Musky Hunter Magazine Article

• ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

If this frigid weather has you holed up inside and you’re wondering what to do… You could grab the latest Musky Hunter Magazine and check out my article titled “Hard Times”. It talks about changing your approach when you’re facing tough conditions. I talk about a few patterns and techniques that worked well in my boat during the tougher-than-normal 2013 season.

…Now that I think about it, I had an article in the Oct/Nov. issue of Musky Hunter as well. This one was about fishing secondary spots… So check both of them out!

p4walleye
    Rochester, MN

Congrats Ryan!!!

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

I just read “Hard Times” for the second time, it is a great read. It reminded me of my favorite saying- fishing doesn’t take patience, it takes thoughtful persistence.

When you are working shallow dawgs around thick weeds do you like to make contact with the weeds from time to time or do you try and run them clean mostly? Situational maybe?

ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

Contact with the weeds works in cabbage but stay poised and ready to pop/rip off the weeds. I like to pop the rod straight up in the air. I’ll also tune the dawgs so the head is sticking up up a little… this allows you to stear them through cabbage tips a little better.

Milfoil and junk weeds, curly leaf, etc… are another story. Coontail is usually down a little further this early in the year, but same story with that too. Tough to get your bait to come away clean when you bump into this stuff. But if you’re seeing a lot of fish and not getting bit… contact could be the answer.

Thanks for the kind words about the article

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.