Where can I find rubber coated chain?

• Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I need to buy a piece to attach to my anchor.I know I saw it somewhere but cant remember where.Fleetfarm?

18fisher
    Hastings,MN

Cabelas has it for sure

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Thanks,I was just in there the other day and didnt see it.Ill have to look a little harder next time.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Our farm and fleet carry it in large rolls. You can cut what you need.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I’ve never found it at Cabela’s…and I’ve asked. Also had no luck at Sportsman’s Warehouse, Gander Mountain, or Northern Tool. I ended up with uncoated galvanized chain because I needed a chain and couldn’t find coated. I plan on running it through a bike innertube this year.

jhalfen

I’m fairly certain that you can get rubber coated chain (as well as rope and quality river anchors) at my favorite walleye pro-shop: Everts Resort.

Call Dean to make sure….715-792-2333.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

I’m fairly certain that you can get rubber coated chain (as well as rope and quality river anchors) at my favorite walleye pro-shop: Everts Resort.

Call Dean to make sure….715-792-2333.

Last fall I asked Dean to start stocking the rubber coated chain because it was so easy on the boat…sounded like he just ordered it some this morning!

Shoot him a pm or give him a ring to ensure I did hear him correctly.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I stoped at Cabelas in Rogers again and they still dont have any Ill give Dean a call in a day or 2 to see if he is getting any in.Might be a good reason to drag the boat down to RW for a day or so Thanks

brada

I purchased all of mine at Cabela’s in Owatonna.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Another option that works well is to run your chain through a rubber garden hose that is cut to length.

-J.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I could also order it off of Cabelas website but that trip to RW sounds better I thought about wrapping it or using a hose but I want it more flexible and easier to stow and also avoid any rust bleeding out on the carpet.Also if Dean gets a spool I can buy any length I want although I think somewhere between 4-5 foot shoud do.Im also going to upgrade to a coated anchor to avoid rust spots in the boat.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

Something I found to keep rust off the carpet is a frisbee.

The kind you toss around. Just set it on the deck and put the anchor on it to dry. I leave mine there but I know some guys store theirs below deck after they dry.

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

You can also cut off the botton 1.5 to 2 inches off a 5 gallon bucket. The lip on the bottom will keep it from sliding. Cheaper than a frisbee too!

-J.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

How are you guys connecting the chain to the anchor?

Thanks,

FDR

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

How are you guys connecting the chain to the anchor?

I use these. Found them at Cabela’s.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

I use these for attaching my anchor and also on other things like drift socks etc.Available at any hardware store.Also can get them in stainless steel.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Careful with those. I have heard of ropes getting double-backed and releasing the anchors.

suckerslayer
    Red Wing, MN

Quote:

Careful with those. I have heard of ropes getting double-backed and releasing the anchors.

I’ve done it.

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Im sure it can happen but I have used these for years and never lost one yet.Maybe just lucky.I have also thought about sliding on a piece of rubber tubing that will slide back and forth over the joint just for added protection.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.