Idleing down to trolling speed- motor kills

• jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

hey guys… I have had this issue for a while (at least since last year). I don’t troll too often, but the last several time I have tried, my motor runs rough (kind of sounds like a Harley at idle…only not as loud )And then will kill every couple minutes. I have used new fuel, changed the plugs, put Stabil in the fuel, and checked the fuel filter(it appears clean… the filter is bright white and the plastic is clear). it runs great other wise… starts right off, top end is good, even slow cruise speed is good. It just happens when I idle, in gear or out of gear. Any suggestions?
    It is a 50 HP Merc 2 stroke tiller.

Thanks in advance!

Labman

Bob Bowman
    MN

My guess would be that its the low end jet on the carb.
    I had the exact same thing with my kicker and she runs like a top now

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

hey guys… I have had this issue for a while (at least since last year). I don’t troll too often, but the last several time I have tried, my motor runs rough (kind of sounds like a Harley at idle…only not as loud )And then will kill every couple minutes. I have used new fuel, changed the plugs, put Stabil in the fuel, and checked the fuel filter(it appears clean… the filter is bright white and the plastic is clear). it runs great other wise… starts right off, top end is good, even slow cruise speed is good. It just happens when I idle, in gear or out of gear. Any suggestions?

It is a 50 HP Merc 2 stroke tiller.

Thanks in advance!

Labman

On my Yamaha 115 I fought that exact same problem. It was a clogged idler circuit. Your symptoms seems to be exactly what I had with mine.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

My 99 15hp Evin 4strk did same thing. I used heavy dose of seafoam in fuel and it cleared up. My mechanic buddy also had me disconnect the gas line and run it dry after every use. That was several years ago and have not had a problem since. Stabil will stabilize fuel but seafoam stabilizes and is a fuel cleaner so it helps dissolve gum and carbon deposits. It goes in every gallon of gas run thru my main motor and kicker now.

Mwal

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

If the above things don’t clear up the problem then check the thermostat as it may not be getting warm enough so it keeps the motor running cold. Run it wide open for 5 minutes when it does that to see if it will temporaily fix the problem. That also might tell you if it is that part.
    Thanks, Bill

jwmii
    La Crosse, Wi

Thanks for the reply’s guys. I just had it out after I posted and it did the same thing. It almost seems to be better at first start up (engine cold). Ruger, what did you do to fix your issue? I am going to begin with Seafoam and then go from there.

highpockets
    faribault

I think you answered yor own question when told us it was a merc.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the reply’s guys. I just had it out after I posted and it did the same thing. It almost seems to be better at first start up (engine cold). Ruger, what did you do to fix your issue? I am going to begin with Seafoam and then go from there.

Paid a guy who knows what he’s doing to remove and properly clean the idler circuit. He also made some fine tuning adjustments. It runs better now than it ever has.

Mike Klein
    Hastings, MN

Clean the carb it is the crappy corn fuel we use these days. After you clean the carb buy only NON OXYGENATED Fuel. you may have to look for it. It has no ethenol and will make your motor run better anyway.

standaniel
    Bloomington

My 20 HP Evin was doing the same thing last year. Took it into Dan’s Marine in Bloomington, cost $100.00, in and out in a day, runs fine.
    Swede

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.