Buying Dad a new walleye rod

• BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Hello everyone, my Dad will be retiring in June and I thought it would be great to get him a nice quality walleye rod. We’ve always fished with low to mid grade rods, so I don’t have any experience with the high end stuff. I was thinking about having Thorne Brothers make a custom walleye rod for him or getting a G. Loomis. Anyone have any input or experience with the Thorne Brothers custom walleye rods? I thought it was kind of cool that I could pick a color and have his name put on the rod. I think Dad would really like that, but I want to make sure its also of very high quality and that Dad will “feel” the difference from his old rods. We do a lot of lindy rigging, along with some jigging and slip bobber fishing. I appreciate any advice or input you guys can give.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I would suggest a Custom rod from Thorne!! The only thing I will say is there very expensive. Talk to Lonnie there and he will take care of you if you go that route!! Loomis’ are nice don’t forget to look at the St. Croix Ledgend walleye series either.

tom_gursky
    Michigan's Upper Peninsula(Iron Mountain)

Here would be my choices from your preferences…

Loomis Walleye specific…

WRR8501S GLX 7’1″ 173 1 8-14 3/8-5/8 Fast Med-Light $395.00

St.Croix Legend Extreme

XS70MLF 7′ ML Fast 1 4 – 10 1/8 – 3/8 3.0 1

$370.00 ( your dads name will be added for only $5)

Your Thorne Bros custom rod most likely will be a St. Croix blank also…I don’t know what they will charge…Both rods above will be awesome rods for your dad.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

One nice thing about a custom rod is being able to ad that personal touch to it. Had a bunch made for my guide business last year and had them all signed “Muddy Waters”. Thorne Brothers should do a good job of being able to match the rod to how you fish.

Not sure if you will find a good rod to match both rigging, corking and jigging. Jigging rods tend to be shorter while the other 2 applications tend to favor longer rods.

RStawski
    Lindstrom, MN

Take a look at a custom rod from Thorne Bros… They are a great value. I have 2 rods made from Rainshadow blanks and they are fantastic. Cost… A very reasonable $140.00. As you mentioned – they will put your dad’s name on it and you can pick the colors… Very cool. These rods easily compare to my $235 Loomis rods. Attach a Pflueger Supreme XT or a Shimano Stradic for about $150.00 and you have a great set-up for under $300.00.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

One nice thing about a custom rod is being able to ad that personal touch to it.

I was thinking the same thing. Adding a personal message to the blank would melt the old man’s heart.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Sorry I was thinking muskie rods are expensive. A walleye rod would be more affordable. There are some sweet rods I have seen. If you want something that will handle all of those I would try a 6’6″ rod either M or ML. Thats my 2 cents.

avery2408
    Iowa

I will second Tom on the Legend Extreme XS70MLF 7′ ML Fast. That is a great rod for you and your dads style of fishing. Also look into the Legend Elite 7′ ML. These two rods will fish a lindy or slip bobber better than anything out there. I personally don’t prefer these particular rods for jigs, but for an all purpose rod they will throw a jig nicely as well, lots of backbone on those two rods. Put dads name on one of these to rods and there you go!

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Target is just releasing their *New Snooy line up! I recommend the Super Lite Action, in a 30″…………perfect all around rod.

trytoofish
    sw Mn.

I use a st croix legend elite 6.5 MLF coupled with a the Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 for Jigging Mostly Vertical. It is the sweetest thing I have ever used. IT don’t weigh nothing. You can hold it all day and not know it.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Here is a idea, take a rod building class and build your Dad a custom rod with a personal touch.

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

Do the custom rods have the life time warranty like the St Croix’s do? If not you may want to consider that in your purchase. It should be a rod that will truly last him a lifetime then.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

Target is just releasing their *New Snooy line up! I recommend the Super Lite Action, in a 30″…………perfect all around rod.

And if you buy him a nice rod and reel combo, you can always borrow it when you go up to Lake Vermillion.

Just remember if you borrow something of your Dads and damage it, you should have it repaired at no cost to Daddy.

Right Teddy?

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I’ve had rods built by both Thorne Bro’s and Midwest Rod and Reel ( Prior Lake ) They both build a great rod. Like someone else said you may want to Take a Rod Building class and build one yourself for him. Midwest Rod and reel offers rod building classes. I took one a year or so ago. It really was not as hard as you think. They help you all the way thru the process and the cost was not that much. If interested give Al or Bill a call.

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Quote:

And if you buy him a nice rod and reel combo, you can always borrow it when you go up to Lake Vermillion.

Just remember if you borrow something of your Dads and damage it, you should have it repaired at no cost to Daddy.

Right Teddy?

Ah yes! That is why I never borrow anything from anyone, especially expensive boats with nice trolling motors!

BassMasterFunk
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Here is a idea, take a rod building class and build your Dad a custom rod with a personal touch.

I didn’t realize they offer such a class, I bet this would be a lot of fun and also learn something in the process. Does anyone know if Thorne Brothers offers a lifetime warranty on their custom rods? Thanks again for all of the ideas guys.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

Quote:

What the heck is a; “New snooy rod” anyways

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.