St.Croix EYECON and Suffix 832

• Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Yesterday while BK and I were out for a short time on Pool 4 we were fortunate enough to be the first to test drive a new St. Croix EYECON courtesy of Dean at Everts Resort . The EYECON was equipped with a Pflueger Arbor reel garnished with some Suffix 832 Advanced Superline. Pitching was on my agenda for the day but only after a very short time of pitching the wind had become uncastable and we had to resort to other means of fishing.

I found the EYECON to be very light weight and balanced quite well with the Arbor. For the short time I was able to pitch with the rod ( I had to share with BK ) I found myself liking the feel of the rod with a blade bait. The sensitivity was good as I was able to feel every flutter of the 1/8th oz. blade and could easily feel the bottom while pitching. I found the Suffix 832 very castable and extremely smooth, I was really quite impressed with this braided superline. So far I have nothing but good to say about these 2 items I just wish the wind had’nt come up so strong on us as I really wanted to get into a good fish with the new rod and test it’s back bone, thats one of the great things about fishing, theres always next time

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Whatever Jesse said above.

All I know is that I could feel the blade (which was a ‘ell of a lot smaller than a 4 oz sinker and a bullhead) touch bottom in sand and the dang rod was as light as a feather with the reel on!

I was expecting to hear the EXT-REAM St Croix price and was surprised when I saw the sticker.

Even in the bait shop I could see the advantages to these rods for even the not so hard core walleye angler.

From this catfish guy.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Out of curiosity, what is the price range of the new eye con rods?

Thanks,

FDR

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Most are $109.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Where are these rods made?
    I use st croix rods now and pay the price for them as they are made here,I have heard runors of import

Dean Marshall

Quote:

Where are these rods made?
    I use st croix rods now and pay the price for them as they are made here,I have heard runors of import

No rumors at all…the eyecons are built in Mexico at St Croixs second facility.Park Falls is maxed out production wise,and continues to produce the majority of the product line there.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

They are on my list of what not to buy, right with Polaris.
    I bet next year youll be paying as much as a american made product.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Quote:

Ah yes that seems to be the theme now days. But in the big picture of things, the the guy with the store, like Dean, have a competitve product to sell and keep the doors open

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Such is life in a Global Economy. We have two options, adapt and succeed or stay the course and fail.

MIKGILLIE
    Owatonna,MN.

Quote:

Quote:

Such is life in a Global Economy. We have two options, adapt and succeed or stay the course and fail.

Choice #1 adapt and lead the american way,stay the coarse import and cut the middle class jobs like the last ten yrs.

KirtH
    Lakeville

Back to the topic, I want to get down there test drive one

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Back to the topic, I want to get down there test drive one

Heck yeah, I clearly don’t have enough rods in my rod locker!

happycampin
    New Richmond, WI

I see a Merry Christmas to me in the near future!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You guys check this rod out and tell me if your eyes don’t light up! (pun intended )

Dean’s 2012 Presidential Campaign Slogan reads:

“Two Rods (or more)in Every Rod Locker”.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

You guys check this rod out and tell me if your eyes don’t light up! (pun intended )

Dean’s 2012 Presidential Campaign Slogan reads:
    To be honest with you guys I’ve got two Mojo 6’8″mxf and two Mojo 6’9″ mlxf rods that we’ve been using for pitching and light cranks and they’re great rods. They’re nice for draggin jigs also. So if these Eyecons are more sensitive then the Mastercard is gonna get a work-out.
    Dean how many dozen of Kay’s choc.chip cookies for an Eyecon !! Just kiddin

“Two Rods (or more)in Every Rod Locker”.

Dean Marshall

We can work sumthin out Glen…..I hear Kay makes a good cookie ! The politicians really missed out on a great campaign strategy.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Post deleted by Jesse Krook

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Was the Eyecon made with a specific job in min? Pitching blades, jigging, etc?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Uncle Kirt?

Have you test drove one yet?

KirtH
    Lakeville

Not yet, I need to, I tried out the Arbor and the new Suffix on a Xtreme this past weekend.

chuckles
    Manchester, Iowa

The new rods are the walleye equivalent of the Mojo bass rods only in walleye actions. The Mojo and Eyecons are St. Croixs price point rods to compete for the around $100 imports so many other rod companies out there produce. They are built on SC2 blanks I believe and are built on blanks made in Park Falls the last I had heard. They should be a good answer for folks who desire a great quality rod at a less expensive price point than the upper grade rods in the St. Croix lineup. Try them out. You might like them!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.