E85 outboards?

• WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

This topic has probably been brought up before, but I was wondering if they make outboard motors that run on E85? I know my little yamaha can run up to 10% ethanal, but no more. And if they don’t, why not, besides the the fact of political reasons. I would think that it would possibly be better especially if it runs cleaner.

fishinallday
    Montrose Mn

Weaver,

None of the motors that I’m aware of can run E85. My assumption is that E85 will not perform in the new Direct Injected motors. If I remember correctly it burns at a different temperature than regular gas. The other issue that I have is efficiacy. You loose roughly 15 to 25% of your fuel econimy when using E85. (Atleast in cars.)

This are only my thoughts and not fact. Somone that knows fuel systems better than I may be able to elaborate.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The biggest reason, other than peformance, to not run E85 in any engine not designed to run it is….. drum roll please….. the stuff is more caustic/harsh than regular gasoline, and will eat/shrink/expand different seals (o-rings predominately) and cause MAJOR problems for you !!!

big g

WeaverBottom
    SE Minnesota

I’m not running E85. I was just wondering why they don’t make that in an outboard motor. I would think it would be possible….or no? I mean alot of exhaust ends up in the water, so if this fuel is cleaner, why not design a motor that can run on it?

nick
    Lakeville, MN

Well from my understanding, (limited it may be) there is no real reason it couldn’t be done (as far and manufacturers go) As mentioned the fuel system and lines o-rings and such would have to be able to withstand it, that’s probably the biggest issue for most cars/trucks. The other is going to be consumption and jetting, you’ll use a lot more fuel to get the same preformance, the high octane would also allow for my timing, assuming you could get enough fuel.

Realistically converting a motor to e85, is probably going to be pretty tough, assuming you could change the fuel lines and such to something that would work with the e85, you’d have to find a way to get more gas into the motor, I’m fairly certain a fuel injected motor wouldn’t be able to keep up with the increased need (injector wise, I just doubt it), a carbed motor maybe able to with some rejetting, maybe a bigger carb. Probably not worth the effort or saving.

There is also an issue with the e85, ability to absorb water, not sure that’s a real good thing in a boat…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.