Musky Xmas List?

• ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

Merry Christmas to all you Musky heads out there!

What is on everybody’s Xmas list this year from the big man?

To be honest, I haven’t really even thought of it yet. Plus my wife never gets me any fishing stuff… I will probably start collecting things around show season (after I clean up my gear and make it look like I don’t have that much)

I am pretty excited for the new Underdawgs (got to try them this past year and they’re pretty sick in late fall) and Shallow Dawg pounders from Musky Innovations. I’m also going to get my hands on a 9″ Fury from Custom X along with a one of the bigger Scuba’s from Big Game Tackle… Custom bucktails of course from Kramer Bros. and Musky Mayhem… The list goes on.

I’m also looking for a new cold-weather rain suit… Any suggestions?

Hope you all have a good Holiday Season,

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Quote:

What is on everybody’s Xmas list this year from the big man?

Hmmm, I am thinking a new Lee’s Chopper, a couple nice ghosttails, a replacement Super Shad rap in crawdad color, and a new IDO hat…

As far as cold weather gear, check out the Ice Armor, mine is nice with plenty of room to layer with the blue suit.

My buddy just picked up the Striker set from Thorne Bros, but no reviews on that until next year.

Merry Christmas.

jsprosty
    Soldiers Grove, WI

Down-east rod holders! Oh ya and everything on Ryan’s list

ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

That Stormr stuff looks interesting but I think I’d have to try that stuff on and see it in person first. Anybody have it on their shelves around town?

I’ve given the Stryker stuff a quick look too. Looks decent but I haven’t talked to anybody that wears it (who isn’t trying to sell it)

-Thanks for the recommendations though guys…

I saw a topwater mentioned too, that reminds me that I’m definitely going to be grabbing some Big Mama baits this year too. Had some luck on a couple of them last year… Plus Musky Buster is back. They have some great baits in their line up. I’ll be checking them out too.

danno34

couple hardheads

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

couple hardheads

Yup. Shhhhhhhh!

And my own 17oz 11″ jigging lures, just made 3 more.

Phil Bauerly
    Walker, MN - Leech Lake

Quote:

That Stormr stuff looks interesting but I think I’d have to try that stuff on and see it in person first. Anybody have it on their shelves around town?

I’ve given the Stryker stuff a quick look too. Looks decent but I haven’t talked to anybody that wears it (who isn’t trying to sell it)

I was kind of hoping you would pop on one and let me know how you like it I figure if the fisherman in the bearing sea and the north atlantic wear them they must be warm…comfortable I don’t know.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

Quote:

I saw a topwater mentioned too, that reminds me that I’m definitely going to be grabbing some Big Mama baits this year too. Had some luck on a couple of them last year… Plus Musky Buster is back. They have some great baits in their line up. I’ll be checking them out too.

Yes, I think I need a Tyrant Spinjack also…

I tried a Big Mama last year, and it just seemed heavy to throw very long.

keepcasting
    Excelsior

The Muskie Expo and the Thorne’s spring sales is when I do 75% of my muskie shopping for the year, so not much fishing related under the tree. I am going to plan on either building or buying a 9’H bucktail rod this year I think. I also am going to take a long look at adding a few new cranks baits this year. I think we sometimes forget how versitile a good crank can be.

Maybe I am in the minority, but for cold rain/wind etc, I am more of a layering kind of a guy. My outerlayer is a Cabela’s Guide Wear rain jacket that isn’t really insulated, but keeps me dry and the wind out. Under that they key for me is the Under Armor Cold Gear base layer and a neck gaiter if needed. I know not everybody likes the tight fit of Under Armor, but I love the stuff and it keeps me warm. A thermal longsleeve tee and hoodie on top of that and I am typically good to go down to around freezing. I have heard really good things about the Frabil FXE Stormsuits and would probalby consider them with the bibs for the outer layer if I was in the market.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

I bit the bullet and asked for the Frabill Snosuit bibs for Christmas. I hope to add the jacket in the near future. I’ve fished with Bob Bowman the past 3 Novembers on Vermilion and watched him wear the bibs and a hooded sweatshirt the entire week when I couldn’t find enough clothes to layer. I tried them on at the Ice Show and I believe they are wrapped under the tree now.

Not that I care for Walmart, but they have pretty good online prices for these.

ryan-mcmahon
    Twin Cities, MN

Yeah, I’ve been sort of leaning towards the Frabill grey suit… I almost always have to try stuff on. I can’t stand when something doesn’t fit just right. A lot of the big winter ice suits seem too bulky for casting musky baits but that Frabill seems to be alright in the armpit area…

I’ve heard decent things about the prop style Tyrant bait (I’m guessing its the spinjack) The Keyes Outdoors guys really like them. Never used one myself.

Mojo1269

I have the Stormr Typhoon Jacket. Used it all last fall. Its awesome. Things to know…They run big, you do not want to wear it if it is over 50 degrees, and it best served to wear loose fleece or some other puffy layer (as opposed to form fitting UA type stuff) under it to maximize warmth…

I fished in some sick stuff (rain, snow, wind sleet, a little hail this fall and never got remotely close to getting wet… I think you could get blasted bya firehouse for a week straight inthat thing and you would remain dry…

lhprop1
    Eagan

For the first time in a long time, I didn’t get any fishing gear at all for Christmas.

Really, all that’s on my wish list is to catch one stupid fish this 2014 season. I got blanked in 2013. Then again, I was only able to make it out 3 times for a few hours at a pop, so I can’t really expect to catch fish if I repeat that next year.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.