Vineland Bay

• gary_wellman
    South Metro

Hey Slow Rollin.

You are getting challenged alot here.

Give me a call or shoot me an email and I will help you get those photos up!

[email protected]

or

1-800-283-8146

That and I’d like to chat with ya about possibly doing a trip swap in the boat with ya if you pound metro waters much! With my crazy work schedule, I’m finding almost impossible to get out much, that and my regular muskie partner is suffering from some arthritis, so he can’t cast much anymore.

haner

Here are a few from last yr. Some real hogs. Who let the dogs out??? All 3 over 50. I have more from this yr that arent developed yet.

haner

Whew, what a hog??? Slow Rollin!!! Cant get a few others on the site, says its to big (bytes??) to put on.

whiskeyandwater
    ????

Nice looking fish Slow.

If you want your others on PM me and I’ll give you My E-mail and I can reduce the size for you so you can get them up.

b-curtis
    Farmington, MN

Those are some nice looking fish. You can go to Microsoft Power toys and download the imageresizer. Once you install it, just right click on a picture, select resize picture, and you can make it smaller. Works pretty good.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I just have to say… I can visit any muskie site on the internet and find guys in a pis*ing contest about who catches what, I’ve caught this, I don’t believe you, blah, blah, blah.

If slow rollin is telling the truth it wouldn’t surprise me at all. I know guys that fish the way he says he does and catch fish like he says he’s catching. If I were catching fish on Mille Lacs, I wouldn’t be posting it on the internet anywhere. Has anyone here heard of Luke Ronnestrand’s June full moon pattern on Mille Lacs? I hear he’s had that figured out for 3 or 4 years now and its barely known/talked about. Point being, there’s some ridiculously good fishing to be had for those willing to put in the time and effort to figure something out. Luck that ain’t.

Also, I know guys who catch fish away from the crowds on Mille Lacs. It isn’t easy fishing, but the fish are less pressured in certain areas and you get a much higher ratio of strikes to follows. The question is, would you rather catch 2 and see one other fish or have two dozen follows and hook nothing? It’s not like muskies only live in a few places on the lake. Maybe a good number of them frequent certain areas, but standing in line to throw cowgirls over the sand at Malmo, even if there are fewer people around at night, doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Here’s a funny story about some guys that make slow rollin look like a wuss: About 8 years ago I met two roofers from Illinois who said they had something like 1000 hours on IL water without a fish over 40″. They were staying at the same place I was on Lake Bemidji. These guys were hell bent on getting a big one and willing to do anything. This was the tail end of the Plantanganette hey-day, and they heard that slow topwaters on Plant was the thing to do. They literally trolled for 2 days/3 nights straight – hawg wobblers at idle speed – and took turns in a sleeping bag while the other drove. I bet their outboard didn’t run right for a while afterwards, but they caught a 50″er. In my book, those guys are crazy as sh*t house rats … but good for them just the same.

Congrats, Slow Rollin, if you’re catching fish. Since it turned into an online ego match, well, I couldn’t care less. (yawn)

gary_wellman
    South Metro

Well said John!

Slow contacted me for help on cropping his pictures to fit.

Here is a good fat fish!!!!
    Slow,
    where did you hook this one? Give us the story!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

On the email, the pic is titled 52×25.
    She is a good tanker!!!

haner

Quote:

I just have to say… I can visit any muskie site on the internet and find guys in a pis*ing contest about who catches what, I’ve caught this, I don’t believe you, blah, blah, blah.

Thanks for the compliment. Not trying to prove any type of point or make myself look great. Some people on the site wanted to see some pics for enjoyment. I would love to fish w/ those guys from ILL. Thats how i roll. I only know 1 other guy who rolls like that w/ me and we typically nail em when we are together. He wont leave the water, its doesnt matter if we havent seen a fish in 20hrs, just keep slow rollin.

If slow rollin is telling the truth it wouldn’t surprise me at all. I know guys that fish the way he says he does and catch fish like he says he’s catching. If I were catching fish on Mille Lacs, I wouldn’t be posting it on the internet anywhere. Has anyone here heard of Luke Ronnestrand’s June full moon pattern on Mille Lacs? I hear he’s had that figured out for 3 or 4 years now and its barely known/talked about. Point being, there’s some ridiculously good fishing to be had for those willing to put in the time and effort to figure something out. Luck that ain’t.

Also, I know guys who catch fish away from the crowds on Mille Lacs. It isn’t easy fishing, but the fish are less pressured in certain areas and you get a much higher ratio of strikes to follows. The question is, would you rather catch 2 and see one other fish or have two dozen follows and hook nothing? It’s not like muskies only live in a few places on the lake. Maybe a good number of them frequent certain areas, but standing in line to throw cowgirls over the sand at Malmo, even if there are fewer people around at night, doesn’t appeal to me at all.

Here’s a funny story about some guys that make slow rollin look like a wuss: About 8 years ago I met two roofers from Illinois who said they had something like 1000 hours on IL water without a fish over 40″. They were staying at the same place I was on Lake Bemidji. These guys were hell bent on getting a big one and willing to do anything. This was the tail end of the Plantanganette hey-day, and they heard that slow topwaters on Plant was the thing to do. They literally trolled for 2 days/3 nights straight – hawg wobblers at idle speed – and took turns in a sleeping bag while the other drove. I bet their outboard didn’t run right for a while afterwards, but they caught a 50″er. In my book, those guys are crazy as sh*t house rats … but good for them just the same.

Congrats, Slow Rollin, if you’re catching fish. Since it turned into an online ego match, well, I couldn’t care less. (yawn)

Thanks for the compliment. Not trying to prove any type of point or make myself look great. Some people on the site wanted to see some pics for enjoyment. I would love to fish w/ those guys from ILL. Thats how i roll. I only know 1 other guy who rolls like that w/ me and we typically nail em when we are together. He wont leave the water, its doesnt matter if we havent seen a fish in 20hrs, just keep slow rollin.

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

I just wanted to chime in and say “Nice fish!”

haner

Quote:

I just wanted to chime in and say “Nice fish!”

Thanks, all were good releases, accept the 53 pictured in the net. Completely swallowed my cowgirl. My buddy said he had the same fish follow this year, its possible, but doubt it. Hopefully, but i dont know. It was bleeding, but water temp was 50 degrees when it happened, so maybe it lived.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Slow: A buddy of mine sent me a pic of a 53″ he caught on Tuesday. Since there can’t be more than one 53″ in Mille Lacs, I’d say it must be the same fish you released!

He also got a 40″ and a 46″ fishing Mon-Tues. The fish were not caught on double #10 bucktails, like everyone else was throwing, and at least the big one was not caught on the north end sand (not sure about the others). He said the fish were biting really well for some of the guides (one in particular had a 7 fish night while he was there), but that many others were struggling and people were generally tight lipped on tactics/locations … the only thing people were saying was “cowgirls on the sand” which is obvious from the “clank, clank” coming from every boat. Anyone can go get in line, I guess, but other baits/locations are working.

P.S. I hear black bucktails work well … when everyone is throwing them!

haner

Quote:

Slow: A buddy of mine sent me a pic of a 53″ he caught on Tuesday. Since there can’t be more than one 53″ in Mille Lacs, I’d say it must be the same fish you released!

He also got a 40″ and a 46″ fishing Mon-Tues. The fish were not caught on double #10 bucktails, like everyone else was throwing, and at least the big one was not caught on the north end sand (not sure about the others). He said the fish were biting really well for some of the guides (one in particular had a 7 fish night while he was there), but that many others were struggling and people were generally tight lipped on tactics/locations … the only thing people were saying was “cowgirls on the sand” which is obvious from the “clank, clank” coming from every boat. Anyone can go get in line, I guess, but other baits/locations are working.

P.S. I hear black bucktails work well … when everyone is throwing them!

Your a clown, go lay by your dish, get lost and that fish was not from Mille Lacs

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Your a clown, go lay by your dish, get lost and that fish was not from Mille Lacs

Guess they weren’t the same fish, then.

Derek Hanson

Ok, lets get some things straight. I’m Jay’s brother, who all of you know as “Slow Rollin.” He does talk big, but he’s actually telling the truth. Last year he had an incredible year, a year in which he may never have again, because he did catch 8 muskies over fifty inches last year. I am actually the one holding the fish in the picture (52 by 25) because Jay had the camera ready in the front of the boat and we didn’t want to waste any time getting her back and released. That was a legit measurement on the length and girth, a true monster caught in November. The one in the net (which I netted) was at least 53, probably 54, but again we did not want to waste anytime getting her back and released as we spent way too much time getting her unhooked(swallowed lure) already and the fish had been slightly bleeding. That one was caught in late October. The first chunky muskie picture (50.5) is him holding it but I was not along when he caught that one, which he caught in November. Two years ago, Jay (slow rollin) caught only one over 50 in., and that was a 52 incher. This year so far he has one over fifty, that he told me was 55 in. the day he caught it, and so he’s telling you guys 54 in., so if anything he’s telling you guys the fish are slightly smaller than what they were (and he did catch another mid forty inch fish the same day). Jay never lies to me about the fish he catches, there’s no need to. We tell each other exact information on a particular fishing outing, because we take fishing seriously and there is no tolerance for joking around. Personally, I’ve only caught one muskie over fifty inches, and that was a 51 incher caught last year in the fall. This is only my third year muskie fishing, so I hope to do a lot better in that category this year. I believe Jay (slow rollin) has 17 muskies so far this year and that is legit. Also, he did catch 7 muskies in that one weekend of fishing, which he caught 4 on Friday, 0 on Saturday, and 3 on Sunday. I personally have only caught 2 muskies this year and I’ve been out 1-2 times a week. I’ve lost 2 or 3 fish that I’ve hooked and that came unbuttoned, but thats fishing. Very frustrating, but you need to keep casting and keep a positive attitude. I am not here trying to brag about my brother’s success, but I’m the only one who personally knows him here and you guys seem to have made a big deal on here about his posts being false, etc., etc. We have some decent pictures, but it is tough sometimes taking good pictures of muskies and trying to get them released good. I would rather have a fish live and be released good, then risk killing a fish for a good picture. I caught a real fat 49 incher last year that I didnt get a picture of because I couldn’t remember where the camera was in the boat. That thought process only took a couple seconds to release the fish rather than finding the camera while the fish sits there. I am still mad I didn’t get a picture of it, but what are you going to do. I have since learned my lesson to know where the camera is at all times in case that happens again, but again that was one time. Also, I’m interested in a camera/tripod set-up for future muskie pictures for when I’m fishing by myself. Does anyone have any info. on that, like what brands are good, cost, where to get them, etc.?? Jay and I are fishing a metro lake tomorrow morning. Meeting him at his house at 2:30 a.m. (lol), so I better get to sleep soon. Good luck fishing to any of you going tomorrow.

Viewing 16 posts - 61 through 76 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.