Oil bath hubs?

• timmy

Do any of you ace’s on here have any experience with oil bath hubs vs the standard grease/bearing buddy system on your boat trailer? I have researched it a bit and found the predictable info – that people with something to gain have very biased perspectives….so I am looking for actual user info – pro’s vs cons.

I have a 2001 shorelander(which I hate) with surge brakes that I need to do some fixing on this spring and was considering fitting it with a set of oil bath hubs. I don’t even know if it is possible yet, but was wondering if anybody here had them? I know that at least some rangers come with them from the factory…..

Thanks – Tim

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

I have them on my ranger. I really like them. All I do is change the oil once a year. The problem I see the most with them is they leek a little water. The oil will get white and milky so I will have to change them maybe twice a year. I think maybe it may have to do with putting warm trailer bearings in cold water as well. I think that causes a little condensation inside and turns the oil white and milky and should be changed. I prefer them over regular grease bearings cause of less mess. No dirty greese gun to handle. Although changing oil does take a little longer so its not a fast but less mess. I think it took me about 15 min. per hub alowing the oil to drain and refill.
    My 2 cents

timmy

Stickboy – How has your bearing life been with these? I have been very lucky with standard hubs, but thought that the oil bath option may give better longevity. I really like the thought of being able to check the hubs with just a glance.

Since I have to replace a caliper that broke and came completely loose on the highway, I thought that this would be a good opportunity. I am lucky I did not have excessive damage!

Tim

jay55447
    Plymouth MN.

As far as bearing life goes I can only say my boat has gone through 3 seasons and no trouble yet. as far as longevity goes three years is all I can speak for. My standard hub trailers not boat trailers though have gone for several years with no problems either. There may be others here that have had the oil bath hubs longer than I and may have some more insight on longevity. I know buckshot has had his boat 2 years longer than I and has not had any problems with his hubs. I think maitanence is key no mater which hub you go with.

Which is cheaper to do?
    how long do you plan on keeping your boat? If a new one is in sight it may not be worht the extra $ Just a couple questions i would be asking myself if I were in the same spot.

timmy

Well I plan on giving this boat to my 10 month old boy – for his graduation present….if I am not done with it yet……so let’s just say I am keeping it a while.

I have been lucky so far and have got 4 years on my current set of bearings. They look great, but I will change them this spring just to be safe. I figure they are very cheap insurance.

I know there are a bunch of guys on here with a lot of miles on these type of hubs…..guys????

clintm
    mazeppa mn

If properly maintained bearings should last the life of the trailer with either style. Just inspect the bearings and races for pitting if they are not pitted they are fine.

et1770
    Shakopee, MN

The biggest question to me is, how many miles being put on the boat trailer each year? Over the road trucks use oil bath bearings because they run cooler and last longer. But those guys are driving 2500 miles a week, which justifies the added expense. If you’re only hauling your boat a few miles a week, you have to really ask yourself if it is worth the added expense.

timmy

I looked into “turbo-lube” hubs. They were in the $100/pair range. It seems the fewer trips I make a season, the more important it is that those trips come off smoothly.

Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.