Expensive rods

• Ryan

In all honesty, before I got back into fishing, I could’ve cared less about the more expensive rods. I just went in the store, picked out a less expensive one and said, yea this feels pretty good to me, this one will do. However, the more I’m getting back into it, I’m kicking myself for not investing in upper end rods years ago. I can definitely feel the difference now that I’ve fished with $200+ rods compared to the $50 rods I’ve always fished with. To me, it makes all the difference in the world. The craftsmanship and action on all of them are incredible. I’ve taken a lot of trips to Ontario with my dad and brother through the years and it kills me to think of how many fish I’ve missed fishing with the lower end rods. Live and learn I guess.

I used to call myself an experienced avid fisherman but with all the new rods and info out there to learn and choose from, I’m demoting myself to a beginner and I’m not ashamed to admit that.

Investing in top end equipment makes all the difference in the world.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why do you think those TUCRs and all these slick ice customs fly off the shelves like they do?
    [/quote]

Because people have to have what’s hot. And what’s all over to be part of what’s going on. Just as every one had to have a thorne bros something or another when this site was sponsored by them.

critterhouse 75
    western wisconsin

No custom rods here…but I do have three St Croix Premier..five Avids and a Wild Rivers…I know I’m sick but will not go more expensive than that..Ice fishing Im not particular its whatever feels good. never more than $35.00

big_g
    Isle, MN

IMHO, a good rod is about $80… give or take. Hard water, give me a $3 spring bobber and a 2×4 & I bet I will stay with your customs, tucrs and thornes and whatever else out there. coffee Its nice having nice things, not gonna lie.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I will be happy to take you up on that challenge this winter Big_g. PM me when we get some hard water and lets have some fun on the ice. toast

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I will be happy to take you up on that challenge this winter Big_g. PM me when we get some hard water and lets have some fun on the ice. toast

I want to be apart of this.I got money on big G! I’ll do spring tip on a stick. Panfish.

Dan Baker

Here’s a great take on Cheap Vs. Expensive Rods from the guys at Tactical Bassing, It does a really nice job breaking down the pros and cons of both cheap and expensive rods, and it’s not brand specific.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

I want to be apart of this.I got money on big G! I’ll do spring tip on a stick. Panfish.

I’m in….I’ll bring an old Berkeley tip up and a case of beer. That’s how I ice fish.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>bob clowncolor wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Rodwork wrote:</div>

I’m in….I’ll bring an old Berkeley tip up and a case of beer. That’s how I ice fish.

I’ll drink your guys beer and be the judge. I’d hate to out fish everyone anyways.

carroll58
    Twin Cities, USA

I have a variety of Fishing Tools (Roads and Reels) and they need to be matched to the fishing situation.

For Flipping for Bass in the Slop you don’t need a $300 Rod & Reel, but for Jigging Fish (Walleyes, Perch, Crappie, etc.) in 50-fow but the sensitivity of a road matched with a good reel and the right choice of line makes a difference. You may not need a super expensive reel for jigging deep, but for flipping and pulling a 5# Bass with 10# of weeds of of the slop, you will need a great Reel.

Just as in anything else, the right tools matched together will help you put more fish in the boat.

For me on the low end I have a $40 (2-piece) 6’6″ Diawa rod I bought 20 years ago I still use for fishing a Seinko on weed edges matched with a $30 spinning reel and 8# mono. I have a Bass-X 7’6″ rod for Frogs in the slop with a $120 Reel with 50# Spiderwire. I have a $80 Graphite (noname blank) custom built 6’8″ for Jigging with a $50 Spinning Reel and 4# Mono which has caught plenty of deep fish.

big_g
    Isle, MN

I’ll drink your guys beer and be the judge. I’d hate to out fish everyone anyways.

Did I mention the 2×4 doubles as a beer protector. cool jester chased

Jonesy

The only rod you need to spend money on is a jigging and pitching rod.

Sensitivity and lightweight make a huge difference there.

You can buy a $400 GLoomis bottom bouncing rod…..but I guarantee it won’t catch anymore fish than a $40 rod with the same power and action, given the presentation.

I agree with this 100%. I had a topic awhile back asking why people spend money on high price trolling rods.

High price trolling rods, why?

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

If its Busch lite I’ll put a helmet on and duck and weave

Deuces

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>big_g wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

If its Busch lite I’ll put a helmet on and duck and weave

Can I sit back, get wasted off Crown and do a play by play to IDO?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I never understood expensive rods for sturgeon, cats, or downrigger/leadline…. anything in a rod holder, and I am mostly equipped with $30 or so rods.

I’ve caught plenty of cats and sturgeon with $50. glass rods. When I moved to graphite, I caught just as many. The advantage for me was “feeling” if there were leaves or weeds on the end of the line without reeling the bait in.

Also, in the spring when I’m searching the bottom in new or old locations (mostly without a hook), it’s nice to be able to tell if it’s rock, sand, mud or leaf bottom, not to mention sticks and trees but any rod will tell a person that.

I feel the fight is so much better over the “way too bendable” glass rod, but that’s a personal preference too.

At one time I was using two rods. On for flats and the other for sturgeon and channels. After switching to carbon fiber, I can now use one rod without compromise. I just change to a lighter weight reel for channels and sturgeon.

I’m still using the Team Catfish I-Cat rod made out of carbon fiber although they’ve been discontinued mostly because of the $150.00 price tag.

For walleyes…I know this guy that would send an angler out with a $350. St Croix rod with a no obligation “try before you buy” even if they weren’t in the rod buying market.

More often than not, a credit card was handed over when they came back in. There is a big difference in the feel/sensitivity apparently (for vertical jigging at least).

Kyhl
    Savage

the two most expensive open water rods i have are Fenwick HMX. I think i maybe paid $70 a piece for them. To answer one of your questions i would probably classify anything over $100 as expensive and anything under $40 to be inexpensive.

I could see where if you were doing certain types of finesse fishing the rod can matter a lot but as others have mentioned if I’m casting crank baits or trolling bottom bouncers just about any old stick will do IMO. I do find that i enjoy a higher end <em class=”ido-tag-em”>ice fishing rod however. I have a few Thorn Bro rods that i love as well as a TUCR and i definitely prefer them to some of the cheaper ice rods i own.

Wait until you try the HMG.

I’ve slowly been moving up to just over $100 for rods that are held in hand where I want to feel everything that happens.

Forgot about the Lightning rod. My first was 20 some years ago and wow was that better than the cheap stuff I was using before it. Think I had two. Then came some custom deals through a friend. Don’t even know who made those rods. Which lead me to the HMX. Five years ago I found the HMG. Combined with a Supreme is about as good as it gets for me. Have three with Supremes and fourth with a Revo and really like them. Still have a couple HMX in the boat but they are now relegated to bobber rigs.

I am sure it gets better but I think $120 is my current ceiling for open water.

Leadcore, bottom bouncers, general trolling rods, I’m good with some $60 to $80 combo that is on sale.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I can see it now.
    Bearcat comes in on the right but Big_g sees him. There is the swing to push Bearcat back but wait with that Big_g just set the hook on another fish.

big_g
    Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>MAVERICK wrote:</div>

I can see it now.
    Bearcat comes in on the right but Big_g sees him. There is the swing to push Bearcat back but wait with that Big_g just set the hook on another fish.

rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol rotflol

Denny O
    Central IOWA

With the exception of the first 3 rods I bought when I got into fishing 35 or so years ago I think I paid less than 100 dollars for each of the Fenwick IM6/7’s maybe. Then my telescoping 13 and 16 foot crappie poles they were less than 25 bucks and I have a couple of other Fenwicks. My planer board rods I think are in the 60 to 80 dollar range.
    Most of my rods are mid upper end G-Loomis and Scheels in the nano series. These are in a range of maybe 200 to 350 max each.

Sensitivity and where the back bone break occurs makes most of my discussion. I only have a few rods less that the 7′ +/- an inch or so (crappie and planer board rods are excluded).

Deleted

$40 for rods
    $40 for reels

I just bought two more ugly stik rods yesterday.

I’ve got
    – 4 Daiwa trolling rods
    – 1 “13” ice rod
    – 10 various ugly stik rods

It ain’t the most expensive boat or gear that puts fish in the fryer.

B-man

$40 for rods
    $40 for reels

I just bought two more ugly stik rods yesterday.

I’ve got
    – 4 Daiwa trolling rods
    – 1 “13” ice rod
    – 10 various ugly stik rods

It ain’t the most expensive boat or gear that puts fish in the fryer.

I used to think you were an all right guy….. Beginning to second guess that. You’re making a lot of us look bad mrgreen

You need more rods jester

Deleted

Considering that up until 2017 I never owned more than 3 rod/reel setups at one time, for my whole household. I’m feeling pretty good now to be where I’m at. Really only been fishing for specific fish since 2017. Before that I was just happy to catch anything and didn’t have a clue what I was doing. Fishing is a lot more fun now that I’ve actually put some effort into it.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Thomas flame , you need to do a way better job before the end of the year!
    If you can’t pony up by then I’ll have to rescind your man card! devil

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Speaking of $40 for a reel…

You can’t beat a Shimano Sienna for $30. That’s almost exclusively what I run now. Great drag, smooth, just an all-around good reel!

carnivore
    Dubuque, Iowa

About 30 years ago I was fishing a club Walleye tournament and my partner said he was getting pick ups but the fish kept dropping the bait. I said get out of here I don’t feel anything. At that point he handed me his G Loomis rod and I too could feel the lite pickups. From that point on I’ve been hooked on the G Loomis fast tip which I think is the best in production rods. I believe I have caught many hundreds more fish by feeling bites I wouldn’t even know I had with other rods. Snags are also reduced with better feel. All my pitching, vertical jigging, rigging and 3-way rods are fast tip G Loomis. For cranking, trolling, pulling bottom bouncers etc. I buy moderate priced rods of various brands made for those applications.

Viewing 25 posts - 31 through 55 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.