Trolling lines?

• b-j-r
    Pool 4

I’m looking for some input on what line(s) to try running this year on my 8’6″ outside rods. Last year I used fireline, but am thinking about switching to a mono this year. I lost a couple nice fish last year with the fireline and am hoping the mono would help absorb some of the headshakes. Maybe just a mono leader? These are new rods, so maybe being over 8′ that will help too. I will probably run planer boards with these sometimes too so the line will need to handle those as well. Thanks

stuart
    Mn.

I run 20lb fireline stealth on my 8’6′ planer board rods and am very happy with it.

mnwalleyeangler

I run 10 lb fireline on my outside trolling rods and dont have many issues with losing fish. i run a 25 ft 8 lb flourocarbon leader even though it doesnt need to be flourocarbon on the river.also when i troll the wingdams in presscot i dont use a leader at all and miss only a few if any every outing. was last year your first year trolling??? i have been trolling for about 4 years now and here are some things ive learned about it. DONT SET THE HOOK IS THE FIRST THING learned that the hard way at mille lacs trollin the basin losing fish after fish. i learned to just pick the rod up and just slowly sweep it to the posistion you want it at to fight the fish. another thing is zig-zag with the boat which will stall your outside board and once it tightens back up alot of times thats when a fish will hit. also go with the lightest line you can get away with. it will get your baits down deeper withount having to put out 200 feet of line. with this being more key in the summer when fish normaly die if you pull them in with alot of line out to get to the strike zone in 40 ft of water.LESS FIGHT TIME and they can be back before they know they were even hooked.. KEEP YOUR LINES TIGHT,RODS BENDING,NETS IN THE WATER,AND HAVE A GOOD TROLLING SEASON…let me know if you need any more help

millelacseye51

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

I run Power Pro on my 9′ M rods and Mono on my 6’6″ MH rods. Was using Power Pro on the short ones but had too any tear threws.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Spiderwire Stealth 20# and make sure to use a light drag with clicker so when the fish strikes it absorbs the impact and lets line out due to the non stretch properties. This line uses the same depth charts as 14/6 Fireline in the Precision Trolling Book.

hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

I have used 14/6 fireline for about 6 years now on all my trolling rods. The main thing to keep in mind is you do not have to set the hook,the fish hook set themselves most of the time. slowly sweep rod to position you want to fight the fish and reel slow and steady without pumping rod while fighting the fish. I also change my planer boards releases from the standard black to red releases to use with the fireline?

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Spiderwire Stealth 20# and make sure to use a light drag with clicker so when the fish strikes it absorbs the impact and lets line out due to the non stretch properties. This line uses the same depth charts as 14/6 Fireline in the Precision Trolling Book.

The Spiderwire Stealth I believe is a 20/6, so how does it use the same depth charts as the Fireline in the Precision Trolling book? The Fireline in the PT book is 10/4.

Do you know the diameters of each?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

so how does it use the same depth charts as the Fireline in the Precision Trolling book? The Fireline in the PT book is 10/4.

In the last two volumes of the Presision Trolling book there is a page with a reference chart showing other diameters compared to 10/4 Fireline. It includes 14/6 fireline which is the same diameter as 20/6 Stealth. The 14/6 or 20/6 Stealth only runs 1-2 feet less at most than 10/4 fireline according to the chart.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Quote:

I used Spiderwire Stealth #20 on two of my Diawa Line counters,and used Fireline Crystal #20 on two others. It was easier to let out the fireline than the spiderwire, the spiderwire seemed to double over itself more.I was constantly pulling the spiderwire out by hand.

I’ve trolled spring, summer, and fall for the last 5 years with spiderwire stealth and have equal or more experience with fireline. Never had the problems you mention unless the reel is not spooled tight enough and then there can be a soft spool which will allow the line to bite into the spool causing tangles.

311hemi
    Dayton, MN

Quote:

Quote:

so how does it use the same depth charts as the Fireline in the Precision Trolling book? The Fireline in the PT book is 10/4.

In the last two volumes of the Presision Trolling book there is a page with a reference chart showing other diameters compared to 10/4 Fireline. It includes 14/6 fireline which is the same diameter as 20/6 Stealth. The 14/6 or 20/6 Stealth only runs 1-2 feet less at most than 10/4 fireline according to the chart.

Right. I guess I thought you meant the dive curves were the same, not the depth adjustment on that table. The dive curves (I said chart before) for 14/6 is not the same as the 10/4 as far as the dive curves go…..it runs 1-2 feet less. Maybe it’s a bigger deal to me because I mainly lures where the difference between the mono and fireline curves is less than 1-2 ft (mainly #5 and #7 shads raps).

I run 20/6 Power Pro and know that my dive curve falls in between the mono and fireline curves.

BTW, that table is based of numeric formulas and may not be all that accurate depending on the lure. Not sure if 1-2′ makes a huge difference in 15 FOW?

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

You are correct the depth chart are reflecting depths for 10# mono and 10/4 fireline but the reference charts shows the difference for running other diameters. I am almost always chasing walleyes and they feed up and seldom feed down so I would rather have them running a little higher than lower so it works well for me. I run it to the 10/4 amount of line out and then give it a few extra feet to compensate for the 1-2 feed difference in the lines. It sure is nice having the stronger 20# line when a nice pike or big Musky hit the crank.

coot
    North Central Wisconsin

I’ve been using 10 lb. XT for years both with boards and flatlining, cranks and harnesses. No issues, no reason to switch to something different.

John Schultz
    Inactive
    Portage, WI

I run 12 lb. Trilene big game for my board rods as it has the same line diameter as 10 lb. mono so the dive curves are the same. On my long line rods I run 20# spiderwire stealth. I’ve been happy with both.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.