Musky & Pike on the Fly

• jigs

My buddy and I have gotten into chasing some Musky and Pike on the fly over the last two years, I wanted to share a couple of pics of our experiences so far and see if anyone else has gotten into this activity so far. I have been lucky to have caught our two biggest fish so far with a 40″ musky and a 40″ pike. The pike was a spring spawned fish that was really beat up and skinny, but still a blast. Anyone out there given this a chance?

jigs

It’s a lot of fun. I really enjoy tying some flies on a cold winter night dreaming about spring. Speaking of, might have to do that tonight.

gary d
    cordova,il

Can’t wait heading up to Moose Lake,MN second week in June to give it a try. The northern are not all that big, but are a blast fly fishing for them.

troutbum
    St. Paul

Ive spent a handful of days chasing toothy critters on the fly the past two seasons with a buddy in northern wisco.
    There is something really addicting about swinging big flies for big fish.
    Here is the nicest so far, from last July.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

That looks like a blast! Love to fish for the tooothy guys!

scott-k
    Red Wing

I would like to tie some of my own pike flies…do you guys have any pics or recommendations on what kinds would be good to tie?

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I tied up a bunch of stuff and then the summer slipped by and I never really used any of it, except for some Pike fishing. I was using an Albright 9/10 weight with a 325 grain Scientific Anglers Streamer Express line. It was a lot of fun, I caught pike up to 32 inches with it. For patterns, do a Google search on “Brad Bohen Hang Time Fly”. This guy wrote the book on this kind of fishing and his flies look great. Lots of bucktail, flashabou, and saddle hackle.

Rootski

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.