GPS puck mounting

• Keith
    NE Iowa

I am rigging a new boat, and this is the first unit I’ve had with an external antenna. I would like to mount the puck under the windshield (at the console) so it is near the unit. Will I have any problems with reception if I do this.
    Thanks
    Keith

mkrakau
    Waukee, IA

I would recommend mounting it somewhere else. Mine is under the windshield and I have problems picking up a signal when the windshield has any moisture on it.

-Mark Krakau

walleyeeddie
    Brainerd, MN

Assuming your unit is a Lowrance,they recomend that the antema has an un obstructed view to the sky. It also needs a switched power supply to power the antenna. I mounted mine in the stern of the boat and it works very well.

outdoor_guy
    Norway,Michigan (In DA UP)

I had mine under the windshield and had reception issues.
    I was able to move it out to the gunnell by losening the windshield mounting up and slipping the cord under at a seam in the aluminum with MUCH better results.

Keith
    NE Iowa

Sorry I should have stated its a Lowrance LCX-28C HD. It is going to be a bear to install it any where else beside the console (the way my boat is setup), but I want it to work well. Thanks for the replies

nic-habeck
    Lake Mills, WI

Have heard this but have not tried myself, sounds like it would work:

When trying to find the best location, get some velco from your local hardware store and attach it to the Puck and get enough of the opposite velcro to stick to different places on your boat. The velcro will allow you to try it in multiple places on your few first trips without it moving, similar to if it would be hard mounted. When you find a spot you can live with time to do some drilling.

I would go with completely unobstructed for best accuracy.

Tight Lines.

nick
    Lakeville, MN

If I did mine again I mount it flat somewhere on the back of the boat, pull the wires through the hull is a bit of a pain sometimes, but IMHO it’s the best and cleanest install.

I’ve heard people claim to put them under the deck od fiberglass boats in the back, and claimed no issues, doesn’t sound realistic to me, but I think I’d try it out myself.

bclii
    MN/AZ

Mount it near the aft,close to the transducer as possible and free and clear of any obstruction.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

Have heard this but have not tried myself, sounds like it would work:

When trying to find the best location, get some velco from your local hardware store and attach it to the Puck and get enough of the opposite velcro to stick to different places on your boat. The velcro will allow you to try it in multiple places on your few first trips without it moving, similar to if it would be hard mounted. When you find a spot you can live with time to do some drilling.

I would go with completely unobstructed for best accuracy.

Tight Lines.

Velcro it!

smithkeith
    Waterloo, Iowa

When the dealer set my boat up they used this mount and I love it. If you are interested it one, call LaCannes Marine in Faribault, MN.

Keith
    NE Iowa

Thanks for the tips

Rich4Walleyes

Remember that Lowrance also says to have the GPS puck at least 3 feet away from the locator.

Keith
    NE Iowa

Someone else mentioned that to me. But I didn’t see it in the installation instructions. Why does it have to be 3′ away?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.