Spinner rigs over weeds

• youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Has anyone pulled spinners over tall weedbeds much? I’ve seen a bit of info about this and wanted to try it. Weedbeds that I find walleyes on are in 12-18 fow with weeds coming up much higher (about 4-5 ft tall weeds). What size weight, amount of line out, and speeds do you recommend? Could I do the same thing with slow death? Thanks!

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

It works good if the fish are there.

What I have done is use varying sizes of split shots or even snap weights depending on the depth I am fishing. I start deep so I can get the spinners running true then move in to the shallower area. Once in where you want to be let one out a little at a time until you start getting weeds, check your line counter reel and adjust the others to a few feet less and as long as your speed is steady you should have the spinners where you want them.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Bass style bullet weights, tiny swivel, couple extra bigger beads above the blade, hide the hook tips in the bait instead of through it. You can pull blades THROUGH the weeds all day long.

Zach H

I like to pull spinners over the weeds using planer boards. Call me crazy, but if I pull over the weeds I clip the bottom bouncer only 2-3 ft (or whatever depth you desire)behind the board which keeps the line above the weeds. Walleyes laying in the weeds see the spinner a come up and blast it. This is one of my favorite and most productive ways to catch fish on one of the lakes I fish often.

navigator175

I have used 20′ & 14′ telescoping crappie poles with crawler harnesses.
    Just lift them up and shake off weeds and set them back down to keep on fishing.25# mono same length as rod,#5 split shot. Rod will taco in half,grab it run to bow of boat and heave! Net man better be ready,can’t let them bury in the weeds. It is a blast of a fire drill when that bite is on!!!

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

Quote:

Bass style bullet weights, tiny swivel, couple extra bigger beads above the blade, hide the hook tips in the bait instead of through it. You can pull blades THROUGH the weeds all day long.

X2 I also use the lindy snag less hooks, seems to help with keeping the weeds off.

hunter1723

Planer boards are a good idea, never thought of that. Any info on how to use the planer boards. I have never used them before.

youngfry
    Northeast Iowa

Thanks guys. Good info. I’ll be trying this out next week so hopefully I’ll be able to make it work!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.