Tilt and trim

• Derrick Cox
    MN, Eagan

This may sound stupid but i am new to the boating world. I was just wondering is trim and tilt the same? If its not what is the difference?

david_scott
    Twin Cities

yes and no… trim adjust the motor angle as you are motoring, adjusting the trim can give much better performance + speed at higher throttle settings, or a better whole shot when taking off.

Tilt I believe pretty much refers to tilting the lower unit up to higher positions than what would be used in a motoring situation?

muskyman
    Arkansaw, Wisconsin

From what I know, they basically are the same thing. Someone can correct me if I am wrong but trim is when your motor is the lowest it can possibly go. You want your motor “trimmed” all the way down on your hole shot and raise it after you get on plane to improve the performance of your motor. And “tilt” is when you raise your motor up to the top of your trim it will raise at a faster rate, that top part is your tilt. Oops had to put the kids to bed….What he said

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Does anyone have a idea of price diff. to go from a manual tilt to a power trim on a NEW 40hp 4stroke tiller?

bailey99

No!
    They are two completely different functions operated on the same hydraulic motor.

The “tilt” is the motor drive to actually tilt the motor up/down via hydraulics. The actual “tilt” power is not very strong and would not be able to “lift” a motor under full power load at any hi-speeds.

“Trim” is a different section of your “tilt/trim”. The trim is generally two hydraulic rams (silver looking bars) protruding on the engine mount by the transom. These two rams have the “power” and are able to push (tilt) the motor up under hi-speeds.

When you raise your motor, you will hear a “dull” pitch hydraulic sound and the motor generally moves up slowly…….until…….you reach the maximum setting/reach of your trim. Then the “tilt” section of your hydraulics takes over and you hear a “higher pitch” sound and the motor moves up higher and will also move faster. If you look under your motor at this time, you will see your two chrome looking, 1″ diameter, 8″ long hydraulic bars. These are the trim rams I was speaking of above.

Now,
    Garvi asked about adding a tilt/trim to his 40hp tiller. All depends on the year of your motor. If you have a “late” model you could probably contact the manufacture. If it is an early model, you can add a CMC tilt/trim to your motor for around $500. They are a big bolt on and actually give you an engine set back of about 4″.

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

Sorry, not looking to add trim, just the price diff. on a new motor. With or without trim.

dea
    Hixton, WI

It is not worth the price difference to NOT get T&T on a new motor. The resale really takes a hit with out T&T. Also, as you get older, it gets much harder to tilt that motor up by hand…

garvi
    LACROSSE WI

I realize that, I guess I should explain. On the merc website it lists the 40 efi 4 stroke $5050.00 msrp. now when you go down on the specs it lists with assist or trim and tilt. Now we got a quote for $5500.00 for this motor. Now what I am trying to ask is, I take it that the trim is a $450.00 add on to the msrp price of $5050.00. Or am I wrong in this thinking.

dea
    Hixton, WI

That sounds about right in the pricing difference. That is why I would always go for the motor w/T&T. Much more expensive to add it later.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.