Evinrude Why Not?

• David G

Why would you not want more torque, more top end, less emissions, better fuel economy, much less maintenance, easier winterization, much cleaner, and space saving mounting. Should I continue? Tell me why I shouldn’t put a New Evinrude E Tech G-2 175 on my new Alumacraft 185 Competitor Sport.

disco bobber

Because on an Evinrude the pee-hole only dribbles, not a nice strong stream. As a middle aged man I don’t need to be reminded of my personal issues.

Hot Runr Guy
    West Chicago, IL

I’m a fan of ‘rudes, but the resale and ability to sell the rig down the road will suffer. If this is a 10-20 year rig for you, go for it.

HRG

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Why would you not want more torque, more top end, less emissions, better fuel economy, much less maintenance, easier winterization, much cleaner, and space saving mounting. Should I continue? Tell me why I shouldn’t put a New Evinrude E Tech G-2 175 on my new Alumacraft 185 Competitor Sport.

Had a salesman try and jam one down my throat once so he could get a spiff / kickback that he was hiding from the owner of the dealership. That left a bad taste. Also the bogus advertisements turn me of. Lastly, I’m a four stroke guy.

If you want a Evinrude go for it. It’s your money, nobody really cares what you hang on it.

hawghunter08

If that’s what would make you happy, do it. I bet it would be an awesome motor. Better than the others out there? Who knows. Sure you would be happy though. Don’t know if you can really go too wrong brand wise these days. More than anything I think choosing enough horse power for your particular boat is more important than anything. Good luck with your choice

mojogunter

The Yamaha faithful will whine constantly about it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s your boat, go for it. Don’t worry about what others think

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

It all boils down to if have a good dealer you like and trust.I think there all good when they work but when they don’t they can be junk.If your dealer is close,like within an hour and you like him go for it.
    I would say if you could somehow swing a yammi that would be my rout.

catnip
    south metro

If i was in the market for a new motor evinrude would be my only choice. Stronger lighter faster and better looking. And i have a 56, 57,58 and an 89 evinrude that all still run and i can get parts for them. My buddy has a 1913 evinrude that still runs great! They have the longest track record of any outboard that i am aware of and its a good one in my opinion.

Ripjiggen

I’m a fan of ‘rudes, but the resale and ability to sell the rig down the road will suffer. If this is a 10-20 year rig for you, go for it.

HRG

So not true.

I have a gen 1 evinrude been good to me. I have heard some not so good reports on the Gen 2 however. I think they were the early model gen 2. Don’t know anyone with a new gen 2.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I’ll add one more thing.
    I have heard but don’t know how true it is that those motors are pretty complex. Some of the things I have read is that you need a mechanic that is trained on those particular motors. Now, with Evinrude being paired with AlumaCraft I have to ask myself is there enough quality trained mechanics out there? I don’t know. Like I said I’ve read that on Walleye Central and don’t know how much truth there is to it but might be something to look into.

Ripjiggen

I think at this point with any of the new motors I would take to a certified mechanic dealer. New motor nice long warranty on them.

B-man

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

HRG

So not true.

I have a gen 1 evinrude been good to me. I have heard some not so good reports on the Gen 2 however. I think they were the early model gen 2. Don’t know anyone with a new gen 2.

The Gen 1’s were junk….the Gen 2’s, the jury is still out, but you don’t seem to have much faith in them.

From my personal and complete biased opinion, they are the last outboard I would hang on my boat. I’m going off of friends experiences, not something I read on the internet. One friend even popped two of them…..he’s batting 1,000

I’ll take a Yammie, Mercury, Zuke or Honda before I ever even consider an E-Tec.

Every manufacturer has a lemon here and there…..but when you’re known for growing lemon trees and have to offer a 10 year warranty just to buy customers, it should be a red flag.

Ranger boats were pushed heavily with G1 E-tecs not long ago…..you’d be hard pressed to find one that doesn’t have a new powerhead or is due for one.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

HRG

What HRG says is correct. If you look on WC or Walleye 1st–boats for sale you will see any boat with an Etec on it is has a much lower price. Maybe they are less expensive on initial purchase also. I don’t know if that is true. But buy what you like, it’s you money and you’re the only one you have to please.

bowtecmike
    Zimmerman mn

I owned a 2016 300 G2 worst motor I ever owned. Very complex to work on I was told by a very reputable mechanic BRP certified that fixed mine 4 times in 2 seasons each time was 3 weeks off the water water for BRP to approve warranty and ship parts. And the issues were very serious issues ignition cutting out at full throttle, mid section steering coming loose under power etc. a buddy had a 2016 250 G2 tiller and 2 warranties in 2 seasons as well. Similiar issues. Maybe we both had lemons… not sure. But I won’t ever hang one on my boat again. I also had a hell of a time selling that boat everybody wanted the boat but nobody wanted the motor!

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Evinrude junk? Probably not. They have there place. Now if you want to enjoy you boat every weekend and most weeks in our very limited summers then it’s a no brainer!! You can have the best warranty out there but it doesn’t get your weekends back!! Yamaha, Suzuki,Mercury anything fourstroke!! Hands down. No questions

David Anderson
    Dayton, MN

Well, based on the fact that BRP bought Alumacraft, I suspect the package deal is pretty good. I have been running my 250HO G2 since 2015 and I’ve only had 2 issues. The power steering went out and was told they replaced it with a stronger plastic piece. Last year it went out again and this time they said they replaced it with a metal piece, both repairs only took a day. The other issue was hitting a rock on Lac Seul at 34 mph………not the engine’s fault. This is my first “big” motor as I did exclusively tillers since 1982, a Lund S14 Deluxe with a 25 hp Evinrude. Honestly I had more problems with that one than my current. It’s got a lot of torque, pretty quiet, for a 250 hp(+10%) on a 620 Ranger it gets at least 25% better gas mileage than a comparable year 4 strokes on the boats I run with. I have nothing bad to say about 4 strokes but it is nice to just press a button before putting it away although I certainly didn’t buy it because of that. I average about 3 gallons of XD100 oil per year, average usage looks to be about a 70:1 ratio. You are always going to find strong opinions either way, love’em or hate’em, especially to those that only see 4 stroke’s. If your going to buy a new Lund your best deal will be with Merc. Now that Johnnie Morris owns Ranger, there is a significant savings in ordering with a Mercury. The last thing I am worried about is resale as I am not replacing my boat every year or two. I certainly would not be afraid of it. Mine is an earlier model, stuff like the power steering issues have been worked out. One thing that is nice about these motors is they are very easily to upgrade to the latest and great. I just had it to my dealer and told them to check for any upgrades, it makes my 2015 run the same as a 2020. Good luck

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I know a number of outboard mechanics that work on every make and model. Every single one has told me the same thing when I ask about Evinrudes… “don’t do it! Don’t ever do it!” Cost of repair is through the roof.

Plus this is 100% fact no ones opinion. Look at boats for sale on Walleye Central. Take two boats, one with a Yamaha and one with an Evinrude and compare what they sell for. The difference is barely believable.

Last spring I was looking at 620’s and the yamaha boats sold in hours to a few days, The same boats with Evinrudes took many drops in price and months to sell.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hot Runr Guy wrote:</div>

HRG

What HRG says is correct. If you look on WC or <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>Walleye 1st–boats for sale you will see any boat with an Etec on it is has a much lower price. Maybe they are less expensive on initial purchase also. I don’t know if that is true. But buy what you like, it’s you money and you’re the only one you have to please.

Well said guys. You did a better job than I did explaining this.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I know a number of outboard mechanics that work on every make and model. Every single one has told me the same thing when I ask about Evinrudes… “don’t do it! Don’t ever do it!” Cost of repair is through the roof.

Plus this is 100% fact no ones opinion. Look at boats for sale on <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleye Central. Take two boats, one with a Yamaha and one with an Evinrude and compare what they sell for. The difference is barely believable.

Last spring I was looking at 620’s and the yamaha boats sold in hours to a few days, The same boats with Evinrudes took many drops in price and months to sell.

X2!

Sylvanboat

It pains me to hear what has happened to Evinrude. I bot mine in 1996 when OMC built them. Ontario guides called them the most reliable outboards on the planet. I have never had a speck of problems with mine. FICHT killed OMC.

pete the catfisherman
    Crawford county WI

I used a 2013 50 horse etech for two years and it was junk. Not to mention they stink. Slow too.

Ross Gunderson

Ask the mechanics they will tell you no to Evon rude if they know you well. Had a long conversation last fall with them and they said Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda are the way to go. Also said for four wheelers go Yamaha or Honda for reliability not Polaris.

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

David – your on a Yamaha leaning website asking about the dreaded 2 stroke. What type of responses were you expecting other than negative?

Having owned a few Etechs here’s my feedback.

The 150 engine is by far their #1 quality product. Going above the 200 block incurs risk. Both my g1 225 & 250’s consumed powerheads.

My 150’s & 90 experience has been wonderful. Low oil consumption, great fuel efficiency & provides why I buy them, low end torque. I prefer heavy hulled boats and cannot tolerate barely crawling out of the hole.

2 strokes obviously aren’t for everyone. Take a look at your personality and couple your boat with the engine that best fits your needs.

Lastly, the #1 thing my outdoor toys MUST have? A quality, reliable dealer. Cuz the one thing that WILL happen, is you will need service, at some point. There’s not one brand immune to problems. Made by humans, guaranteed to fail.

Lastly, on the water test drives is what you need. That’d be my #1 goal if I was unsure.

Good luck

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I wouldn’t necessarily say this is a Yamaha web site. More of a pro 4 stroke site. I’m a member of Walleye Central, Fishing Minnesota, Minnesota Outdoors, Muskie First & Lake State and for what it’s worth I wouldn’t say any of those are pro Evinrude either. Well, except for the blowhard on Walleye Central from New York who will take every opportunity to pump Evinrude to the point of wanting to make you vomit. As I mentioned I’m not anti Evinrude as much as I’m pro 4 stroke.

Grab the big warranty, grab the lower price. Worse thing that can happen is you spend the money you saved fixing the motor after the warranty ends. Best thing that can happen is you get to come back here in 5 years and say I told ya so! grin

Seriously, your cash spend it as you like. peace

Musky Ed

It will take more than a good dealer, to help you with a problem E-tec. Was a long time Evinrude fan till 2007, when I got a new boat with a 150 E-tec. Was an absolute powerhouse, at first, till I had about 5 hrs on it. Then it started dying on me, on the water. Would just shut off. Dealer tried everything, not only did the engine keep shutting down, but had lost over 300 rpm. We had the factory rep there twice, they reprogrammed it multiple times, Rep and I would go out on the water with the laptop hooked up to see what engine was doing, was quite interesting, but engine still kept dying, and never did get rpm back. Dealer wanted to give me a new engine, BRP said no. They would argue like crazy as to what the problem was, but never did fix it. Had to trade it in to get rid of it. While some people love them, never again for me. If you get a good one, they are fantastic, if not, a good dealer can’t even help you at times. There is a reason why resale is so bad on them.

basseyes

David – your on a Yamaha leaning website asking about the dreaded 2 stroke. What type of responses were you expecting other than negative?

Yawn-maha’s are great motors, just kinda boring like your reliable grandma in the speed department.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mojogunter wrote:</div>
    The Yamaha faithful will whine constantly about it.

X2, it’s like a cult.

Kinda like reformed smokers. They are right, they are healthier, they do save money, they don’t need to worry about second hand smoke yada, yada, yada.

Why do they have to be right. coffee

queenswake
    NULL

It does bother me some to see fans of certain brains becomes almost brainwashed into not even considering other options. I agree that it’s really a 4-stroke vs 2-stroke. I sure hope by now that people realize that today’s Merc are just as good as that Yamaha. Same with Suzuki.

It’s like many of the Toyota/Honda fans of cars. OK, 20 years ago those were better running cars than your domestics. But not today. Today’s Fords and Chevys are every bit as good, if not better. If you are still only considering Toyota or Honda, you are missing out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.