Sunday, hope the water treats ya better. Boy bay with spinners had others getting northerns and some perch. The regular seasonals at the resort were getting nada as well.

Marked nothing but baitfish almost everywhere. Very few big marks on screen, other than some muskies on the rocky flats, should really start chasing those things.

Jonesy

Went through 3 tanks on my kicker trolling from 3′ rocks to 33′ basins, nada. Mostly spinners, some cranks. Brutal catching.

Had one 24″ planer board slow death in 4-6′ weeds. Couple shorts on very wind blown rocks. Got back Sunday, hope the water treats ya better. Boy bay with spinners had others getting northerns and some perch. The regular seasonals at the resort were getting nada as well.

Marked nothing but baitfish almost everywhere. Very few big marks on screen, other than some muskies on the rocky flats, should really start chasing those things.

By mid to late September and into October it should get easier to predict where the fish are.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.