Minn Kota vs Motorguide mounting

• flyingfish
    St. Cloud, MN

I plan on switching from a motorguide to a minn kota. Would the hole pattern for mounting the new motor be similar to the old pattern? Will I have to drill all new holes in my boat?

My current motor is 1999 50″ 67lb 24V. Anybody have any ideas on what its worth? It works good, but I want to switch to a 62″ shaft to compensate for bigger waves.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Unless something changed recently, the hole patterns are different.

If you are going to a Powerdrive or Auto Pilot, you can get a mounting plate that will cover the old MG holes and allow you to remove the motor whenever you want.

J.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Adam,

Jon is right about the holes not being the same. I did the same thing you are doing a couple years ago and ran into the same problem. I had the same problem when I went from Pinpoint to Minn Kota as well. We could not be so lucky?
    It would nice for every mfg to conform to a foot print that would be industry standard.

They are several things you can do to coer up old holes..some silicone over the holes, grommets, some put a new t-motor mounting plate (like Jon mentioned)on there to cover the old holes up, or Frankie’s marine has a fiberglass repair guy that does excellent work for very reasonable rates. A friend of mine has his Ranger done this way and you cannot tell where those old holes were. I am considering swapping my kicker motor from one side of my boat to the other. I will have this gentleman repair the Panther bracket bolt holes when I do this. Have not fully decided yet?

flyingfish
    St. Cloud, MN

Thanks for the info. I figured l’d have to do some drilling.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.