Eskimo cross over

• Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Thinking about purchasing one of these in December after I get a auger.Just want some reviews on it.
    Here’s the specs from cabelas
    http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=2077489&type=product&MDK=dynbanP_NW&MDC=cat104561280

Question is will it be portable enough to run and gun.I wanna get into this.I fish a lot with my dad to and he likes to find a community spot and stay on it.So would this be a good shelter for that or should I look at other ones I like that under 400 price range.If you have one to sell let me know looking for more of the flip up type tho

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Depends on what you consider run and gun. That’d slow me down compared to my one man with built in skis but I like to think I bring new meaning to the term run and gun when accompanied with a shack

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Light wind conditions I think you’d be fine. When she’s gusting up in the 30s and 40s I think you’ll have a hard time managing that house.

I can barely keep my frabill commando in position when it’s blowing 40 and I’m pushing 300#. Got to have wind blowing at the narrow side. Problem with the evo is all sides are big.

Staking down probably necessary when breezy

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

They do have stakes I just don’t think it’d be the best one amy suggestions

AaronMoore

I seen one in a store this past weekend, to me I don’t see the point of this item. Its not a run and for sure and its not a true hub. I’m not to sure what the true application is for this?? If you what a run and gun get a true flip over if you stay put get a hub. Thats my 2cents anyway

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

I think the reason was to get more fish able room.If you look at it there’s I think 30 sq feet of fish able area

wiel0059

I have to disagree Aaron, I think this shack fits a pretty cool niche personally. I have a one-man and a hub, use them both for very different applications.

However, the new Evo (after getting a chance to look at it at a retailer) fits a pretty cool middle-ground for a lot of anglers. Most guys I see on the ice don’t run and gun with their one-man shacks. I’m just being honest. If you do, this wouldn’t be for you. But, if you fish by yourself or with one other guy, like to move a decent amount but not a ton, this would be an awesome shack.

Its quicker than a hub for sure (I love my hub when I’m with larger groups, fishing cribs, etc.), and has more room than any one or two man I’ve seen. So again, if you fish by yourself a lot and don’t move much, this would be a great shack. Like FishBlood said, if you run and gun, a true one-man would be better. If I had a young kid or an older family member that I went with just us two a lot, I’d buy one of these no questions asked. The two-man has a ton of room, and would be perfect with a kid because its so much easier to set-up than a hub with a kid running around on the ice, but gives you a large foot print which is nice when fishing with a young kid who likes to move around.

Again, its not for everyone, but neither is a hub or a traditional one-man. These Evo’s fit a nice middle ground that I think will be great for a lot of anglers.

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

I do have the quick fish 1 but it’s only 9 feet of fish able area and I can’t stand up in it. So looking to upgrade for sure.Any suggestions on a good 2 man shelter for 400

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

I wanna run and gun but I wanna be able to find a spot and fish it with the same shelter.On those days when it’s blowing yes I’d love to sit in one spot crank some tunes and relax.But I fish a lot of back waters in the wabasha area and I think most guys do the run and gun

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

It’s a learning process. Expect your fishing style to change the more experience you have; expect the number if houses you own to increase too… Along with every other accessory “necessary”.

I started with a suitcase and hand auger. Have owned two different hubs and a one man. Id like to buy another one man for guests and a two man for guests too… But I ain’t here to cater to everyone either ;)

I agree, this house has filled a niche and although it’s not mine; there are a lot of different fishing styles.

I’m in my one man 98% of time and pretty much only using my hub for overnights. At 6’6″, I can easily accomplish everything I need in my one man; though I customized it quite a bit to fit my needs

sktrwx2200

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=435502

I got this shack ; only the high end thermal R2tec w/thinsulate.

I would part with it if you guys are interested. Its the biggest baddest one man shack out there. Tons of room. I got all the accessories on it already. Travel cover, hyfax, tow hitch, bait well, lighting system, rod holders…ect

Mint condition, smells new, no rips tears stains or burns.

From what you are describing, this might be a good fit for what your looking for.. One piece poles, up and down in a second. No clips or pinched fingers.

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

Great looking shack but little pricy for me

sktrwx2200

Didn’t even list a price yet. lol

AaronMoore

I have to disagree Aaron, I think this shack fits a pretty cool niche personally. I have a one-man and a hub, use them both for very different applications.

However, the new Evo (after getting a chance to look at it at a retailer) fits a pretty cool middle-ground for a lot of anglers. Most guys I see on the ice don’t run and gun with their one-man shacks. I’m just being honest. If you do, this wouldn’t be for you. But, if you fish by yourself or with one other guy, like to move a decent amount but not a ton, this would be an awesome shack.

Its quicker than a hub for sure (I love my hub when I’m with larger groups, fishing cribs, etc.), and has more room than any one or two man I’ve seen. So again, if you fish by yourself a lot and don’t move much, this would be a great shack. Like FishBlood said, if you run and gun, a true one-man would be better. If I had a young kid or an older family member that I went with just us two a lot, I’d buy one of these no questions asked. The two-man has a ton of room, and would be perfect with a kid because its so much easier to set-up than a hub with a kid running around on the ice, but gives you a large foot print which is nice when fishing with a young kid who likes to move around.

Again, its not for everyone, but neither is a hub or a traditional one-man. These Evo’s fit a nice middle ground that I think will be great for a lot of anglers.

I do know what you mean about run and gun, even when I have no hut and the weather is nice I dont move around too much if I’m honest. I have a hub and when I find a place I “set it and forget it” and if the bite is lite then I go for a little walk about and leave the hub set up. So I guess it does have a niche.

prospector
    Wyoming

Can you leave the hubs out and kick up the front of the shack to move it?

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

It probably be hard to move like that in the wind

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

Here is my YouTube video review of my first impressions of the new EVO2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lec_hy4g1I

FYI….YouTube rookie here, but hopefully I showed off some of the stuff the other vid’s don’t show. )

gonehunting

Has anyone sat in one of these yet? I sat in the EVO2 at Scheels the other night and though they brag about 30 ft of fishable space a lot of that space is wasted space in my mind. It seems also that you would be pretty limited on length of rod as the front of the shelter seems close to the seats once you sit down. Just my opinion but would be interested to know if anyone noticed the same.

Captainpaddlefoot
    Green Bay

Wgorby,
    Have you tried to load it up with your gear yet, rod case, tackle, heater, depthfinder camera, etc…?

I am very intrigued by this unit, especially the 84 pound deal.

Let me know what you think.

I love the side doors, no more having to squeeze by the heater and holes to step out.
    Thanks, Doug

pattyice

The Evo 1 was out at Gander a few weeks ago when I was shopping for flip overs. I went through it and was impressed by the idea and quality, but it needs refinement. There isn’t enough fishable room in front of the sled. You aren’t staring directly into the canvas as you look ahead from the seat, but there’s not as much room as I thought there would be. Putting stakes in the corner grommets of the front is almost a necessity. Without them, the front wall creeps in towards you. The set up time isn’t very long as there are only 2 hubs to pop out, but it takes a minute or two. For run and gun fishermen this may or may not be a deal-breaker. One big drawback of the shelter is the lack of tub space. The canvas and poles take up a lot of space when stowed away so accessing your gear when the Evo is not set up would be difficult.

Can you leave the hubs out and kick up the front of the shack to move it?

If you were dead-set against collapsing the shelter you might be able to get a hold on the strap on the outside of the top hub and lift on that as you pulled the Evo. My guess is that this method would be more difficult than collapsing it and unfolding it at the new spot.

Has anyone sat in one of these yet? I sat in the EVO2 at Scheels the other night and though they brag about 30 ft of fishable space a lot of that space is wasted space in my mind. It seems also that you would be pretty limited on length of rod as the front of the shelter seems close to the seats once you sit down. Just my opinion but would be interested to know if anyone noticed the same.

I got the same impression. There is a definite change in the shape of the space, but a lot of it is wasted space. There seems to be the most area in the corners of the hub where it is hard to fish. They could be spots for a deadstick, but not much else. The biggest rod that’s usually seen in a flipover is around 28″ and that is all that I’d take in an Evo.

Gabe Kuettner
    wabasha mn

I wish they would change the seating to the long way like the frabill 2110 that’s my personal advice to Eskimo

Josh Bothum

Here is my YouTube video review of my first impressions of the new EVO2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lec_hy4g1I

FYI….YouTube rookie here, but hopefully I showed off some of the stuff the other vid’s don’t show

Great video and review. Thanks

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

Wgorby,
    Have you tried to load it up with your gear yet, rod case, tackle, heater, depthfinder camera, etc…?
    I am very intrigued by this unit, especially the 84 pound deal.
    Let me know what you think.

I love the side doors, no more having to squeeze by the heater and holes to step out.
    Thanks, Doug

Yes…auger, tackle bag, heater, bucket etc. will fit fine if you intend to pull by hand…you will have to stack stuff on top of the shelter skin but it will work. I wouldn’t put a heater or a power auger in there if it has been running recently due to the fact it might melt the fabric. However….if you are intending on pulling this shanty behind a snowmobile or ATV and are intending on using the cover there will def. be less room for stuff…I have installed a Digger Auger Carrier on my snowmobile and will probably purchase a product called Saddle bag Bucket Carrier for my buckets…here is info on this product. http://www.northshoreoutfitters.com/

Side doors are def a plus, I also plan on my Marcum riding with me on snowmobile to reduce the possibility of it getting knocked around.

wgorby
    Greenville, Michigan

ALSO FYI….The instructions that come with the EVO2 there is a error….Figure8/Step 8 the picture shows the rear poles with the push buttons facing out, this is wrong….the push buttons must face in towards the tub in order for the Pole Frame to attach and work properly. Just a heads up so you don’t have to do things twice. )

prospector
    Wyoming

Ordered an Evo 1 tonight for $279 shipped. Can’t wait. Thanks for all of the guys that have given input on it.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.