Shallow crankbaits…

• zachabbott
    NULL

What are some of your favorite shallow walleye producing crankbaits ( and colors)? I’m wanting to add more to my tackle box. Thanks guys

igotone

I will start it off

#5 flicker shad — pearl ghost, chrome clown, black & silver, black & gold

scheel’s has some great new colors that U can get in a 3 pack

BERKLEY FLICKER SHADS – COLOR CHART

berkley has come out with three more sizes 4,6,9 and many new colors

plus get 15 bucks back on every 40 spent

Ben Putnam
    Saint Paul, MN

Spring time in Ely you will see me running #9 and #11 firetiger and orange Original Floating Rapalas. I usually cast them off points, islands, or across current. In other situations I will troll them 100 feet or so behind the boat/canoe, depending on where I am.

zachabbott
    NULL

Has anyone had anu luck on the Rapala husky jerk or x-rap?

igotone

Quote:

Has anyone had any luck on the Rapala husky jerk or x-rap?

yes

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Three baits I will not get on the water without – PERIOD!

Live Target Gizzard shad – Pearl/blue & Ghost Blue
    Live target Rainbow Smelt – Silver blue

mojogunter

I have never heard of them. Yowza $14 for a walleye crankbait, and I thought Rapala’s were high priced. I would be paranoid running them in snaggy areas.

Quote:

Three baits I will not get on the water without – PERIOD!

Live Target Gizzard shad – Pearl/blue & Ghost Blue
    Live target Rainbow Smelt – Silver blue

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

If you shop around, you’ll find them cheaper. It took me a long time to grasp the concept of paying more money for good baits. For the thousands of dollars I spend a year to go fishing, spending an extra few % on cranks that still get slammed when the bite is tough, is well worth it. Plus, I don’t drink beer so the running joke around here is Koppers Live target is a micro brew…

BTW – Lure retriever became a standard item in my boat….but those pesky pike

mojogunter

I will give them a try. Cabela’s seem to be the only place in the area to carry them. I will check around.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The smelt is model # RSD91D201 and the gizzard shad I use most is GZV62SK600

zachabbott
    NULL

Thanks guys! I’ll have to add all of these to my tackle box before opener. I appreciate the fast responses

poomunk
    Galesville, Wisconsin

#13 and #11 max raps. Shop around and you can find them very reasonably priced.

Also like #8 and #10 husky jerks and x-raps.

Colors will vary but chatrueses patterns and gold patterns have been consistent for me.

TJ
    Hammond, WI

I agree with Randy on Live Target lures. They are pricey but cast for miles and hold up well. I have had success with the Live target yellow perch and have added the gizzard shad to my box this year. The bluegill and pumpkinseed are killer on bass.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

How deep do these shallow cranks dive? There are a lot of spots where I’d like to throw cranks but always getting snagged.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

How deep do these shallow cranks dive? There are a lot of spots where I’d like to throw cranks but always getting snagged.

The curse for us shore fisherman. Boats can cast in shallow And retrieve deeper as the lure gets further from shore. We have quite the opposite, a countdown rap would be good for that moxie, let it sink to depth at cast, then rod tip as high as you can get to have it come at an angle to you, less Snaggy for me.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

nhamm ,nice found some on tackle warehouse

btw there are baits for $30ea.

ouch!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

nhamm ,nice found some on tackle warehouse

btw there are baits for $30ea.

ouch!

Moxie, I don’t have the link handy but I was just on there earlier today pricing out swimbaits. Check out the swimbait section. There is a lure in there for nearly FOUR HUNDRED dollars.

moxie
    Sioux City,IA

A tip(before throwing a crank) I tried out yesterday was to throw out a jig and to see how deep the water is and if it’s too shallow and lose a jig, not a biggie.

btw Kevin if it’s 400 for a crank I may as well dive in and spear the fish

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

With regards to the Live Target Cranks. What size do you guys use?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

My most used is the lipless gizzard shad. 2-1/2″ 1/2oz. I think the smelt is 3 -1/4″. I have the model #s listed above

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

I prefer #10 husky Jerks and #10 X-raps for early season shallow cranking. The X-rap which is known for being fishing very aggressively also makes a great bait fished slowly. Some slow reels with a few more up tempo tugs of the bait will give you some nice hits early on. Great search lure as well if you like to fine tune and then livebait.- QB

buschman
    Pool 2

Quote:

Has anyone had anu luck on the Rapala husky jerk or x-rap?

Yes and Yes!!! #5 shad raps or flicker shads are my next bet but not so easy on the cast. Can cover much more water with a Xrap or husky jerk. Long pause is where you will get bit right now

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.