Muskie Mortality Experiences

• haner

Recently myself and few other muskie buddies have been seen quite a few dead floaters (some big fish too). I couldnt sleep last night after having these conversations w/ them. I was hoping you guys would share your opinion on WHY??? And share if anyone is having current similar experiences or past experiences. I will share a past experience : I was on Lobster Lake 2 yrs ago. The water was clear that day and i happened to see 8 dead muskies in the 9fow or less(not floating, on the bottom). And i only looked for about 30 min., so i assume there were many more. What does eveyone think it is? Fishermen/Fisherwomen?? Water Temps??? Disease?? I dont know. Please help me try to come up w/ why so many dead fish, especially recently!!! I think the dead ones will only float for a short time, then sink to the bottom, so we really dont see all the mortality. The big fish i boated last week, took forever to get revived, not too long of a battle, never came out of the water, not hooked bad, no handling at all, not even in the net???? ANYONE???

bowhuntr24
    Somerset, Wisconsin

Sounds very odd. Unless somebody would rather have the walleyes be productive in that lake? Be interesting to see what you find out.

Bob Bowman
    MN

In that area of the state it could have been a group called ” No more muskies”. They run a knife through everyone that they can get their hands on. It appears that all of the walleyes have been eaten out of those lakes, but it has nothing to do with all the years of stringers full of big walleyes being taken by anglers, its all the muskies eating those walleyes.

jeremy-liebig
    mpls

I’m sure the recent high water temps also have something to do with it.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Quote:

I’m sure the recent high water temps also have something to do with it.

I 100% agree with the temps too

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Two years ago was a hot summer with very high water temps. I’m sure the high water temps and less disolved oxygen in the upper water column probably caused some of it…guys trolling deep during periods of extreme heat will kill’em (saw a lot of that on White Bear that year), not sure if there is any netting going on out on Lobster? On Cass Lake I’ve seen lots of dead muskies sitting on the bottom in shallow water along with tons of Pike and Bass right where they gill net…sucks.

Ferlin Cobb
    minneapolis, mn

• Muskies played too long (inadequate gear/line weight)

• Held out of the water too long

• Gill damage from handling

• Bad hookups removed without cutting hooks

• Baits swallowed by muskie (anglers not using leaders)

• High water temps

• Low oxygen levels (weed removal from some lakes = less oxygen)

haner

why are some floater and others on the bottom???? Any ideas??? Keep this POST rolling, its driving me nutz??? All opinions or ideas are good.

The Pessimist

Quote:

no handling at all, not even in the net????

Then how did you get an accurate measurement of that 54″ without handling it and without a measurement device in the boat?

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Then how did you get an accurate measurement of that 54″ without handling it and without a measurement device in the boat?

Welcome to IDA… Nice first post, kinda fits the username.

haner

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Welcome to IDA… Nice first post, kinda fits the username.

mark_johnson
    St. Croix River

Quote:

Quote:

Pessimist ? Hmm……I just heard someone a week ago accuse a member of hiding behind a nickname.

Your first post kinda smells like

haner

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm……I just heard someone a week ago accuse a member of hiding behind a nickname.

Whatever, it wasnt me. Large fish are extemely difficult to handle, plus i am most worried about the fish dieing , which i would hope you would appreciate, i know i do. If i would have had someone w/ me i would have definetly taken better measurements and girth for a replica, but i am guessing the fish probably for sure would have died w/ even moderate and careful handling

catmando
    wis

Years ago they sprayed Bone Lake, here in wis. I cant remember with what. But it killed a bunch of muskies, i think it had something to do with water temp, and what was used. 9 dead skies in one area is alot.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

You’re losing us Slow, or should I say quickly…. Now that you have come clean on not “actually” measuring your fish, but just guestimating, based on arm length. Is there anything else you would like to elaborate on, when it comes to the “fact”, or “fiction” of your fish stories? This is just a website, no glory, no trophies for best catch, just guys sharing. That said, if you want to continue to fabricate things, and stretch the truth, go ahead, but pretty soon no one is going to listen.

haner

no i sd i measurd it w/ fishing line, and couldnt stretch my arms as far as the fish, trust me, why would i lie? There would be no reason to lie.

The Pessimist

Pessimist ? Hmm……I just heard someone a week ago accuse a member of hiding behind a nickname.

I’ve been reading the posts awhile and like the board. Good info and good people. There are a lot of people that use nicknames. Some other boards don’t allow nicknames, but this board does. I prefer a nickname. My brother calls me the pessimist. I asked a legitimate question. Not trying to cause trouble.

Calvin, thank you for the welcome.

The Pessimist

I’m 5’9″ 165lb and just measured my wingspan at 67″. I did this measurement while leaning over my desk, similar to leaning over the side of the boat. I’m obviously not a large person and my arms are normal length.

dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

So easy even a cave man can do it.

haner

Quote:

I’m 5’9″ 165lb and just measured my wingspan at 67″. I did this measurement while leaning over my desk, similar to leaning over the side of the boat. I’m obviously not a large person and my arms are normal length.

That is obvious, a wingspan is much wider than that, but remember reaching down from the boat and the fish isnt going to sit perfectly straight as your drifting, you would know what i am talking about if you ever have done the same measurement technique. I have done it many times and in the fall when fish have a better survival rate have compared the accuracy to that technique and has proven fairly accurate (atleast within a 1/2 inch) thats why i believe it was under estimated. But certainly enough of the conversations regarding the big fish i caught. I will just have to show Mr. Larson a thing or two . And maybe he can show me or to. Or even what i think would be fun is a head to head battle on a lake neither of us have much experience fishing and make a bet who can produce. That would be fun. Put some money on the line and see who can get there roll on. That was a friendly challenge!

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

Slow I have an even better idea for you than your arms. What I did for “guestimate” measurments, which is good for most musky fishermen/women, when I use to fish alone wading a river, is I use to put tape on my rod in 6″ increments from 36″-54″ on my rod. As you are reviving your fish (which should be done every time) is just lay your rod beside the fish. That for me got me within an inch with no undo stress on the fish. And if you tell me your rod isn’t long enough I’m going to have to have Bob raise the flag one more time

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Back to the dead muskies…….

Now is a good time to drop the addiction and chase bass. Until the waters cool back into the 70’s, delayed mortalities are more common than avoided. If I remember the last article I read on this, the projected DM from water 80 degrees and higher was 80%. Think about it…… that’s 4 out of 5 fish caught…… dead.

From the low catch reports I’ve been hearing from various waters, there may be more than just battle stress taking place here.

Weather is supposed to get dreadfully hot again so I’m just swearing off the ski’s anywhere the water is 76 degrees and warmer. If I really care about the fish, I’ll leave them alone until they’re more physically able to withstand the strain.

Another study blurb….. The bigger the fish, the more fragile it’s well being becomes. Many other factors can kill them…… this is true, but I’m not feeling real enthusiastic about making any possible contributions to the problem.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Slow, you need to get up to thorne and get yourself one of those floating measuring sticks. They are sweet, they fit in the rod locker, and you never have to remove the fish from the water except for a quick photo op They are also extremely accurate, to a 1/2″ or so.

haner

Quote:

Back to the dead muskies…….

Now is a good time to drop the addiction and chase bass. Until the waters cool back into the 70’s, delayed mortalities are more common than avoided. If I remember the last article I read on this, the projected DM from water 80 degrees and higher was 80%. Think about it…… that’s 4 out of 5 fish caught…… dead.

From the low catch reports I’ve been hearing from various waters, there may be more than just battle stress taking place here.

Weather is supposed to get dreadfully hot again so I’m just swearing off the ski’s anywhere the water is 76 degrees and warmer. If I really care about the fish, I’ll leave them alone until they’re more physically able to withstand the strain.

Another study blurb….. The bigger the fish, the more fragile it’s well being becomes. Many other factors can kill them…… this is true, but I’m not feeling real enthusiastic about making any possible contributions to the problem.

I agree!!! Well said. I have been thinking (why are there so many poor reports coming in this yr) HMMM, possibly anything to do w/ our scorching summers????? I dont know, could be. W/ the hot water temps are most of our released fish dying??? I am not a firm believer like some of my buddies that think just because the fish swims off good, that it is stil going to survive. Just got back from Mille lacs, water temps there are currently 68 degrees per my locator, not saying my locator couldnt be wrong, but thats what it says. Anybody else have a comment on the one post a few back that says deep water trolling can kill fish as well, i have heard that before, but why does it kill them, and how does it kill them. Any proof that it for sure does kill them? What is considered deep trolling, how deep? or lure depth?

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

I believe that its the same principle as when you are ice fishing and you pull a perch out of 30-40 fow. The difference in pressure on the fish causes their air bladder to come up into their throat, or it may burst. Either way its like a human getting the bends. Just a thought though.

muskybuck
    Coon Rapids, MN

Stillakid2, You hit the nail on the head!!!!

haner

Quote:

I believe that its the same principle as when you are ice fishing and you pull a perch out of 30-40 fow. The difference in pressure on the fish causes their air bladder to come up into their throat, or it may burst. Either way its like a human getting the bends. Just a thought though.

I have thought the same thing, some people say that isnt true for muskies. I would think it would be also be the same, pulling them from deep water and the air bladder explodes (i think they die no mater what when that happens, even if they swim away)?? anyone??? How deep is too deep?? I wish i knew a biologist who maybe really knows all these answers. Good info, thanks!

agentesox
    Minneapolis, Minnesota

Muskies feed up…run a crank 20 feet down and how deep did that fish come from? Pull that fish from a comfortable temp, fight it to the boat, F#$k around with it in the net, measure it and pick it up for a picture so that you can post it on the internet so everyone thinks you’re great, put it back in the 81* surface water with low dissolved oxygen levels, Dick around some more trying to get an accurate measurement so Bob and Dan believe you…might have a floater?

Water hits 80 and I chase Smallies, hell after the first two weeks in June I’m lucky if I pick up a Musky rod til Sept. except for a LOTW trip. Mille Lacs will not get hot enough to be dangerous IMO, too big a body of water and it blows way too hard out there. I just hate that pond in the summer unless I’m Walleye/Smallie fishing. For Muskies, idiot fishing if you ask me…go to the north end and cast a double ten in the dark with the other fifty boats, catch a fish…”wow! I’m good at this Muskie thing..I should be sponsored and fish tournaments”…HAHAHAHA think again.

As for the “that fish isn’t what it is because you don’t have an accurate measurement” thing, well you’re not in a tournament so who cares? If you think it was that big than it was to you and who cares what others say? I don’t carry a camera or a measuring stick anymore, a big fish is a big fish.

I do like the pick a neutral lake and fish against each other deal…I might be in on that

bigfritzzz
    hudson

we dont need another idiot out there anyway!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.