Should I buy a Lowrance 522C???

• shayla

I like the idea of a combo unit with internal GPS, but am wondering if this is a good unit or if there’s a better unit for the money? Anyone have any experience with this unit? I can get $100 off at Cabelas if I get it before November 4th.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I have a LMS 527 which is the same unit with dual frequency transducer and it is a great unit. I would recommend a 522 for this price range.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

I have a 522c
    I got it from Wade at Jolly Ann Marime
    Iv’e had a lot of units over the years and this is the best
    IT ROCKS!!!
    GET ONE AND YOU’LL NEVER REGRET IT

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

I think you should buy one and then let your fishing partner test drive it for a while to see if it works OK

I looked on Ebay this afternoon and saw a couple of Lowrance 322C’s for sale with current bids around $225. Is the newer 522 worth the extra money?

Rootski

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

Basically the same unit and features as far as i know. I know tons of people with 332’s and love them. Although the deals can temp me on ebay I prefer to buy from an outlet willing to support after the sale with questions, etc. I just bought a unit last month from Wade at Jolly Ann and the price was great with outstanding service to boot.

brandengifford
    Franklin TN.

I just purchased a 520C and I did some research. I had wanted to get a 522 because of the internal GPS but some consumers reported that the 522 has had some problems with the locating feature on the GPS. So, that’s why I went with the 520.

t-ellis
    Colorado Springs, CO

I’ve ran an internal GPS Lowrance for approx. 150 outings this year and I think it lost position 2 times. You be the judge but i’m pretty sure this is good performance.

ted-merdan

I don’t have a 522 but I do have a 334 on my pontoon and I am disappointed with how slow it locks into position and it’s inablilty to hold this. I run a networked pair of 113’s on my tournament boat and don’t have this problem so I have definitely noticed the difference.

Also last year I ran a pair of networked 111’s and a global map and didn’t have an issue either for comparison because last year I was using Lowrance’s LCG 2K puck and this year it’s the LCG 3K puck with the red terminals…

My $.02!

munchy71
    Stuart, Iowa

Quote:

I just purchased a 520C and I did some research. I had wanted to get a 522 because of the internal GPS but some consumers reported that the 522 has had some problems with the locating feature on the GPS. So, that’s why I went with the 520.

You can actually add the external antenna to the 522 using the NEMA network, and have NO locating feature issues. I did this with mine and now I have the best of both worlds. GPS/Sonar on my boat with the external antenna, and in my soft pack for ice fishing with the internal antenna.

-Munchy

hookem
    Hastings,Minn.

I have a 522C and really like it. Haven’t had a bit of trouble with it.

farmboy1
    Mantorville, MN

Quote:

I have a 520 and it is a great finder. My only real complaint is that it is slow in zooming, in or out. Also if you are zoomed in and traveling fast, the GPS will not keep up. I don’t know if it is a memory thing, but it really sucks sometimes.

Husker26
    Gretna, NE

What does everyone else think is the best buy out there for under $400.00? My boat only cost $1100.00 and can’t justify spending more than that on a fish finder

shayla

Thanks for all the insights, but after a little bit of advice from Calvin, and another awesome Cabelas deal I have decided to go with the LCX25c. Looks like a GREAT unit and the larger screen will be nice on a combo unit, too!

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Slip…what does the LCX 25C have that the 520/522 doesn’t? What was it that changed your mind?

Thanks

Rootski

shayla

It’s BIGGER! It’s gotta be better, right?

PM on the way.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

I am wondering the same things I am looking for a combo unit and I am interested in what every one has to say, slip sinker can you send me that same PM?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.