Do Tullibee Eat in the Fall???

• dan-larson
    Cedar, Min-E-So-Ta

Last year in early November I was up on Vermilion musky fishing with some fellas from this site. On the last day I had battery issues, and ended up sitting in Everett’s Bay with my boat at the access while the other guys ran up to the cabin to put some juice in my cranking battery. While we were sitting there, we noticed Tullibee were breaking the surface everywhere around us along shore. My question is, even though they are coming into spawn, are they still eating, i.e. can a person catch them without a net? I was thinking a glow ice jig with waxie under a bobber, any other ideas?

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

We saw this many times too. As a kid, I would catch them using a slip bobber with a weight on each side (for casting weight) and a fly w/ a grub or just plain 3-4′ behind.

Oh sure, a fly rod would have been easier, but kids make due with what they have.

scottie56005

I believe they even eat others eggs in the process while they spawn. I read some information on a certain Minnesota lake where that was the case. A fly rod would be the best approach short of netting them.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Dan:

We net them…

Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.