battery post covers

• uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

Anything new in battery post covers? any pics or links? Whats legal and whats not?

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I got a ticket in Milwaukee because the sherrif could bend over, stick his head into my back compartment and see the lead of the posts at about a 15 degree angle to the battery. Coast Guard and Game warden both said the Posts are covered and the terminals are protected, so it was legal. WI requires both the + and – to be covered. Varies from state to state.

uncle-glen-1
    LaCrosse, Wi

Ouch! why wasn’t he chasing drug dealers? I definetly need to update my covers.

flatfish
    Rochester, MN

So you suppose one is just better off with battery boxes and covers?

What MN have on this?

redrnger

I took a bikes innertube, split it inhalf, cut down the middle.Fit it around the battery so the ends meet in the top middle of the battery.I then joined the 2 ends with S hooks. Both terminales are completely covered and when the tube is cut it’s 4″ wide so it covers everything.Checked by game warden and he said said it was a cool idea,no problem.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Quote:

I took a bikes innertube, split it inhalf, cut down the middle.Fit it around the battery so the ends meet in the top middle of the battery.I then joined the 2 ends with S hooks. Both terminales are completely covered and when the tube is cut it’s 4″ wide so it covers everything.Checked by game warden and he said said it was a cool idea,no problem.

I’d like to see a pic of that

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Am I to understand that it is not legal to just have the batteries in the black battery boxes?

Thanks for any clarification.

FDR

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

Am I to understand that it is not legal to just have the batteries in the black battery boxes?

FDR

The black box would need to have the cover strapped on. Box only is illegal.

-J

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

Quote:

FDR

The black box would need to have the cover strapped on. Box only is illegal.

-J

Thanks Jon.

FDR

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I thought that was only the case in WI. If not, I have some upgrading to do

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

All Minnesota border waters.

-J.

mojogunter

I guess I am only non-compliant on 4 of my 4 batteries. This is the first I have ever heard of this law. I could understand the law if the batteries were not strapped down, but if they are strapped in where are they going to go to create an electrical fire?

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Quote:

I guess I am only non-compliant on 4 of my 4 batteries. This is the first I have ever heard of this law. I could understand the law if the batteries were not strapped down, but if they are strapped in where are they going to go to create an electrical fire?

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

You DO NOT want to have that discussion on the water….

-J.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Can we get a pic of that innertube idea??? How tight is it? Don’t the S-hooks just tear through the rubber, or isn’t it that tight?

I apparently need to cover mine, and I’ve got an old bike innertube in the garage

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-J.

You DO NOT want to have that discussion on the water….

-J.

X2. I’ve had it and you end up back at the dock no matter how much sense you make.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Well, I messed around a bit with the inner tube idea and came up with something. I had visions of using grommets to make it more durable, but due to the elasticity of the rubber, they wouldn’t stay in. This should work, though.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Looks good but I have to wonder how long the rubber will last before it tears by the joints.

I wonder if overlapping the ends, folding them over together and then clamping them together somehow might be a little longer lasting.

mojogunter

You could maybe buy an innertube from a smaller bike wheel maybe a 12″, or 14″ and that would stretch around it without having to be tied.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

You could just pick up some battery boxes. They cost a couple of bucks and mine are going strong after 10 years. I think that was the intent of the reg. That way you can easily strap them down so if your boat rolls over they won’t fall out.

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

I use just the tops of the battery boxes on my boat.

They are held down with a bungee cord. The battery itself is strapped down, then I bungee cord the box top over everything.

Wisconsin regulations state that batteries must be strapped down. That’s regardless of whether or not they are in a box.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

Looks good but I have to wonder how long the rubber will last before it tears by the joints.

I wonder if overlapping the ends, folding them over together and then clamping them together somehow might be a little longer lasting.

That was my intent with the grommets, but that idea failed. The rubber is doubled over, and I punched as small of holes as possible. They aren’t tearing yet–we’ll see how they hold up.

I like the idea of a smaller inner tube. That would probably work out great if you can find one to fit. Just like a big rubber band!

I really don’t have a lot of room for battery boxes. The compartment is really tight as is. The batteries are strapped down, though.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

You could just pick up some battery boxes.

…and you could fish with graphite rods…but you don’t

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I kind of figured that after I posted.

PS I love graphite rods. I must have a dozen of them. I just learned the hard way they are not for Lake Mendota channel cats. You might get away with it for a while but then a big one would take you in the weeds. They will just take you there like a bulldogging salmon and give you the choice of cutting your line or trying to horse them out. Go medium heavy or go home.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Wonder if duct tape would work?
    For the batteries, not rods..:)

Al

mojogunter

That is a good question. It would seem that it would stop something from shorting out, unless it was heavy enough to tear through the tape. If that were legal it would be a simple fix for those boats that were rigged in MN or a different state where such a goofy law doesn’t exist.

Quote:

Wonder if duct tape would work?
    For the batteries, not rods..:)

Al

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.