Spinning Reels?

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Been working on repairing a couple of spinning reels tonight. This got me thinking what makes a good spinning reel. There are some many out there and so many that are similar. I know for a lot of people its cost that drives the purchase. For others there is a little more to it.

What is it that you like in a spinning reel?

Surf-N-Turf
    Stevens Point, WI

Shimano Spirex w/trigger bail and rear drag and the cost.
    Gregory

a.j.-wiesner
    Ely,MN / Rochester,MN

i like lite weight and good drag. for the price the shimano’s i think have the best bang for your buck. get a sedonia or sahara for $50 or less

norseman
    FAIRMONT MN

I like the smoothness of the 10 ballbearing Pflueger 6730 and 6735 President reels.Bail springs are crisp and very durable.For under $60 these are a bargain!

dswietek

Also use Spirex. I like the double paddle handle and quick-fire trigger. Very smooth reel for the price.

WAT
    AUSTIN MN Cass Lake

Shimano stradic is hard to beat.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I like a T handle. They are easy to find and grip. A smooth drag is a must. Require very little maintenance. Light weight is great but Im going to spend a little more time playing around with how difference weight reels balance on the rods Im using this year. Guess as Im getting older my wrists are telling me to do this.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Hi, Mike. Drag, lightweight, etc. are all important to me. I feel like there are a lot of reels that have that. I really like spinning reels that cast a long way, too. I’m going to try a Pflueger Arbor to see how they work. I have a couple of Stradic MgF’s that are awesome with fireline — they cast a mile. But the spools are really, really shallow. I’m hoping the arbor gives me the casting distance with a little more line capacity. In my mind it makes a big difference for the type of fishing we do.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Diawa Capricorns used to have a larger shallow spool that would cast a mile. This worked almost to good as I would miss fire them a lot more than any other reel I had. The larger spool was also supposed to help prevent line twist which I think it did.

You know casting those jigs way out there gives you less feel and control over them and ends up with more lost jigs. The farther out a jig is it seems the less likely I can get it un stuck to. Whats a guy to do when you know there must be a fish way out there.

Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Balance,drag,an xtra spool,smoothness,and line management,ie cold weather performance of the reel and line memory are my main considerations.Finally, price and service are the final factors I consider.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

So what do you recommend Dean for a decent mid priced and higher end pitching reel. I know you get to see and test out a lot more reels than most of us.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Mike, give the Pfluger President a try. Nice reel for the money!

-J.

Dean Marshall

Mike,the Arbor has been a flawless performer for myself this year.My first test was how did it balance on my rods.The second was casting 1/8th oz jigs with live-bait in the wind without flinging off the bait.Thirdly,the xtra spool amd mono memory in below freezing temps.And I finally got to put it to the test landing big eyes recently to give everyone a thumbs up on the drag system.

I have a few bass guys trying them with florocarbon line and getting great feedback on that application as well.

They are available for anyone to demo and price out at $79.

The high end Shimano Mgs are fantastic reels,but at the mid $100 mark,they are beyond alot of anglers budgets.

ottomatica
    Lino Lakes, MN

I look for durability. I think Spinning reels are an inherantly poor mechanical design. Most of them break really easy. That’s why I like Daiwa’s HardBodyz reels. They are built like a tank, very smooth, very tight and very affordable. I would put them up against any Shimano.

Whiskerkev
    Madison

I absolutely hate it when the new reel doesn’t come with an extra spool.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

What size Arbor reels are you using? Was just looking at them this morning. The only size Cabelas had looked a little big. Unique looking reels.

John Shear
    Chippewa Falls, WI

Does nobody care about an effective folding handle anymore? Since I got a boat with a nice rod locker, I’ve been frustrated that my Daiwa and Pflueger reels’ handles don’t lock in a folded position, thus causing an organizational hassle. Shimano does a better job with that.
    All the Daiwa reels I have had develop play in the gears before too long. Again, Shimano does a much better job with that, and the Pfluegers have stayed tight.
    I have some Bass Pro and Cabelas reels and don’t like any of those.
    I have several Shimano Sahara reels now and haven’t had any complaints with those yet. So that’s what I keep buying until I find a reason not to.

John

Dean Marshall

Quote:

Does nobody care about an effective folding handle anymore?

I do….and I sure miss the old white Stradics with the push button folding handle.

Mike, the 7430 is the size I use,also have the 7440 in stock for you to demo if interested.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’m stuck on Shimanos and not even willing to take a chance with anything else. I still have the first one I bought in 1988 and its not broken. I have never broke one. I know there’s other good reels out there but I’ll likely never own one of them.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Thanks Dean. Had someone take those Presidents out of my boat about three weeks ago.

I hate guiding with a mixed set of reels. No mater what rod my clients grab for pitching I want them the same. Rod, reel, line all the same. Rite now I have a couple of the Presidents left and a few Sahara’s. They actually match up pretty well.

The Saharas are the ones I was having problems with a seal breaking and binding up the reel. Maybe this is why they had a bunch on clearance a few years back to get ride of the bad ones.

Jira

I’ve had the same problem with that seal on other Shimanos. Looking it over I’m not sure what it’s sealing in the first place. I have just removed it and reels have been 100% since then.

AllenW
    Mpls, MN

Tend to look at how the drag feels first, then how it funtions at the store, then how it feels on the rod.
    Balance, casting, how the bail opens and closes, etc.

All that works out, I’ll buy that model.

I tend to spend as much or more money on reels than rods, and have been happy with the shimamo lines, usually $100 or more range.

I have two Presidents and they seem to work well for me also.
    But I tend to lean towards the Shimano’s when looking, same now with bait casters, used to like the 65-6600 series Garcia’s, but now have a couple Carda’s and I think they may be a better reel than the older Garcia’s.

After trying to get the best drag I can, it boils down to feel, if reel is easy to use and feels like all the controls are where they should be, I’ll take a chance and buy it, hopefully quaility is such that it lasts long enough to get my moneys worth out of it.

Al

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Quote:

I’ve had the same problem with that seal on other Shimanos. Looking it over I’m not sure what it’s sealing in the first place. I have just removed it and reels have been 100% since then.

I replaced those seals with a o ring out of the kit in my plumbing van and they seem to be working well again. Im sure you could find the same thing at the local hardware store.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

I have yet to try a Pfleugger because they’re heavy for their size and priced slightly higher than a similar Shimano. At least IMO.

All I use right now is Shimano and I have yet to have any trouble at all. I fish up to 150 days a year (200-250 before the daughter was born) and my Shimanos have yet to even be broken down and cleaned.

That’s my winter project.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Mike,

I’ve had the exact same problem with that seal on a couple of my reels. It’s an easy fix, but a stupid design.

I ended up getting a Pflueger Trion for $40 or so a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to get the reel, so my plan to buy an Arbor from Dean fell through. In any case, the reel seems solid but I absolutely hate that stupid little bean of a wooden handle. I can’t believe they think that thing is a good idea. Yuk. Otherwise, so far so good.

Seal problem or no seal problem, I like Shimanos. Saharas are solid reels at decent prices, and if you are going to buy a set of them for your boat/clients I bet you could get a deal on 6+.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

In general:

Shimano’s have the largest of gears and largest of anti-reverse bearings.

Diawa’s have the smoothest of gears and shallow ABS spool design.

Quantum’s have the strongest of bail flip and quickest of bail close speed.

Pfleuger have the best value in features for price point.

red89
    Hudson

I think my sahara might have started to bind up like you guys are talking about. I have had it for five years with no problems, but now the handle seems to get sticky sometimes. Can someone tell me where that seal is?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The rubber seal is inside of the rotor assembly, but on the reel frame.

CaptRickHiott
    Charleston,SC

Its hard to beat the Pflueger reels. Ive been using them on my charters for about nine years with no problems.

They even have combos for the ladies.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.