Prop Selection for Alumicraft Navigator/Yami 90

• GuyJohnson

I need some expert advice. A purchased an 08 Navigator 165 CS with a Yamaha 90 4 Stroke. The prop it came with is a 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum. What would you guys recommend for a prop? I also have a question about transom savers. I used one on my previous boat. I have been told by dealers that a transom saver is not necessary anymore because the transoms on the newer boats are stronger than in the past. It is a 2 to 3 hour drive to most areas I fish, should I use one?

Thanks!

sliderfishn
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I also have a question about transom savers. I used one on my previous boat. I have been told by dealers that a transom saver is not necessary anymore because the transoms on the newer boats are stronger than in the past. It is a 2 to 3 hour drive to most areas I fish, should I use one?

Yes the newer transoms are stronger than ones from years past. With that said I look at it this way, a transom saver is cheap insurance.
    I use one almost every trip, even on the shortest trips.
    Sorry that I can’t help you with your prop question.

Ron

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I’m with Slider on the Cheap insurance. I would also consider the roads you travel the most.

FDR

JasonP
    Twin Cities

whatever you choose congrats on the new boat…sounds like a nice one.

JP

propmann
    Brainerd MN

Quote:

I need some expert advice. A purchased an 08 Navigator 165 CS with a Yamaha 90 4 Stroke. The prop it came with is a 19 pitch 3 blade aluminum. What would you guys recommend for a prop?

I would put Powertech RAF 17 pitch stainless prop on that setup. That prop has lots of cupping and rake so it will give you great holeshot, bowlift, handling and will be faster than the 13 x19 aluminum prop that it came with. That prop is one the the best props out there on the market for setup we tested alot of different props on the 90 yamahas.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.